[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 73 KB, 1024x577, 1314136317410.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3800119 No.3800119 [Reply] [Original]

I've been writing trig functions in colored pencils and coming up with similar visual tricks to try and make my math notebook more interesting and personal. I like colorful things and seem to learn almost all visually, and people have really interesting--and varied--reactions to my rainbow notes.

I'd like to think interest and fun are directly correlated to success in whatever field, so I was wondering if you guys ever had any particular turning points where you suddenly found math more interesting (mostly because I need a motivational boost and want to think of more ways to make math seem less like a chore).

I found myself much more interested in computer science once I realized there were things like NP problems and started taking logic, and I started liking chemistry a lot more after synthesizing something. Still, I haven't yet broken the boredom barrier that prevents me from becoming a good mathematician.

>> No.3800153

I started to find math fun once I became proficient at it...and then I became more and more proficient until I reached the level of 'good'. At this point math became even more interesting.
Now I am majoring in math in university and every class is like an extended orgasm (very little exaggeration).

how to get into this upward spiral of mathy goodness? cover your basics. math is *not* hard until you get to proofs. If you need to go back and cover multiplication, division, fractions, ratios, whatever, do it.

I have a math professor friend who says that the top thing that undergrads don't know in math is fractions.

and of course practise, practise, practise. no other way to become good at something.

>> No.3800154

Well, it doesn't make math fun, necessarily, but I have a rule that good math teachers explain why shit works as well as how it works, and bad teachers only explain how. I've come across lessons before that are literally nothing more than LOL THIS SHIT TOTALLY WORKS, ENTER IT INTO YOUR CALCULATOR IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME BRO.

>> No.3800262
File: 10 KB, 540x400, 1275967242008.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3800153
I understand that you would have more fun doing something you're good at, but what sort of mindset were you in when you decided to practice so much before then? How can it become more enjoyable?

>> No.3800287

>>3800262
It was waaay back at the end of grade 8. I finished up the year with an 80% in math but god I had struggled and I felt like I didn't know anything that was taught that year.
I took the summer between gr.8 and 9 to study everything that I hadn't paid attention to in years previous. I relearned the 'whys' of addition, multiplication, division, and subtraction. I relearned fractions, and I practised a heck of a lot of BEDMAS.
it's really simple stuff, and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I had trouble with these things. But relearning these basics was the best decision I've ever made.
Once you know the rules (i.e. +,-, /, *) of the game (i.e. math), you can play the game properly.

The mindset? I wanted to not feel stupid. That was it.
Set aside some time weekly, or maybe over a holiday, to cement the basics. If you can, hire a tutor or something to make you accountable.