[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 56 KB, 500x667, Pikachukitty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3797912 No.3797912 [Reply] [Original]

i just did a titration lab in college and I ended up with a 0% average deviation. I'm really scared right now because I didn't cheat and i'm afraid that my prof is going to not believe me and I'll get i a lot of trouble for fabricating my data. What should I do?

>> No.3797950

If your data does not look otherwise suspicious and you calculations are correct he has nothing to complain about.

>> No.3797955

Are you sure you are measuring to a high enough resolution?

>> No.3797957

> lie about your data so he doesn't think you're lying about your data

>> No.3797976

i'll upload a pic. I legitimately got these values

and yes I am very worried because the odds of this happening are so low and I here about horrible things happening to people all the time

>> No.3797985

It took me at least ten seconds to realize that that didn't read "tit-ration." Like someone out there is rationing out tits.

Anyway, take your results or whatever to your prof and be all like "I keep getting really weird results." Because, well, that's true, and it will eliminate any doubt that you're trying to slip one past him.

>> No.3797990

In the discussion, talk about why the result had no deviation and make note of the likelihood that a repetition of the titration procedure would produce results that have a deviation value other than 0%.

>> No.3797994

Dude, it's gen chem, the grad students grading your papers don't care that much. A friend of one of the grad students in my lab used to grade gen chem lab reports by not reading them and failing all of them and giving points back to whoever cared enough to come and ask why. Though I personally think that is a retarded system which favors the whiny, the point remains that no one gives a shit. If that is what your data says, then it was what your data says. That DOES happen sometimes.

>> No.3797997

>>3797985
are you sure? that almost seems suspicious too

>> No.3798008

>>3797997
It will make him examine your results very closely. If he finds an error, no problem, that's why you came to him. If he doesn't find an error, then he's seen your work for himself.

>> No.3798089

>>3798008

No, it won't, it will make him annoyed that this freshman came to ask a question because his results were too good for a very basic procedure where the sensitivity of the measurements isn't very high. If this were happening in a physical chemistry lab, then sure, bring it to the professor, as it likely means a problem with the equipment, but this is a fucking gen chem class. If I had to guess, I'd say OP's measurements came from a burette with milliliter markings and subdivisions and stopping when the indicator (probably phenolphthalein) changed color. It's not a super precise measurement and it will sometimes do this in small data sets. It's not unheard of, and I doubt anyone will make a fuss over it. ESPECIALLY if he comments on it in

>> No.3798098

>>3798089

comments on it in the discussion section of his lab report.

>> No.3798551

>>3798089
alright, I made a few comments on the unlikeliness of this happening in the discussion part. Thanks for the reassurance, and as a follow-up both of your predictions about my lab equipment/indicator were correct haha

>> No.3798596

>>3797912
You can go over or under, so hitting the exact middle is possible. In a class room of people, someone might hit it.

If you actually want to tick him off, tell him his lab has crappy measuring equipement, and your mad titty skills are wasted here!

>> No.3798614

Whenever I got results that were too accurate in a lab, I always tweak a couple numbers to increase the uncertainty. Safest bet.

>> No.3798692

>>379861
my prof. initials our data before we go out of the lab and he has us write it in pen