[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 11 KB, 441x349, water.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3797350 No.3797350 [Reply] [Original]

I was watching some sciency shit on Khan Academy and a semirelated question popped into my head. When I read dem Feynman lectures he mentions that if we leave a water in a closed cup it will evaporate (a part of it, that is) and condensate a million times, but without us noticing it.

Pic attached, will diffusion happen? Will steam molecules spread and condensate in both chamber until the water is the same level or what?
What conditions do we need for it? I assume some sort of temperature gradient spread over the chambers, but what exactly? What would happen if I let it in a room? How much time would it need?

>> No.3797359

That's just a normal process. Some atoms escape and some return.

>> No.3797367

>>3797350
If the whole thing was the same temperature, , then cooled back at the same rate I do not think they would be equal on both sides. However I think you correct about a temperature gradient over the system, a lower temp on the left side would draw more water vapor over

Also why the hell is my captcha in comic sans?

>> No.3797368

why don't you actually do it?

>> No.3797369

Try it and post some OC. This is "Science & Math" not "google".

>> No.3797383

>>3797359
Yeah, it's closed. Hermetically.

>>3797368
>>3797369
You are right. Why dont I wait for the thing i'm not sure is even possible to happen? Science and Math? I though this was EK & 300k starting.

>> No.3797386
File: 1.94 MB, 831x1139, cutey_Emma_coolblack.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How much liquid will turn to gas is dependent on the termodynamical parameters and the substance. Since the volume V is given, it mostly depends on the temperature. At some point there will be equilibrium and nothing else will change anymore. The scenario with perfect balance of water left and right will not happen.

See for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clausius%E2%80%93Clapeyron_relation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_heat

>> No.3797409

it will even out into both chambers, yes, but it's gonna keep diffusing, but because both sides diffuse the same amount you won't notice.

>> No.3797418

>>3797386
Standard environment variables assumed.

I'm kind of stupid, but could you elaborate on
>there will be equilibrium
>erfect balance of water left and right will not happen
Shouldn't equilibrium be present in both liquid and steam states of matter?

>> No.3797431

>krap academy

sage

>> No.3797444

>>3797431
You have better place for video lessons?

>> No.3797456

>>3797444
No, I'm a huge faggot, please rape my face.

>> No.3797479

>>3797431

achievement unlocked!

new psn network icon and killstreak available for selection.

5000 khan points until level up.. lvl 32 algebraic recon sergeant

the cawl o doody generation.

keep on grinding

>> No.3797480

Bumping for answer.

>> No.3797618

The water on the right hand side will evaporate and move to the left hand side. At room temperature a small fraction of the water molecules will have enough energy to break free from the surface of the puddle. Once mobile, the water molecule can bounce around, stick to the sides of the container or re-enter the liquid water. If, enough of these water molecules migrate to the left hand side, the mass of the water on either side will start to balance. Once balanced, the exchange rate between the left and right sides will offset and you will be in a constant state of equilibrium. To answer the second part of your question, the rate at which this happens depends on A) the temperature of the water (hotter water = faster process) and B) the side of the hole connecting the two sides (Bigger hole = better chance the random motion of the water will bring it to the other side.)

>> No.3797914

>>3797618
Thanks for helping man.