[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 32 KB, 320x320, atheism.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3795434 No.3795434 [Reply] [Original]

Atheists are fucking annoying.

Now, not all of them are. Many are cool, but goddamn the annoying ones are literally the most annoying people on the planet. And do you want to know why?

Because they're acting like religion is interfering with their daily lives. It really isn't. You're looking for shit to piss you off. You're only supporting gay people because it helps you bash religion and it makes you feel smart.

Newsflash: Religion is fucking ridiculous. We don't need you guys pointing it out 24/7. Most of life is ridiculous, but if you're enjoying yourself, who gives a shit?

And who gives a shit about what the 'truth' is anyways? If it's soul crushing and depression, I'll pick delusion all the fucking way. (Annoying) Atheists are as absorbed with bitching about religion as Christians are about religion in general. There is not much life being lived in either scenario. And to top it all off, they rip on religion's dark history (the crusades and whatnot) and act as though most people who are just awkward Christians today mirror that shit. Just as how hardcore religious-folk can bring up the giant "MUSLIM/LIBERAL/ATHEIST" boogeyman, atheists are pulling the same shit with literally ALL religious people. It's the same persecution complex, so stop acting like you're above religious people and are somehow more 'evolved'.

And also, if you use any of these words/phrases fucking die:

"FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER"
"BURDEN OF PROOF"
"THOR"
"RELIGION IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL LOL"
"IF ATHEISM IS A RELIGION THEN NOT COLLECTING STAMPS IS A HOBBY"
"DO YOU BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS TOO"
"LOL ARE THESE PEOPLE STILL LIVING IN THE STONE AGES"

>> No.3795443

>>3795434

depressing*

>> No.3795452

modern atheism is a religion. a religion of morons who think they know the "truth" instead of admitting they dont know shit and will trust _____ based on faith. atheists are worse than theists. atheists have churches, symbols, leaders, and more religious traits.

modern atheism is just a new religion for angry teenagers who want to rebel against mommy and daddy

>> No.3795457

>BURDEN OF PROOF
op is mad, burden of proof goes way way way back to logic, it has nothing to do with religion.

it has to do with people making unproveable claims

>> No.3795470

>>3795457

OP here. I understand that, don't get me wrong. But in literally every 'debate' I've seen on this now god forsaken imageboard, that one fucking line has been used repeatedly, and it is literally the most annoying fucking thing. What if no one says ANYTHING about a 'higher force'/'programmer', etc. Are you going to go and say "Hey, there's no God." Because if you did, it'd probably be fucking annoying to be spammed with LOL BURDEN OF PROOF FAGGOT. I hate the way that stupid line has been used on this site. And yes, I am mad. I am really fucking mad.

>> No.3795480

>>3795470
i guess i'd be mad too if i was a theist in the dying ages of theism.

Kind of like being a king right about the time the feudal age is winding down and they start getting beheaded.

>> No.3795477
File: 27 KB, 650x415, board games.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795452
>modern atheism is just a new religion for angry teenagers who want to rebel against mommy and daddy
>implying teenagers are the only atheists
>implying most intelligent people aren't atheists

>> No.3795482
File: 16 KB, 324x300, MPSopfag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>And also, if you use any of these words/phrases fucking die:
lol, 4/7 for me.

>> No.3795487

>>3795477
burden of proof is on you homo

historys greatest geniuses were theists and sciences greatest breakthroughs were all done by theists

>> No.3795493

>>3795487
too bad we live in >2011 when everyone smart is an atheist huh?

>> No.3795497
File: 59 KB, 825x515, toddlers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795477

>> No.3795498

>>3795482

Congrats faggot

>>3795480

I'm not a theist, but yeah I agree that would suck and I was in such a position I'd be a mad motherfucker.

>>3795477

Even Sagan, this image board's God (for rightful reasons) called himself an Agnostic. So for all the "THERE IS NO MIDDLE POSITION CALLED AGNOSTIC LOOK UP THE DEFINITION" annoyingness spouted, you guys should start bitching about your hero first.

>> No.3795503

>>3795493

>too bad we live in >2011 when everyone smart is an atheist huh?

[ ] Slightly told
[ ] Very told old
[ ] Toldasaurus rex
[x] Knights of the Told Republic

>> No.3795505
File: 15 KB, 300x326, 1309936416353.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795497
>board games
moron.

>> No.3795506

>>3795493
is this how atheists argue? i thought you all called yourselves 'rational'

do you know what burden of proof means? damn teenagers.

>> No.3795507
File: 54 KB, 360x470, laughing at computer 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795497

>> No.3795511

>>3795477

OP here. I'd say that most intelligent people are a mix of all of the possibilities. Einstein was a deist, Schrodinger and Planck had some pretty out there looks on life, Dyson and Penrose, despite being atheist, were much the same with 'out there' shit, and Max Tegart, Hawking, and many other big names are atheist. It's a pretty spread out board. I'm not advocating for any side. Hell, I think atheists who become atheists for rational reasons are cool. I just think annoying atheists (which from my bullshit statistics make up like 90% of them) are literally the most annoying fucking people in the world.

By the way your hero Michio Cock-oo isn't even an atheist.

>> No.3795512
File: 142 KB, 236x299, 87654354364756.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

so OP, which religion do you follow? You wouldnt happen to be an atheist yourself would you? mighty hipocritical of you dontcha think?

>> No.3795517

i used to be christian but im gay and got kicked out of my church bitch

>> No.3795519
File: 14 KB, 429x410, ohdearlord computer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795505
>but technicality

>> No.3795520

Both christians and atheists has people that are annoying. As a atheist i dont care if you believe or not, but if i meet someone who cant decide i will try to convince him to my rights. I think you would too. Of course if someone starts conversation about existing God or not, then examples you wrote down (Thor, burden of proof etc.) are good arguments in this kind of discussion.

>> No.3795522
File: 15 KB, 251x197, loooool.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795517
for real?
LOOOOL!

>> No.3795524

>>3795520
hahaha atheist intelligence and logic PERSONIFIED

>> No.3795525

>>3795503
>>3795493

OP here. Holy shit, that samefaggery.... Jesus Christ man, couldn't you be a bit more subtle?

>>3795512

EK why are you such a stupid fuck. Also, I'm in the "I Don't fucking know" category. I'm not an agnostic, or atheist, and I'm certainly not religious, so I guess that leaves me somewhere else. I don't think I'm "above" anybody. I think religious people are kinder than me, and I'm sure that there are many smart atheists and theists who could kick my ass in debates about random shit. But when one hivemind calls out another hivemind for being a hivemind, it gets really fucking annoying. Especially when people rally for appreciating this life and then proceed to do nothing but bitch.

>> No.3795533
File: 21 KB, 373x330, xkcd774.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795525
<<<OP

and that makes you an atheist, you fucking moron! no belief = atheist.

>> No.3795538
File: 8 KB, 417x429, agnostic=atheist.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795533

>> No.3795540

>>3795520

I can respect that man. Don't get me wrong, I think in the end we're all people, and that people can be good or bad. It's when groups put up a boogeyman and say that it is the cause of evil. Religious people did it many centuries ago, and now many atheists are doing the same thing but somehow acting like they're "rational" about it. I can respect where you're coming from, and while I find the Thor argument fucking annoying one way or another, it's totally cool to mention it in a random conversation over some confused/disgruntled dude.

I would rip on Christfags, but (online anyways), they just don't piss me off as much, honestly.

>> No.3795544

>>3795538
>i read a dawkins book that said agnostix are atheists and now i will tell it to everyone i know like the gospel truth XD

hmmmm sounds like something atheists claim they hate about religious folks

>> No.3795545

I hear significantly more whining about atheists than I ever actually do from atheists.

Sage for stupid.

>> No.3795547

>>3795533

I literally addressed that fucking picture in my comment because I knew a fucking retard like you would use it. First of all, I don't think I'm above anybody, certainly not a group. Groups have lots of people. I'm one fucking person.

Secondly, I didn't say I have "no belief". I said I don't know what my belief is. For fucks sake EK, this is my first time talking to you and I can see why people fucking hate you so much. If there was a religion focused on fucking killing you, I think we could finally band together and have peace.

>> No.3795550

>>3795524
WTF is your problem, christfag. Did i write something wrong? I dont want to argue with you, cause i did that alot of times with your kind, dude, and I know all yours arguments and tricks. There funny for me too.

>> No.3795555
File: 556 KB, 1052x1921, 1307378130148.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795544
agnosticism isn't a position of belief, it just means that god/s are unknowable.
if you have a religion you are a theist, otherwise you are an atheist. there is no middle ground.

>> No.3795558

>>3795545

OP here. http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/

Also, I saged your mom last night

>> No.3795562
File: 273 KB, 464x350, 130534534534189.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795547
>I literally addressed that fucking picture in my comment because I knew a fucking retard like you would use it.
haha! i noticed, that's why i chose it.

>> No.3795565

>>3795555
>even though agnosticism has been used the exact same way since the beginning of time and is even referenced in every encyclopedia throughout human history in the same way, dawkins said its not true and i believez it so that settles it

lol atheist religion

>> No.3795568
File: 242 KB, 474x357, 0129843084.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795547
>I didn't say I have "no belief". I said I don't know what my belief is.
also you are fucking retarded. how can you have a belief in something and not even know what it is?? if you hold a belief, you are aware of it. you hold no belief, you are an atheist, but more importantly, you are a douchebag.

>> No.3795569

>>3795562

Well at least you admit that you're retarded

>> No.3795570

>>3795565

That made me laugh my ass off man, cheers.

>> No.3795573

>>3795568

OP here. Look, I understand for people like you, it makes sense to branch things into ATHEIST AND THEIST LOL xD But you're going to have to realize that, in my own words, I said "I DON'T KNOW WHAT MY BELIEF IS". I didn't say I have no belief. I didn't say I have a belief. I am actually choosing the fucking middle ground, and yes, it is fucking there. It's annoying "READ THE GOD DELUSION.. THE WHOLE WORLD IS SHEEPS LOL AND I'M AWAKE" fuckheads like you that insist time and time again that there can't be a middle ground that piss me off. There is one, and if there is no fucking name, that's fine. But I don't know if I believe in anything or not. I'm literally torn 50/50. And worst of all, I hate associating with both sides. Not because I'm above them or anything, but because there's just as much shit to go with the good stuff.

>> No.3795574

The fact that EK is such a fucking militant atheist makes me disgusted with the whole movement and inclined to support OP.

Get off your high horses.

>> No.3795575

the problem with saying you're agnostic is that EVERYONE is. agnostic, essentially, means that you don't know. which means fucking nothing, because no one knows whether or not there's a god. if no one knows, it comes down to belief. so you're atheist or theist.

>> No.3795576

>>3795558
>reddit
How about no.

>> No.3795581

Whats wrong with Thor? I've been using him as an example when somebody mentions some variant of pascal's wager towards me for decades before whatever quote has your panties in a bunch.

And I mean it too. Thor is way more badass then any of the Abrahamic characters and worshiping him was at least once a tradition of my ancestors rather then being from some story from a desert region I have no connection to.

If I was going to pick gods to worship, it would be him.
Or Freyja.

I'm from a generation in which we generally shut the fuck up about being atheists except when eachother's company as cold war propaganda had put us on the wrong side of our communities, so I suppose I have no idea what its like to be exposed to playground atheists that mistake philosophy for a fasion accessory.

>> No.3795584
File: 248 KB, 840x1600, owned.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795573
You have heard of god/s, you have heard the things people believe about him/her/them. You have heard of christianity, Islam, Judaism, various other religions.
And yet you have not joined in, you are aware of their beliefs and you have not accepted them as your own. that is a conscious decision. You have made your choice, and you ARE an atheist, you are just in denial. You don't want to be grouped with atheists because you perceive them as arrogant fuckheads.

>> No.3795589

>>3795576

My thoughts exactly. That website is literally worse than every evil act done in the name of religion.

>>3795575

I think that's ridiculous honestly. I wouldn't call myself an agnostic because there is too much bullshit associated with that name already. Haven't you ever been undecided before? About whether true love exists (in your eyes)? About what you want to become in life? About fucking anything? It's sensible to be undecided, wouldn't you agree? If someone says "Hey are you going to x school or y school", wouldn't you take some time to think about it?

I certainly would, and those are trivial things. Picture the actual MEANING of your life. If you're telling me that you can't be undecided about that, then that's just retarded. I understand that at the end of the day, It comes down to faith and I'll have to think of something, but I don't see how being undecided is some evil act.

>>3795574

I can respect that man. I'll apologize for most of my generalizations, and I'm almost certain that you are a way cooler person than I will ever be.

>> No.3795596

>Atheists are fucking annoying.

How about YOU'RE fucking annoying, spouting off about religion on a board that has as one of its posting rules "NO FUCKING RELIGION."

Atheism: the DISBELIEF in a god or gods. As in, *not* believing. Period.

Your arguments and asshurt are irrelevent to what I choose to use as my guiding principles for life. It's none of your business. Stop acting like a jealous spoiled child and get over it.

Have a nice day.

>> No.3795598

>>3795584

Quick question, why do you want people to be atheists so bad? Your dedication is fucking religious. You're just like extremist religious people who want to have people labelled as "Christian" or "Muslim" over fucking technicalities.

I don't join in on religion, but I don't hate it. I still think that there's a lot for me to learn before I can come to a decision about the MEANING OF LIFE ITSELF. Just because there are a few retarded guesses at it doesn't mean that it automatically has to be opposite.

>> No.3795599

>>3795434
>We don't need you guys pointing it out 24/7

I don't. I have Christian friends and tbh it's never come up in conversation.
I don't give a fuck what peoples personal beliefs are and I'm not going to argue the point with them as it's not fucking important and it solves nothing.

>> No.3795600

>>3795584
>more propaganda almost repeated verbatim from dawkins youtube videos

wow atheists arent even trying to hide their dogmatism. its almost like theyre quoting scripture.

>> No.3795601
File: 476 KB, 1275x3601, eU3bj.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795584
and yeah, there really is no middle ground.

>> No.3795606

They're just like any other group of people. Most of them are retarded, few of them are exceptional. Although most atheists I've met in person are nowhere near as annoying as the atheists you see online.

>> No.3795609
File: 54 KB, 800x750, norelig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795598
because religion is detrimental to society on several different ways. it brings down science (hurr durr no stem cells fetuses r humans mmmkay?)
it brings down education (hurr durr, teach creationism in public schools) (hurr durr, ban evolution, its just a theory, a geuss)
it causes wars (northern island inter-christian wars, israel/palestine, crusades, jihads, etc)

>> No.3795614
File: 34 KB, 400x381, t_god__knock_it_off_206.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Greetings from /tg/.

Good to see the 'intelligent' board is just as stupid as the rest of us.

Carry on folks.

E=MCTROLLED apparently.

>> No.3795618

>>3795609
and yet atheist communism killed hundreds of millions of people and caused the collapse of civilization (and thus science and technology) in just a few short decades

>> No.3795628

>>3795601

I agree that it is a problem when it holds down Science, and especially Stem Cell research. But you've got to realize that a lot of that is in the hands of a few men at the very top, who honestly couldn't give a shit either way.

In regards to war, people cause wars.There will always be war. The only difference is nowadays people sit in giant rooms with fancy suits on while they start fighting. They don't go out on the battle fields anymore. Also, 'Imagine no Science', 'Imagine no Buildings', 'Imagine no Wings', all of those can fit into the context of that retarded picture.

>>3795609

>> No.3795637

>>3795606

OP here. Despite my personal brushups with atheists (that were literally identical to online conversations with them), I think that you made the most sensible post in this whole conversation, and I commend you for it. Thank you.

>>3795614

In case you didn't notice, it's the same fat asian fucks circulating around every board, there's no real difference between any of them if you're literate.

>> No.3795638

>>3795618
that wasn't due to atheism. it was not a case of "kill all the religious people! there are no gods, believe in no gods or we will all kill you!"
Stalin killed people with no regard to religion, whether they were atheists or not.

>> No.3795643

>>3795628
If islam did not exist, there would be no jihadists who would be willing to fly planes into buildings. They believed they would instantly be transported to paradise after the collision.

>> No.3795644

>>3795589
my point is, saying you're agnostic doesn't mean anything.
it's either saying:
"i don't know if there's a God" which no one knows, or
"i don't know if I believe there's a God", which doesn't make sense because if you have a belief, it's something conscious which you know you have. if you don't have the belief, you don't have the belief. if you believe in God, then you know that you believe in God.

i'm not saying that you can't have a middle ground. you can still be less adamant than other atheists, and claim that you're not sure what to believe, but my point is, that's still a form of atheism. atheism stretches over a spectrum.

>> No.3795645
File: 15 KB, 640x421, facepalm4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw atheists feel are absolutely certain about their stance that, "God doesn't exist" and that they are sure about what exists and does not exist in this reality

Haven't you learned anything from the events that transpired today and yesterday?

>> No.3795648

>>3795645
no, most atheists are agnostic atheists. we dont believe in god, but we will change our minds if we ever find any evidence that makes us inclined to do so.

>> No.3795652

>>3795638
oh wow, so not only are you an atheist evangelist but youre also completely uneducated on history.

marxists specifically persecuted religious groups, they sought to specifically destroy churches and expel religious belief. atheism was one of, if not the most, important core tenant of their intended social structure. they even said so themselves, having been quoted numerous times talking about the importance of atheism to their goals.

>> No.3795649
File: 21 KB, 220x220, that's the way it is.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795434

This is literally the most pathetic post ever to grace /sci/.

You immaculate faggot, get out of here.

>> No.3795656

Don't get atheists mixed up with anti-theists. Just like not all Christians want to stick a bible down your throat, not all atheists are trying to disprove religion or hate on people who follow it.

>> No.3795658

>>3795644

Again, I'm insanely curious, why is this 'branching' of atheism so similar to the 'branching' of Christianity when people started to deviate?

If me saying: I don't know the meaning of life. I don't know which way I lean at all. I am still thinking it through.

=

Me being an atheist, then all I can say is wow.

>> No.3795662

>>3795648
Does that automatically make you an agnostic atheist?

I do not believe any type of god exists, anywhere.
There is no logic to the whole belief system.

But if someone PROVES (scientifically) a god exists, I will have to believe.

I don't see how that makes me an agnostic atheist.

>> No.3795663

>>3795601
except wrong. there is no such thing as gnostic theists or gnostic atheists.
i'll say it again: no one knows whether or not there's a God. there has been no circumstantial evidence either way. so everyone is agnostic - saying "i'm agnostic" means nothing.

>> No.3795665

>>3795649

By all means, point out what's so disgraceful about it, you faggot. Considering how much shit is usually on the first page of /sci/, I think you're just a bitter fuckhead.

>> No.3795668

>>3795656

Duly noted. It's just that most of the time, "anti-theists" flaunt their atheism in insane ways. They just make guys like you look shitty. You seem cool, and I thank you for your input, and I agree, for what it's worth.

>> No.3795683
File: 29 KB, 600x200, agnostic.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795663
same poster, just to visually show what i'm saying, i drew a picture.

>> No.3795686

I think you'll find a lot of the arrogant, moronic atheists are the ones who haven't actually thought their position out.

>> No.3795687

Atheism is not a religion. It is a lack of faith. A lack of faith is not faith. Not collecting stamps is not a hobby. Atheism is not the Big Bang theory and it is not the theory of Evolution. Science is not a religion, it is a method for discovering new knowledge. Atheism is only a religion in the same way that not believing is Santa Clause is also a religion. If everything you don't believe in is considered a religion then there are an infinite amount of religions. The burden of proof lies on people claiming that a god exists. There is no purpose for our existence, only causes. Morality is independent of religion. Actions done under the belief that punishment awaits are impure. "Good" and "bad" are only human perceptions.
Religion is the epitome of ignorance, it is a deadly ignorance. It is an abomination and insult to reason. It is a political tool used to control large populations. It is a security blanket for those that fear death. It is a cheap answer to questions that science cannot at this time explain. It is the result of a lack of information. Religion is holding mankind from it's potential.
Religion continues to exist because of tradition, early indoctrination and an emotional response to deny the coldness of reality. Once indoctrinated the believer becomes loyal to his religion. Because he has invested so much of his life/time and emotion into his religion he becomes openly hostile to people that question his faith. He responds with anger and emotion instead of curiousity. He is unable to look critically at his beliefs. Religious people are feelers. They believe in their religion because they WANT it to be true. They are our lost brothers and sisters.

>> No.3795688
File: 33 KB, 545x500, disapproval turtle.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3795452

Really.

Is this what we've come to.

>> No.3795692

>>3795662
because we do not know for sure. god COULD exist, but if so, he is doing a very good job of hiding and pretending he isnt there. therefore we are agnostic atheists.

>>3795663
some people believe they know for sure, they are 'certain that god exists' they 'feel him in their hearts' etc.
they would count as gnostic theists. some gnostic atheists also exist (very rare group though), the arrogant fuckwits who 'know for certain' god cant possibly be real.

>> No.3795693

I'm so fucking sick of people bashing on Atheism. Go fucking die in a fire. You're so fucking annoying. You're just as bad as the religious fucks.

>> No.3795705

>>3795687

Jesus Christ man, it's like you're quoting the bible.

First off, with formal definitions, you are absolutely right, atheism is not a religion. And yes, as stated many times, religion can lead to indoctrination, as well as lots of political bullshit. You have to realize though that the people pulling the strings don't really give a shit, as long as they are in power. You also have to realize that in the finite life we have, it's a lot better to not bitch so much when you realize that everyone lives a relatively normal life. Seriously, your life is probably identical to a regular Christian dude's life, save for a few minor differences.

The main point is that while atheism isn't a religion, the 'victim' mentality that is played up by all groups is there. The same tribe mentality that many atheist people insult religion for is there. Just as (for an example) Christians use symbols, like The Cross, as well as words like Salvation, many atheists come with a wave of 'Skepticism' and 'Rationality', which in turn just becomes selective doubting pulled straight out of every new Dawkins book. Of course, I'm not talking about the more rational atheists. I respect them and I think it's a solid stance to take. But there are many that don't think that way.

And finally, every child is given some bias. I can assure you that as there are extremely douchey religious parents, there can also be an extremely douchey atheist parent, believe it or not. People can be douches. But you have to realize that most of the time, people just hold silly traditions and go on about their lives like normal people. So take your copy paste argument somewhere else.

>> No.3795707

what do you call someone that doesnt believe in any religion and isnt atheist either?

>> No.3795708
File: 52 KB, 412x365, is this just.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>And who gives a shit about what the 'truth' is anyways? If it's soul crushing and depression, I'll pick delusion all the fucking way.

Oh OP, what ARE we going to do with you.

>> No.3795710

>>3795693

Suck a dick pansy

>> No.3795711
File: 39 KB, 983x256, aaa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

totally agreed with op