[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 57 KB, 522x366, 32905747.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3779001 [Reply] [Original]

Sorry for wasting your time and being underageb&.

I'm currently 16 and trying to decide what I want to do for a career, or sooner, what to study at university. At school I'm very skilled at math (particularly calculus and algebra), as well as physics, chemistry and I enjoy economics and it's processes. I originally wanted to go into medicine and that's what I wanted to do for a long time, but as time progressed, I've become less interested and my skills lie in other areas.

Can anyone give me possibilities for future job prospects based on these? I was thinking of studying some form of further math and physics, but jobs outside of teaching for pure math seem to be limited. What the job is doesn't really concern me, as all the fields I listed interest me.

Thanks to anyone who bothers to help.

>> No.3779007

>I'm very skilled at math
>I enjoy economics and its processes

Finance.

>> No.3779012

Asking for a well paying job given these fields wouldn't be too much of an ask would it?

>> No.3779022

>>3779007
I have looked at finance, but it seems accounting is required for a lot of areas, which I find tedious and boring. Are there fields which are purely economics?

>> No.3779024

Invest your money in stuff, never work at all, just study the market and invest.

>> No.3779028

Here is a tip, don't just pick a career that you will enjoy.
Pick one that you will enjoy getting to as well.
If traveling to your destination isn't fun you'll likely hate it.

>> No.3779030

>>3779024
I'd rather not have my life built around the world economy which is looking fairly shaky at the moment. Correct me if I'm wrong about that.

>> No.3779039

>>3779028
I honestly don't mind studying, or indeed hard work at all. I was ready to dedicate 6 years to getting into a medicine position, so getting to a job I like isn't the issue. I just have no idea what to do.

>> No.3779042

Since you don't mind hard work try solving a world problem such as aging.

>> No.3779048

>>3779042
4chan is full of people my age whether you like it or not. It's just coincidence that math scares them off your board. Sorry for thinking people here might be mature enough to help me with an issue they have experience with.

>> No.3779064

>Math

Biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, engineering in general...

>> No.3779071

>>3779048
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey_de_grey

>> No.3779090

>>3779064
i second the motion.

>> No.3779091

>>3779071
It appears not only am I incapable of reading, but I am overly hostile.

>> No.3779099

I'm aware of engineering, but I'd rather not do something more practical.

>> No.3779153

Be physicist, invent warp drive.

>> No.3779159

>>3779153
Or easy fusion.

>> No.3779180

>>3779153
But how does one get into that field?

>> No.3779196

OP, you're only 16. I'd say enjoy life as much as you can at this age. Don't worry about the future so much, you can start contemplating when you're a senior, but until then, just live it up. Have lots of fun because growing up is a living hell.

>> No.3779201

>>3779196
I do have a life, and plenty of friends. I'm just concerned that if I don't figure out what I want to do early I'll waste years of uni or be stuck in a job I don't actually enjoy, and will take years to get into another area through retraining.

>> No.3779272

>>3779201
I didn't mean to imply that you don't have a life. Sorry if that post meant it wrong. But I'm just saying for your age, don't worry too much about these things. Be concern about it, but don't lose sleep over it. I had the same mentality when I was 16 as well, always worried about my future, my career and all that crap. I wish didn't worry so much back then

>> No.3779730

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_analyst

Here's my choice. Best job in the world. You are royally paid to exploit the stupidity of others who think they're intelligent by using maths and statistics. You have the adrenaline rush of handling money solely based on your math skills and your talent.
Combines in addition to maths, economics, finance, computer programming and other tools.

>> No.3779748

>>3779001

Have you been taking AP classes? Until you take AP Calc, AP Physics, AP Bio, or whatever, you can't really say you have a natural affinity for shit.

But yeah, look around and find what you're PASSIONATE about. Who gives a shit if you're good at it. Passion is the key.