[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 32 KB, 373x500, stitch551.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3778942 [Reply] [Original]

Am I getting this concept right?
Rb has +1 charge so I go off the charge in the superscript?

Rb = RbNO ; Rb2SO4 ; Rb3PO4

>> No.3778988

op here

for (b) Sr has <sup>2+</sup> charge so for NO<sub>3</sub><sup>-</sup> my answer should be Sr<sub>3</sub>NO<sub>2</sub>

>> No.3779023

Hi friend! You're lucky I'm on adderall. For some reason it makes me unable to focus. I really want to do some chem, but my AP teacher almost died.

I digress.

You would be correct. You need 1 atom of Rb to neutralize the 1 atom of NO3 charge of ^-1 The rest are correct.

Be careful! I used to get the superscript and subscript mixed up. The subscript isn't the charge.

What book is that?

>> No.3779025

[sup] superscript:5

>> No.3779031

>>3779023

Introductory Chemistry 4th edition by Nivaldo J. Tro

not a bad book except the problems at the end of each chapter. Odd ones are all pretty easy compared to the even ones which are significantly harder and of course the answers to even aren't in the back

>> No.3779044

>>3779031
Our class has the Zumdhal edt. (think it's the 8th edit. or something). Same deal. Even answers would be great, could practice something without remembering I did it already.

>> No.3779046

... Isn't this shit the stuff you're supposed to know before highschool? Atomic structure based on charges?

I don't envy the day when you find out about Hess' law.

>> No.3779052

last question and I think I'll be able to manage.

in (b) Sr has 2+ charge to neutralize with NO3- would i write it as SrNO32+

>> No.3779061

>>3779046

It was the first subject in Gen. Chem.

>> No.3779063

>>3779052

WTF why can't i BBCode :(

never took chemistry in high school. I did the bare minimum to get by, took no extra classes. Kicking myself every day being 22 and now being really interested in this stuff

>> No.3779065

>>3779052

No, the overall charge on SrNOsub3 needs to be neutral.

>> No.3779081

>>3779063

Where did yah go to college?

>> No.3779083

>>3779065

how would I write it? SrNOsub5??

>> No.3779089

>>3779081

high school? california. I only needed a year of science beyond freshman year so i chose biology.

>> No.3779115

>>3779052
See
>>3779065

Two things to take into consideration:

1) In almost EVERY chemical formula, the result charge will be neutral. If you end up with a positive or negative charge, you did something wrong. This excludes chemicals such as ammonia, hydroxide, acetate, and others: don't worry about why those don't form neutral charges, just treat them as a whole atom for the sake of your calculations.

2) When your teacher starts explaining valence shells, if you haven't been taught those already, pay attention: understanding that shit will make balancing charges way easier for you.

3) If it seems like you're doing something wrong, you probably are. The laws of chemistry, once you learn them, are actually pretty straightforwards. So if something looks off, you probably screwed up some minor detail.

4) Ask your teacher for help if you don't understand something. Seriously. Just do it.

5) Youtube. Many videos on chemistry there that explain complicated things in very simple terms: good for your grade level.

6) Read ahead in the textbook. When you don't understand something, you'll be able to pay attention to the issue once your teacher brings it up in class.

7) CHNOPS. Acronyms are your friends.

>> No.3779127

>>3779115

8) if you didn't notice I put down seven things but wrote "Two things to consider" then you need to pay more attention to details: stuff like this will really screw you up for labs/on exams.

9) Try to enjoy it. If you don't like chemistry: DONT TAKE IT. You'll only need it for careers that actually involve it, and if you hate chemistry, you'll hate a job involving it.

>> No.3779130

>>3779115

thanks!

i'm still lost though how would I write it as a neutral charge? I got that Sr has 2+ but with the negative charge of NO3- do i change the subscript?

is Sr3NO2 correct?

>> No.3779137

10) Dont forget to disregard elements, such as elemental hydrogen or oxygen, when attempting to balance equations for hess' law calculations, unless it's included in the net equation. You won't understand this now, but try to memorize it: hopefully in the future, this will pop in your head, and save you a headache.

>> No.3779149

>>3779127

I do actually enjoy chemistry I just have a shitty 1st year professor who just got his PhD in O-Chem last year.

smart guy, I like him he just hasn't developed the best teaching skills yet. In the 4 weeks of this semester I've gone in once every week to ask for help but he moves super fast on explaining it then runs off to go do whatever leaving me in a blank state pretty much.

>> No.3779150
File: 17 KB, 325x89, Pb(NO3)2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3779083

The subscript isn't the charge, it's the number of molecules. Don't focus on the subscript in polyatomics.

Look at the picture. What it's saying is that Pb (which has a +2 charge) needs to be neutralized by 2 NOsub3 molecules. (An individual NOsub3 has a -1 charge.

A Pb with +2 and NOsub3 molecules with a -1 charge has to written as Pb(NOsub3)sub2 to indicate it is balanced.

>> No.3779158

>>3779149

Lucky, my gen chem teacher was a dentist.

>> No.3779169

>>3779130

No, not how you're doing it: the subscript as you're changing it is the elemental composition. Changing it is creating an entirely different reaction. You change the ratios of the elements that you use.

Formation of Iron (III) oxide. That's Fe3+, and O2-. Since combining them would result in a net +1 charge, you take 2 iron (III) atoms, and three oxygen atoms, to create Fe2O3, a balanced reaction.

For something like NO3-, you would use brackets in the calculation. All numbers are subscripts, by the way, I just can't show them.

Fe(NO3)2 is Fe + NO3 + NO3

>> No.3779181

Hopefully you either understand it now, or someone else can explain it to you. I'm off.

>> No.3779184

>>3779150

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

seeing the answer to this just helped me put a whole chapter together and understand it!!!!

>> No.3779197

>>3779184

:P I love chemistry!

>> No.3779208

>>3779197

I do to! Even though I'm going for a Computational Economics degree I find it fun as fuck and I'm only in a Chem 120 class.

Chemistry got me thinking that if i wasn't so set on what I am now this would definitely be my major!

I just wish my professor had a few more years behind him in teaching he's an awesome guy. 27 and has his PhD, cool as fuck just a bummer we're his guinea pig class

btw I'm breezing through this homework now so thank you!