[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.03 MB, 200x152, Big_rip[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3762547 [Reply] [Original]

Is the Big Rip basically saying we'll continue as we are now forever? We'll just keep expanding?
Also, how much stuff is in the universe to be stretched? And for that matter, what the hell are we stretching into? That's probably something for another thread.

>> No.3762554

ALSO, what is the most agreed-upon ultimate-fate-of-the-universe theory?
Is there any consensus at all?

>> No.3762564

>And for that matter, what the hell are we stretching into?
The universe is a 3 dimensional bubble expanding across a larger 4 dimensional space(?).
It's like a mobius strip with and added sense of depth.

Personally I think the big crunch is the most plausible, seeing how a universe with a repeating pattern gives sapient life like us the most chances of occurring.

>> No.3762575

>>3762564
>seeing how a universe with a repeating pattern gives sapient life like us the most chances of occurring.
Why would it being more likely to harbor sapient life make the big crunch more plausible? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

>> No.3762589

>>3762547
>And for that matter, what the hell are we stretching into?
You're confused. It doesn't make sense to say "what is the universe stretching into". It is simply expanding. Why does it need something in which to expand? There is no such need.

>> No.3762592

>>3762575
I sort of got the logic backwards, but hear me out:

If the end of our universe was a big rip model, then there's only one instance of existence.
If the universe crunches and then re-expands, then there would be multiply opportunities for a universe to occur where I sit here typing this.

It's not much but there's little to go on in predicting end scenarios.

>> No.3762599

>>3762564
>Personally I think the big crunch is the most plausible, seeing how a universe with a repeating pattern gives sapient life like us the most chances of occurring.
You know that the evidence disagrees with you, right? I mean that the big crunch is not going to happen. We're going to get heat death.

>> No.3762603

>>3762564
>The universe is a 3 dimensional bubble expanding across a larger 4 dimensional space(?).
What is the space then? Does the universe not entail everything that exists?

>>3762589
I guess it's just really hard to visualize. If something is getting bigger, it must have room to get bigger. I guess there aren't really any "walls" for the universe to hit ?

>>3762592
Right, I get that, but you're saying you think the big crunch is most plausible because it makes more opportunities for for life. Why does more opportunities for life = more probable?

>>3762599
Is there anyway to explain in simple terms why the big crunch is a "no"?

>> No.3762609
File: 1.02 MB, 320x240, 1314417472331.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>I guess there aren't really any "walls" for the universe to hit?

>> No.3762610

>>3762603
>Is there anyway to explain in simple terms why the big crunch is a "no"?
The evidence is that the matter in the universe is expanding. Moreover, the rate at which matter in the universe is expanding is increasing.

(Introduction to modern cosmology) 'A Universe From Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss, AAI 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

>> No.3762620
File: 11 KB, 320x271, 1289460442272.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

GUISE.... GUISE!

Listen............. just listen

What IF.....

MULTIVERSE AND STRING THEORY?

>> No.3762627
File: 164 KB, 522x337, cordyceps..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3762620
NOT FORGET QUANTUM ENTANGLEMENT!!

>> No.3762628

>>3762620
RESONANCE CASCADE

>> No.3762629

>>3762620
..Dear god.

>> No.3762632

>>3762609
Sorry, I haven't studied this at all or anything.
Most of what I say will most likely be full-on retarded.
>>3762610
I thought, "Couldn't we just be still on the upslope of expansion?" Then I realized you said we're expanding faster, so we were expanding fastest at the beginning of the big bang, and now we should be slowing down our expansion if the big crunch is right? And then stopping and contracting? How long would the universe spend still, in between expanding and contracting if the theory was true?

>>3762620
I know nothing of either of these aside from what the names imply (multiple universes) and what I've heard from people on television giving simple definitions in time limits for news casters (tons of vibrating strings that get tangled or some shit).

>> No.3762645

> Is the Big Rip basically saying we'll continue as we are now forever? We'll just keep expanding?

It's saying that the expansion will continue to accelerate, until it's so rapid that even subatomic particles will be torn apart

>> No.3762653
File: 203 KB, 445x445, durrr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3762629
...it just might work...

>> No.3762651

>>3762632
>I thought, "Couldn't we just be still on the upslope of expansion?" Then I realized you said we're expanding faster, so we were expanding fastest at the beginning of the big bang, and now we should be slowing down our expansion if the big crunch is right? And then stopping and contracting? How long would the universe spend still, in between expanding and contracting if the theory was true?

We're expanding faster now than we we were 1 billion years ago. The rate of expansion is increasing. The expansion is not slowing down. It's getting faster.

>> No.3762662
File: 2 KB, 307x194, 4dmat10.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3762547
didn't read the thread, but something I found interesting.
http://www.foundalis.com/phy/4Dsphere.htm
>a sphere in 4 dimensions expands infinitely
That always struck me as similar to the Universal Expansion theory.

>> No.3762680

>>3762645
So we'll be torn apart?
Lovely.
Is there any hope for a new universe or are we just doomed to the end of existence despite our accomplishments as a species?

>> No.3762683

>>3762680
OP here.
I think whatever the correct theory is, I can safely say that we're doomed.
That's okay though.

>> No.3762690

What exists after the universe is destroyed?

>> No.3762697

>>3762690
It will never be "destroyed". Fucking cold.

>> No.3762699

>>3762683
>>3762680
I mean I always felt consoled by the fact that eventually mankind would be godlike from our perspective.
Happiness for everyone. Even if I'm dead.
But this just sucks.

>> No.3762707

>>3762699
Honestly I'm just happy to be alive during this whole mystery.

>> No.3762737

Given how much theory and how little hard evidence we have for all of this, there's a very good chance we're completely off the mark. People in 1000 years will likely laugh at what we think now.

>> No.3762766

Neil DeGrasse Tyson said the universe's edge is expanding into a higher dimension.

>> No.3762777

>Is the Big Rip basically saying we'll continue as we are now forever?
The big rip is an event that will occur if we continue to expand at an increasing rate.
>We'll just keep expanding?
I'll assume "we'll" refers to the universe. If so, yes.
>Also, how much stuff is in the universe to be stretched.
Are you asking the total amount of matter in the universe?
>what the hell are we stretching into?
There is no current answer for this. The most reasonable answer is the universe is expanding into nothing. The way this expanding is happening depends on if the universe is a "sphere" or is "flat". If it is a "sphere" the sphere is just getting bigger. Imagine the Earth just getting bigger and bigger. It is much more complicated than this and needs a lot more explaining to understand it at all.
>most agreed-upon ultimate-fate-of-the-universe theory?
I'll assume your asking what is the most logical theory as of today. That would be the universe is going to end up being extremely cold.

The Big Rip is a theory at this point. I don't think there is any way of knowing with what we have available today, if the expansion of the universe effects sub atomic particles. Once more is known about dark matter, an answer will probably be known.

My current theory (almost certainly wrong) on everything. Big Rip will not happen. Universe will continue to expand rapidly. Unless some intelligent 'life-forms' (could be machines or anything for that matter) have some solution, the universe will end up cold and spread apart, but with no big rip.

If anyone knows anything I don't know, I would be glad to hear more. If you have any more questions I'll try and answer them.

>> No.3762779

>>3762766
that's mad retarded

>> No.3762855

>>3762610
OP here.
This video is seriously blowing my mind like nothing ever has before.

>> No.3762883

>>3762855
fuuuuck
i need to be a cosmologist

>> No.3762936

>>3762564
but I thought the universe was expanding exponentially, correct me if I'm wrong.

>> No.3762956

>>3762779
Not if the expansion of the universe is far beyond what we can actually comprehend.

>> No.3762972

Hey, science bros, I have a question for you.

If the Big Crunch were to happen, and if we were somehow still alive and rocking imminently before the universe were to collapse into itself - would there be nothing we can do to escape it?

Presuming, we're a space faring race at that juncture, would we be able to "fly" away from the singularity?

I mean, like fly outside the limits of the universe, into the empty void outside of it - to escape destruction?

Or would it be more like, the walls of the universe are closing in on you, and there's nothing you can do about it?

>> No.3762980

>>3762972
Nope.
Yep.

>> No.3762995

>>3762980
To elaborate a bit on what he said.

The universe going into singularity would mean it is 'shrinking' faster than the speed of light (not accounting for time dilation). No matter how fast you move, it is pulling you back faster.

>> No.3763008

>>3762680
human existance is relative to a fraction of a blink of an eye when compared to the timeline of the universe. humans will be long gone by the time the universe tears itself apart

>> No.3763018

Current most likely candidate for shape of the universe:
Flat, 3-dimensional space with 1 dimension of time, expanding forever. Not a moebius strip, although that possibility isn't ruled out 100% yet.

As for what it's expanding "into".. it isn't. Space itself is expanding. This is a difficult concept to understand intuitively at first but it's very important to get the distinction (and the halfassed balloon/raisin bread analogies people make don't really help).

Imagine it like this: suppose you're holding a thread between your hands, just far enough apart so that the thread is taut. Then, suddenly, the thread is longer, and it hangs down, so you pull your hands out farther to make it taut again. Your hands represent distant galactic clusters, and the thread represents space itself. Everywhere there's space, more space is coming into being.

You yourself aren't stretching out though, because the forces of gravity and the nuclear forces keep everything held together on the scale of people, planets, solar systems, galaxies. Even some galaxies within a cluster that are close enough together to have a strong gravitational pull on each other are currently overcoming the expansive force of dark energy, but clusters that are further away all have the appearance of moving away from each other due to the expansion of space.

One other interesting facet of this that I'm not completely sure on yet but sounds interesting: I've heard it said that the redshift we perceive as those distant galaxies move away from us is not caused by the galaxies actually "moving" (i.e. the expanding space isn't actually "pushing" them away), but rather the wavelength of the light they emit lengthening due to the expansive nature of space in the interval it takes to get to us.

>> No.3763036

hier marschiert der nationale widerstand!

>> No.3763085

So, would the final singularity that envelopes the whole universe be equal in size to the universe itself?

I would presume it would be orders of magnitude larger than a "supermassive" black hole, but how big would it be really?

Finally, what would happen to space immediately where the singularity was after it evaporated due to hawking radiation?

I find it incomprehensible to believe that all the matter in the universe would be condensed into a single point and then just vanish.

Perhaps, this is diving into science fiction territory, but perhaps, just perhaps, do you guys think that the end of the aforementioned singularity would bring life to a new universe?

A Big Crunch ending into a new Big Bang?

>> No.3763101

>>3763085

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bounce

>> No.3763117
File: 359 KB, 1067x853, 217.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3763101
Wow, I just independently invented a theory. I don't know how to feel about this.

>> No.3763123

>>3763117
Too bad it's wrong.

>> No.3763137

>>3763123
Chut up.

Since we in all likelihood, live in a multiverse, that Big Bounce theory is probably happening in another verse as we speak right now. It's fun to to speculate.. ><

>> No.3763203

>>3763085
>So, would the final singularity that envelopes the whole universe be equal in size to the universe itself?
Yes.
>how big would it be really?
Some say it is a 1d point.
>what would happen to space immediately where the singularity was after it evaporated due to hawking radiation?
The radiation would be included in the singularity.
>I find it incomprehensible to believe that all the matter in the universe would be condensed into a single point and then just vanish.
Singularity was the 'start' of the big bang. It probably wouldn't vanish, instead it would create another big bang, meaning new universe. Just realized that's the next thing you were going to say. We don't live in a universe like that though.

>>3763137
>in all likelihood, live in a multiverse
There is a chance, but it is not "in all likelihood". It is actually leaning more towards unlikely.
>happening in another verse as we speak right now
First, we need to assume that we live in a multiverse. I'm going to assume you are talking about the common theory of a universe for every possible outcome. The big bounce might not be a possible outcome.

>> No.3763226

>>3763203
I want to believe in a multiverse. I want to believe there's a universe where I'm with "her". ;_;

>> No.3763231

>>3763226
Hey you faggot you don't believe what you want to believe you believe what's fucking right. You're a dick-head.

>> No.3763237

>>3763231
you're a meanie beanie ;_;

>> No.3763240

>>3763237
I'd rather be mean than be a retard.

>> No.3763246

>>3763240
I'm confusion. If I were retarded, wouldn't that mean I was born that way? You can't choose to be retarded any more than you can choose to be gay.

>> No.3763250

>>3763246
Shut up retard.

>> No.3763259

How's this for 'fun' speculation:

Our universe will end in heat death, but that doesn't rule out prior universes that resurrected in big bounces, with the laws of physics slightly different each time until we arrived in our present universe, where a big crunch will no longer happen. We could be the last universe ever.

>> No.3763284
File: 23 KB, 409x409, 1315793008381.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

It's all fun and games until you realize that life is not all fun and games.

>> No.3763285

>>3763284
God I fucking hate you.

I hope you die soon.

>> No.3763290

>>3763226
Sadly, according to the most used mutliverse theory, I can never be with my waifu.

>>3763259
Good 'speculation' to troll people. As of everything we know today, it is possible. There is 0 evidence to believe it, but it can't be disproven as of yet.

>> No.3763291

mai multiverse waifu

only opportunity I'd ever get to really say that

>> No.3763300

>>3763259
Very intriguing...

Since thermodynamics govern everything in some miniscule way anyway, who's to say that the multiverses currently doing a Big Bounce lose a little (I mean that in the most relative way possible) energy due to heat loss each time?

Thus, the energy present to create the next Big Bounce would be that much smaller, making universes fizzle out of dynamism as they give their energy to a new universe (which will also eventually fizzle out).

Eventually, a single universe would remain (perhaps ours), until it succumbs to heat death as well.

.....Thermodynamics are harsh, man.

>> No.3763314

>>3763284
Actually it's not fun and games until you realize it's not fun and games and develop a mental state capable of solving problems and allowing for fun and games, unless you're rich, but then you'll be a retarded spoiled brat until you realize it's not fun and games.

>> No.3763588

>>3762662
what a great read, i couldn't get through the letter at the end though because I haven't exactly taken calculus yet...