[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 7 KB, 250x200, Franklin_Resources_Logo[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3757906 [Reply] [Original]

Economists of /sci/:

My bank is offering a selection of mutual high risk funds all of which focus on economies of a given continent. They are managed by this company and Citibank.

I'm particularly interested in their Asia fund (it's mostly China) and North America (USA/Canada).

What do you think?

>> No.3757990

Also what is your opinion on mutual funds in general vs. picking your own protfolio?

Assume you have no insider knowledge about the company, obviously.

>> No.3758018

>risk

No.

>high risk

All of my no.

>> No.3758025

>>3758018
Here's a quote for you:
>The safest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your pocket.

Do you prefer investing in "safe" options that return 0.0001% yearly? Jesus Christ.

>> No.3758058

bump

>> No.3758145

bamp

>> No.3758152

If you're coming to fucking 4chan for your investment advice, you're a fucking moron.

>> No.3758161

>>3758152
Of course I'm not. The people here love to debate macro-economy at every opportunity and occasionally say interesting stuff, so I'm curious about what they'd say.

>> No.3758170

>invest in a mutual fund
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHvXKM5pFQ8&t=0m46s

>> No.3758197

>>3758170
Wrong video?

>> No.3758223

>>3758197
That is what I'd say.

Unless there is some specific detail about this high risk mutual fund that I'm unaware of it should go somewhere at the very bottom of my list of potential investment opportunities.

>> No.3758242

>>3758223
I don't understand your logic. First off, it's not high-risk as in buying lottery tickets. It's simply high risk relative to extremely conservative options, like, oh just putting the money in the bank to get the interest.

Why would you expect to make a significant return on a low-risk investment?

>> No.3758336 [DELETED] 

>>3758242
If you conducted in depth risk assessment you would find many high risk mutual funds next to bank accounts in terms of hedged profitability. Look up the basics of choosing a mutual fund before you splash out, maybe I'm wrong, maybe my hyperbole was uncalled for, but you should realize soon that I was right to be skeptical, even if a high risk mutual fund is the best option for you, this particular mutual fund may not be.

>> No.3758340

Bumping because no answer

>> No.3758365

I suggest Asia.

I suspect given two equally risky corporations, a western bank may classify the Asian one as more risky because of familiarity bias. More North American investors will feel the North American fund is safer, so the bank will be able to squeeze riskier firms into that lot.

>> No.3758369

>>3758242
Look up the basics of choosing a mutual fund, maybe I'm wrong, maybe my hyperbole was uncalled for, but you should realize soon that I was right to be skeptical, even if a high risk mutual fund is the best option for you this particular one may not be.

>> No.3758426

>>3758336
Ah, I see. I partly agree: I took a look at some funds my other bank tried to sell me, most performed like crap and lost money, and the few that did make money only surged for like a year or so, and lost money in other times.

I currently have no data on the funds I mentioned in OP. I have to wait until Monday to go talk to a rep at the bank, obviously if they look shit I won't bother. Still though, in theory they just take my money, and go invest it in a bunch of Chinese energy company stocks or whatever and so on. I know they have the resources to pick a far better portfolio than I could, and I assume (though not so sure) that they have some incentive to do a good job with my fund.

Can you elaborate on the the kind revelation from risk assessment one would find? Also, which basics do you mean?

>> No.3758481

>>3758365
Asia is 32% China, 20% Thailand, 20% India, and so on. 40% energy, 16% banking, 13% metal.

There's a BRIC fund which is 35%, 30% metals and 20% banking. I wonder why they think BRIC energy sectors are slower than the asian ones.

>> No.3758508

>>3758481
Derp, meant 35% energy.

>> No.3758572

>>3758481

I'd go with the BRIC, just 'cause you've got the B and R in there, which are major raw materials exporters. Of all the first world nations, those that are primary industry reliant seem to have weathered the recession best by far. Plus, its hard to imagine the price of metal crashing any time soon.

Energy...energy, not so much. It's so heavily regulated (and subsidized in some areas) that a change in government policy can easily make or break a field of energy production.

>> No.3759378

Bump for interest

>> No.3759387
File: 82 KB, 486x409, 1315233622488.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

can i get some more info about the investment OP?

whats your expected return? portfolio beta? coupon payments? volatility? initial principal?

>> No.3759485

>>3759387
No clue, no clue, no clue. I'll admit that up until recently, when I thought of "investment" I imagined finding a broker, and micromanaging each and every stock buy/sell he does.

A while ago I realized my banks do actually offer nifty investment services. One that I sort of researched (the data on their own website was discouraging enough) focused on domestic assets, they had funds focusing on stocks or bonds or other things. Like I said, the returns were shit and they made me use a silly flash instead of just giving me the raw data, so I just nope'd. Wasn't much surprised, because my country's economy is dildos in the first place.

This one, I saw a brochure for by coincidence, so I got curious, since they actually invest in real economies. I don't know much about evaluating how good a fund is, though. One anon above claims mutual funds are awful, but apparently left before suggesting superior alternatives.

>> No.3760093

Also, what can /sci/ suggest for learning about investment? Not so much macro economy but more practical techniques which can be used to maximize gains, and how things are "normally done" in the sector.

Is it feasible for a natural sciences major to land a finance job without any formal finance training?

>> No.3760860

bump