[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 167 KB, 600x595, cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3720260 [Reply] [Original]

Hey guys.

I'm currently an English/History major. I'm thinking of changing to a Marine Biology/Oceanography major.

Is this a good idea?

>> No.3720264

>no jobs to >>no jobs.
Doesn't matter.

>> No.3720269

do you like the ocean?
then yeah go for it
don't just do what /sci/ says and do something you hate just to "get a good job", that's a quick path to depression

>> No.3720270

Go ahead.

You're just gonna end up as, A) Teacher, or B) Unemployed, either way.

>> No.3720289

>>3720269
I agree. I would like to have a job that has something to do with the ocean if I were to swap majors though, why are there "no jobs"?

>> No.3720321

>>3720260

You're headed to grad school with your current majors and you'd be headed to grad school with the potential major.

The latter might pay slightly (emphasis here) more, but neither seems like its in huge demand within academia so you're not going to bank. Regardless, study what you like (if you really really like it). It will be more rewarding. Just know that academia is tough and there's a lot of people fighting for those jobs.

>> No.3720343

>>3720321
Thanks. I'm not really in it to make bank. I've never had a lot of money and I don't come from a rich family so I live pretty comfortably on an average amount of money. I was hoping if I changed majors I would be able to do a lot of interesting things with the sea and the things in it.

>> No.3720346

LOOK AT THE HUMILITY IN OP PIC. HE KNOWS HE'S SHIT DIE IN A FIRE. LET YOUR PENIS SHRIVEL AS IT IS MADE OUT OF C6H14 INI EXTREME HEAT DUE TO PRESSURE. CONVERT TO ISLAM SINCE IT ADHERES TO SIENCE THE MOST, OVER SCIENTOLOGY. ASPIRE TO INCREASE THE CARDINALITY OF SEX VARIATION IN BITCHES. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS RELATIVITY IT IS A HOAX ORCHESTRATED BY NORTH KOREA. NORTH KOREA WILL USE RELATIVITY TO DESTROY YOU USING SUPER FAST MISSLES FROM THE TROPOSPHERE BECAUSE YOU WERE TOO DUMB TO MAKE THE RIGHT CALCULATIONS TO DEFEND AGAINST IT. IT DOESN'T MATTER THOUGH BECAUSE YOU WERE HAVING SEX AT THE TIME OF HOLOCAUST. I HOPE YOU BELIEVE IN THE SAND MAN BECAUSE IT IS YOUR ONLY HOPE FOR SANITY IN A WORLD WITHOUT ENOUGH RAPE. THE JEWS WERE ALWAYS RIGHT. FIRE IS THE ABSENCE OF STRAIGHT FACED ORGASMS. GLASSES MAKE YOU SMARTER BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EXTRA LEVELS OF PERCEPTION. READ A BOOK ON SOMETHING INSTEAD OF SOMETHING OF VALUE. LOOK AT THE WORD TEXTUAL AND TELL ME YOU DIDN'T GET A boner. ENGLISH/HISTORY => BIOLOGY/OCEANOGRAPHY == OBSCURE COSTANZA EXPRESSION NEVER SEEN BEFORE. GET A RANDOM FACE STUD IT WILL DO YOU ALOT OF GOOD GIVEN HOW SHITTY YOU ARE.
2^2
YOU DON'T THINK ABOUT 00 11 FUCK YOU.
I HAD TO MOVE MY FINGERS FOR THIS SHIT FUCK YOU.

>> No.3720353
File: 36 KB, 656x411, costanzabiology5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>biology
>hard science

In all seriousness, you're not going to get job with biology/oceanography that you wouldn't have with an english major. That is, teaching high school.

>> No.3720363

>>3720343

You'll probably be fine. Make sure you get undergrad research experience, do well in your coursework, etc. and things should turn out ok.

>> No.3720382

>>3720353
I still don't get why there aren't any jobs for it. The way you guys talk it seems like there are no jobs at all anywhere.

>>3720346
At least try and make it funny. I can't believe I read all of that.

>> No.3720386

>>3720363
Greenpeace is hiring.

You can do some science and you get to ram Japanese whaling ships.

Do it!

>> No.3720388
File: 23 KB, 400x400, 876238746728.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3720346

>> No.3721321

OP, a few questions for you:
1. do you want to hug/train/save whales/dolphins?
2. do you hate academia?
3. do you not want a post-graduate degree?

if you answered YES to any of those, then i doubt you'll get any job other than maybe a teacher. doing ANYthing in oceanography requires some kind of advanced degree these days....a BS just won't cut it anywhere.

if you're willing to get a PhD and enjoy complex research, go for it....although bio jobs are the hardest to get in oceanography, especially in academia.

and if you do want to be one of those fucking dolphin huggers, get out now. there are so few jobs and so many fighting for them. not to mention the inferior training and light course load compared to a real bio oceanographic curriculum. (my cousin is one of these dolphin people and i want to slap her for not taking essential things like biochem, organic chem, physics, etc)