[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.39 MB, 1599x1059, 1306783875189.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3697042 [Reply] [Original]

Premise: my understanding of physics is rather poor.

My question is: is quantum mechanic stochastic or does it only appear to be so?

I cannot conceive a completely deterministic universe because I can't imagine how such thing would get started (I don't know if the concept makes sense to you.).

>> No.3697057
File: 53 KB, 625x434, 2reib9i.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3697042
"The foundation of modern science could be summed up like this: give us a free miracle, we'll explain it from there."

Not sure if related.

>> No.3697077

>>3697057
You right now:
Looking at this amazing world around me, how can it possibly not be some sort of miracle/creation/etc! It's so obvious! How else could these perfect conditions exist?
You in a slightly different universe that supports life:
Same as above.
You in a universe that doesn't support life:

>> No.3697084

There's such thing as chaotic determinism.

>> No.3697094

Are circles round, or do they only appear to be so?

>/sci/ - Philosophy 101

>> No.3697111

>>3697094
round is a human def'd term, as is circle.
circles are def'd to be round.
Therefore circles are round.
>Philosophy- a place for retards to waste time
Disclaimer: I hate philosophy

>> No.3697150

>>3697084
???

>> No.3697176

>>3697150
Quantum mechanics does make out the subatomic world to be random and stochastic but that doesn't mean "chaos" itself is deterministic.

I don't know what I'm talking about really lol

>> No.3697200

The world as it appears today seems to be such that we cannot predict exactly what/when/where a particular even will occur from preceding observation, but we can get an average over time and have varying degrees of certainty on what is more likely to occur.

So yes the world is stochastic as far as we can tell at the present time. If the world was such that you could say exactly where everything is at any point in time (the premise of absolute predictability), the double-slit experiment would be paradoxical.

>> No.3697207
File: 126 KB, 1024x768, cougar-cubs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3697176
>>I don't know what I'm talking about really lol

So it seems.
Welcome to /sci/, you'll feel right at home.

>> No.3697223
File: 65 KB, 494x439, 1219893376333_f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>I cannot conceive a completely deterministic universe because I can't imagine how such thing would get started

Care to elaborate?

>> No.3697243

For entropy to continually increase, the amount of information in the universe would have to increase, as entropy is the amount of information needed to describe a state. Such information could be created deterministically by copying existing values and then altering them, though a degree of randomness in new information would not prevent the universe form functioning.

>> No.3697297

An electron shakes up and down, emitting the energy of a single photon but in the form of an EM wave which travels radially in a plane away from the particle. It's impossible to say where the photon is (it hasn't been detected yet) and in fact can be with equal probability anywhere on the circumference of the outgoing wave. But when EM waves interact with matter they mediate with exactly one whole photon. It turns out the square of the amplitude of the wave in time gives a probability distribution, which is equal at equal radii at specific times.

So who was photon, and where was wave.

>> No.3698414

>>3697297
is this actually true?