[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 25 KB, 300x300, ASVAB for dummies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3679949 [Reply] [Original]

Good evening /sci/

I suck at math... horribly. Im basically at a high 7th grade level. I can add,subtract, multiply, divide, and can do most fractions in my head (though I get shaky on some large fractions without a lot of paper work)

I need to get myself to roughly a Senior high school level fairly quickly. Time per day isnt really important (I can easily devote 3+ hours a night to math) however I do not have money or time for traditional classes or tutors.

Someone suggested me the KahnAcademy.org and it is going fairly well. I am just wondering if you guys have any other suggestions on great sites that can take me from "baby" math to a near college level? Some of the videos on Kahn leave a lot to be desired.

For example, prime numbers... I now know what a prime number is, and can do most basic ones in my head but his video ends there. There is no "quick" way shown how to figure out of 10345 is prime or not without literally checking 1x10345 and everything in between. Yes his videos work, but they also dont show you any "quick" ways or any little "secrets"

>> No.3679965

10345 is obviously not prime since it's atleast divisible by 5.

>> No.3679974

>>3679965

Yes thank you... bad example. I just pressed random numbers on the num pad :/

how about 1289753?

>> No.3679990
File: 74 KB, 398x419, 1315033796195.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>not scoring at leats top 5% in standardized tests of science and mathematical ability

>visiting /sci/

Seriously, do you have a learning disorder or something? Go into philosophy or get proficient in painting..

>> No.3679994

>>3679974

Obviously divisible by 17.

Did you learn anything from the video or not?

>> No.3680003

http://bib.tiera.ru/b/46819 if you can find out how to use the postscript file.

Brainetics is one of those things.

>> No.3680025

>>3679949
Awful example OP, our computers rely on primality being hard to check. There's no "magic" formula to know if it's a prime number or not. No one will ask you if x is prime out of the blue and expect you to answer anyway.

>> No.3680071

>>3680025

See, this is the kind of answer I was looking for. All I wanted to hear was "it IS hard and NO there isnt an easy way" and I would continue to just check random division and multiplication figures

>>3679990

No I dont... I just happened to drop out of high school at 16, got my GED and havent used "real" math in 15 years. Its now important for me to make it to an academic level of math to further my life (as in, I dont want to drive a forklift forever) Pic is related

>>3680003

Ill check that out

>> No.3680075

>>3680025

What this anon said. In fact if someone were to figure out a quick surefire way to reduce a composite number into its primes they would probably win some sort of prize.

>> No.3680092

>>3680075

They would also be able to crack the encryption of a giant chunk of all the worlds computer systems... Prime numbers are basically the building blocks of encryption/decryption

>> No.3680108

>>3680071
There's a neat little trick that can help you memorise a few prime numbers, by the way:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieve_of_Eratosthenes

>>3680075
Hell, there are prizes just for discovering new, bigger prime numbers.

>> No.3680140

Thank you for the help so far. We are getting a bit off topic though...

Anyone else have a great site, pay or free, which pretty much "teach" you math from 8th grade to 12th grade?

>> No.3680183

>>3680140
Bump for a worthy question.

>> No.3680192

First thing that you need to understand: there are no "secrets" or easy way outs in mathematics. This also applies to live in general.

You seem to understand basic arithmetic, you should start doing pre-algebra and move on to regular algebra, learning equations and understanding how they graph.

After this you should begin studying basic geometry. Understand how to calculate things such as area, perimeter, circumference etc. as well as being introduced to geometric theorems, line segments, etc.

After that you must move on to logarithmics and exponentials and their functions. You must begin studying imaginary numbers and their purposes, as well as solving and understanding more complicated equations and graphs.

After that, you must study trigonometry and more advanced algebra. Learn the meaning and application of functions such as the sine, cosine, and tangent of an angle, as well as radians, the unit circle, and other things.

After that (and possibly even sooner), you can begin to branch out with your studies. You can study more abstract mathematics, such as Calculus, and move on to multivariable calculus and differential equations. You can also study more advanced concrete mathematics, such as mechanics and analytical geometry of two or three dimensions. An understanding of calculus is recommended with this.

Once you understand calculus and advanced geometry, you can begin to apply what you learned. This is branched into many different fields, ranging from physics to statistics.

Good luck, OP. I know I left out some fields of mathematics.

>> No.3680195

>>3680025
That's not quite true. Contemporary cryptography systems rely on prime decomposition to be hard, not prime checking. In fact, there ARE methods to efficiently check a number for primality, which are themselves used for cryptographic purposes.

>> No.3680200

>>3680140
khan academy is pretty good all things considered, sure it won't make you a mathematical genius but it can at least help your understanding on certain things.

>> No.3680219

>>3680195
Then please go ahead and help OP.

>> No.3680226

Holy shit bro I took the asvab in highschool and I got in the top 2% lawls If I end up getting a low gpa with my engineering degree im sure the military will take me.

>> No.3680236

>>3680219
Said methods are really not suitable for performing by hand. My claim was purely some theoretical background, not a practical hint for OP.

>> No.3680247

>>3680236
Ah, alright then.

>> No.3680250

Dude you dont have to know much to get through highschool. I think Khan academy should be fine for you. Just understand quadratic functions and how to graph shit and set shit up with variables for word problems. You can learn this shit in a month no problem with diligent studying.

>> No.3680264

>>3680226

Everyone gets the "top 2%" in fact if you ever hear someone say they got less than a 95 on the ASVAB, well, they are probably the only honest person you ever talked to about it.

Kind of like on /k/ how many combat vets there are. Like the old saying "if they give details, they werent there. If they say they were there and leave it at that, they arent full of shit"

I would love to know what your line scores were... specifically for CO, CL, EL, and GM

Your GT score simply means you showed up for four years of high school