[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 6 KB, 247x200, matrix.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3675000 [Reply] [Original]

I was grading a short quiz today in my office for Linear Algebra and I cannot count on my hands how many students in my class don't understand that row reduction is just a representation of algebraic operations. They act like it is fucking magic. Did any of you have trouble understanding the concept, if you did how did you overcome it?

>> No.3675014

Do it in the matrix and algebraicaly, side by side a few times, thats how it clicked for me.

>> No.3675025

>>3675014
oh and show them that when you multiply the number matrix by the variable matrix is turns into the original polynomial.

>> No.3675031

how does anyone not get that, that shit if from algebra 2 in 10th grade or whatever.

>> No.3675068

Because public high school doesn't teach kids how to think anymore.

You should teach your students how to think critically; give them a lot of proof questions and make them work. If they don't get this shit down they'll be out of a job their entire lives.

No chance of competing in this future job market unless you're highly competent in all aspects of basic undergrad math.

>> No.3675078
File: 23 KB, 247x248, costanza.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>people on /sci/
>not understanding concepts

Like anyone here would admit to this... Instead of focusing on your class retards just pump up your successful students. You might end up with a research partner that way.

>> No.3675093

when i took linear algebra, to me, 80% of the stuff we learn was just arbitrary steps done to matrixes. I didnt understand shit but i did the stuff i was told step by step and ended up with the right answer but had almost no understanding of why it worked.