[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 42 KB, 709x685, 9876516846.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3674623 [Reply] [Original]

How do you view sanity /sci/? Do you view it as something that is broken at an instant or something that is chipped and scratched at for years?

Use metaphors. I view it as something like a windshield. It's durable but over time you still get small scratches on it. Eventually you'll find a crack and and a fucking rock smashes through your fucking windshield. No way you can drive with that fucking hole! Might have been a bad metaphor but oh well.

>> No.3674631

Sanity is a continuum, so are mental disorders.

The lines between bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, ptsd, etc are fuzzier than psychiatrists would have you believe.

>> No.3674635

Sanity is like a girlfriend.
4chan users will never have it.

>> No.3675760

Sanity is the ability to keep your mental state in check. Everybody's crazy.

As defined by a bum who was told to take meds and I refused and manned up.

>> No.3675767
File: 123 KB, 1025x767, chaos.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Sanity is for the weak.

>> No.3675784

Sanity is merely a social construct

>> No.3675788

>>3674623
It varies. Some people survive torture and extreme situations and live healthy lives afterwards. Others have no great trauma to speak of but end up in a mental hospital. Visiting the same catastrophic on multiple victims will have different effects, the same way a slight annoyance over years would.

>> No.3675793
File: 48 KB, 563x233, ohyesitstrue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

There are a couple of views on insanity that have seemed mostly true to me.

The most common would be.. Sanity: Doing things that work and repeating the successful results. Insanity: Do what doesn't work, expecting it to somehow change if you do it enough.

Another is.. Sanity: Thinking in a linear fashion. Insanity: Thinking in arbitrary fashion.

Another... Sanity: Thinking with empathy and heart. Insanity:Thinking without heart or empathy.

Take your pic. I think the second is the most relevant to the real world tho. Both ways of thinking have their uses and we all do both.

>> No.3675833
File: 9 KB, 320x240, 002555_10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

>> No.3675890

>>3675833
Oh, hey there anon, you've found my flavor of insanity!

Congratulations!