[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 762 KB, 3850x1925, 1314484664559.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3639889 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/, tonight I would like to discuss the observable universe and perhaps gain some insight into something I know not much about.

To my understanding, the observable universe is the part of the universe that we can detect (i.e. observe), and the radius of our observational bubble is ~13.75 billion light years across. Because of this, we can estimate the age of the universe to be ~13.75 billion years.

Now, let's assume an alien observer located in a galaxy that we observe to be at the edge of our observable universe. Obviously, the alien galaxy according to the alien observer would be vastly different than from what we can detect, since what information we gather is ~13.75 billion years old. Let's also assume that as the universe expanded (from our point of view) all the galaxies around the alien's galaxy would maintain their relative positions (i.e., the alien galaxy would still be the furthest).

Would this alien observer, while observing its observable universe, see galaxies at all directions around its point of reference? If so, would our galaxy, Milky Way, be at the "edge" of this sphere? Now let's say there's a galaxy on the opposite side of the Milky Way in the alien's observable universe. Where would this galaxy be in our frame of reference?

>> No.3639913

Really wish I knew this stuff so I could answer, but even then it doesn't really seem like a definite answer could be made. Would probably just be more speculation.