[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 126 KB, 986x591, Raisins_Face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3607287 [Reply] [Original]

How is this as a social experiment to learn more about human paranoia?

The subject is trapped in a room. The door is infront of him, locked. There is a button to the right of it and on the left is a digital clock counting down from 5 minutes, built into the wall. It bleeps on every second getting louder with every beep but starting off almost silent.

You tell them: "If you press the button, poison gas will be released."

You keep stating the time every minute.

Then you just leave them be.

Would this work? By which I mean the subject would press the button. What would you change?

>> No.3607302

What's my impetus for pressing the button in this scenario? If I don't press it the timer just counts down. If I do the gas is released. Am I supposed to be that worried about the timer?

>> No.3607312

be sure to mention that the button will not work after the timer hits 0:00. so you give him a limit before which he must make the choice.

>> No.3607334

5 minutes of increasing louder beeping? OH GOD NOT THAT.

>> No.3607343

What is the subject fakes a siezure and then when attendats enter the room he rips their sacks off with his bare hands?

Because thats what I'd do.

How the fuck do scientists even do experiments like this without getting the shit kicked out of them on a daily basis?

>> No.3607358

>>3607302

Instead:

The subject is trapped in a room. The door is infront of him, locked. There is a button to the right of it and on the left is a digital clock counting down from 5 minutes, built into the wall. It bleeps on every second getting louder with every beep but starting off almost silent.

You tell them: "You can press the button or let the timer run down, but one of the two will release poison gas. Your choice."

You keep stating the time every minute.

>> No.3607367

>>3607358
What does this have to do with paranoia? The subject can choose to be murdered or commit suicide. Cool.

>> No.3607370

>>3607334

What if it's 6am and a Monday? O.O

>> No.3607379

>>3607367

You tell them: "You can press the button or let the timer run down, one will open the door, one will release poison gas. Your choice."

>> No.3607381

What is the purpose of this experiment?
What the fuck are you testing for?

>> No.3607395

Right now my troll paranoia senses are tingling

>> No.3607404

>>3607381
please answer this

>> No.3607416

>>3607379
OK. So they have a 50/50 chance of surviving. How does this relate to paranoia? Inaction is still action. Most-likely they will be confused as they will have no "method" of determining a better than 1/2 chance of living. Paranoid? No. Try "sad", "angry", "confused".

>> No.3607442
File: 75 KB, 800x600, 1293315998918.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3607287
The subject needs to be handcuffed with access to a bone saw.

>> No.3607576

>>3607416
>So they have a 50/50 chance of surviving
How the fuck did you come to that conclusion.
>You tell them: "If you press the button, poison gas will be released."
OP never determined what the button actually does.

So far we don't know what we are testing for.
The man is in a room of a completely undetermined size.
How the fuck did he get there? Did i ask him if he want to be apart of an experiment? Did he get lost?
The exit is locked.
There is a button to the right of the door. We don't know what the fuck the button does. OP sucks.
There is a digital clock with a 5 minute count down. We have no clue what the clock will do when it reaches 0.
The clock beeps every second and gets louder with every consecutive beep. I suspect that it will continue to beep after the countdown reaches 0, BUT WHO THE FUCK KNOWS?
Suddenly you tell them "If you press the button, poison gas will be released." Wait, are you in the room as well? Did you call his cell phone?
You tell him what time it is every minute. You tell him "The time is 3:35am". A minute later you tell him "The time is 3:36am".
Then you just leave them be. I think you exit out of the locked door, not sure. I am still curious as to why this one guy suddenly became multiple people.

>> No.3607582

>>3607576

--> >>3607379

>> No.3607593

'You keep stating the time every minute.' - wtf this keeps confusing me, what do you mean?

>> No.3607604

>>3607379
In THAT case, the answer is simple. Let the timer run down. If the gas begins to be released when the timer hits 0, mash the button and hope it still works and opens the door.

Alternatively, mash the button shortly before the timer runs out, and if the button releases the gas, hopefully the timer will continue to run down and open the door seconds later.

>> No.3607610

not an experiment, but torture

>> No.3607635

>>3607582
>You tell them: "You can press the button or let the timer run down,
Ok, we tell him that. Does the button actually open the door, or release poisonous gas? Does the timer actually open the door/release poison gas?
>one will open the door, one will release poison gas. Your choice."
So he can choose if the timer will open the door or release the poisonous gas? What if the timer runs out before he decides what the result of the countdown is?

I am telling him these things, does that mean I am in the room too? If he picks the button to release the gas, and he presses it anyways, does that mean I die too?

>> No.3607644

I think the the whole setup is see whether peoples own imaginations about what horrible shit will happen to them when the clock runs out would prompt them to suicide via the button before Cthulhu-esque horrow descends upon them from that region of the brain responsible for making shit up. I think the whole point of telling them that they're almost out of time and the buzzer getting louder and informing the person that the button will release poison gas is to get the subject to start worrying about the what happens when the time runs out. If you don't do that stuff u've just got an annoyed person in a room with a really annoying timer

>> No.3607673

what hypothesis would this be testing...?

>> No.3607671

>>3607644
"When the timer runs out something will happen. If you guess what it is it won't happen and you'll be freed from the room."

There would be two separate groups participate, for one of them the clock keeps beeping as described, for the other one there's no beep.

Check influence of stressful noises on people's guesses.

>> No.3607697

It might work if they were high. I'm always paranoid as fuck on weed.

>> No.3607714

>>3607644
The OP has so far defined the scenario like this. I'll describe it as if I am the victim.
I suddenly appear in a room that doesn't have a size. I don't know if its massive or small.
However there is one locked door, a button, and a digital clock with a count down.
The clock beeps every second. The guy running the experiment is in the room and tells me ""You can press the button or let the timer run down, one will open the door, one will release poison gas. Your choice."
I doubt either thing will happen because I don't think this "scientist" would subject himself to poisonous gas.
He keeps telling me what time it is. I don't know how this would related to the count down. I can't figure out if 9:18am has any correlation to this count down.
I might throw the clock to the other side of the room because the beep is really annoying.
While not paying attention he leaves, possibly through the door.
I suddenly turn into multiple people. My first guess is the poisonous gas actually some sort of drug because I am clearly tripping out.
My second guess I have been teleported to some weird state in which the spacial dimensions of the room are both big AND small at the same time, but that doesn't account for the multiple people. My third guess would be I am able to observe multiple dimensions as described in the multiverse theory.

>> No.3607719

The moral of the story is that after the experiment, OP is going to jail.

>> No.3607727

>>3607644
Not-OP, but I have to say this would work well. Leaving them with a choice of pressing a button and kill themselves or let them wait for the timer to run out will make them believe that whatever happens after the timer runs out is worse than death by poisoning.

How about this, a social experiment.
You take 4 participants and spy on them for a month, collect their dirtiest secrets and give each one of them a ring that they have to wear all the time and tell them that of they will get a ring with their initials and present it somewhere and the first two people to present their rings will not have their secrets exposed. As the game proceeds add more and more information of other participants whereabouts so they can track each other or something along these lines.

>> No.3607758

I think, to answer OP's question "How is this as a social experiment to learn more about human paranoia?", it is a fucking retarded experiment.

>> No.3607822

>>3607727
>You take 4 participants and spy on them for a month, collect their dirtiest secrets and give each one of them a ring that they have to wear all the time and tell them that of they will get a ring with their initials and present it somewhere and the first two people to present their rings will not have their secrets exposed. As the game proceeds add more and more information of other participants whereabouts so they can track each other or something along these lines.

So I spy on 4 people and collect data about them. I give each one a ring with their initials. The first two people to present their rings don't get the data I have collected revealed to everyone. So can't they immediately give the rings back to me and yell "NOT IT!".
>As the game proceeds add more and more information of other participants whereabouts so they can track each other or something along these lines.
Wait, hold on, I thought I was spying on these people. Why are they tracking each other?

>> No.3608572

>>3607822
I forgot to add that they don't have their own rings, they need to find the person with their ring. Eg. Blue has Yellow's ring, Yellow has Black's ring, Black has White's ring and White has Blue's ring.

But it has little to do with paranoia, I usually do things like this in real life, except that they're not participating.

The point, I guess, would be to make them want to get their ring at all cost without losing theirs or something on these lines.
Also I believe 1 winner would work best.

Maybe let's lean on the more insane side and strap collars to their necks, without their permission, that if attempted to contact cops or take it off would result in explosion, plus once one collar would be opened the other 3 would blow up. It would be an interesting experiment, especially if done on far grander scale.

>> No.3608604

This thread is now about movies like Cube and Saw. Recommend me some.

>> No.3608642

>>3608604
To be honest I didn't notice the correlation between these movies and my post.
Anyway, I believe that what really impresses people is not how people die, not any more at least, but the human psychology; they want to see the fear in their eyes, the despair and the pain. The last saw movies failed to show any of that and I find it rather sad, as the first part was quite exciting in my opinion.

Back to the subject, what kind of experiment would be a great way to learn about human paranoia?

>> No.3608673

>>3608572
That is not a social experiment. That is a logically flawed reality TV show.
is your REAL social experiment to see if people enjoy watching it?
Or is the social experiment to determine how long it takes for someone to realize they are being trolled?
Or is the social experiment to determine when someone starts becoming paranoid about being trolled?
Troll or stupid?
They display the same initial symptoms... OK YOU GOT ME

>> No.3608818

I think OP was trying to point out that the clock ticking down could lead to extreme paranoia, simply because you don't know what will happen. The subject might consider pushing the button a better alternative then letting the clock tick to 0.

>> No.3608852

So far we've learned that /sci/ are sadists.

>> No.3609511

I dont know if it counts as part of the holocaust but one of my grandads joined in liberating Herzogenbusch and he told me about how they had executed a few hundred jews. I know dont know if that was regular "kill all the jews" type executions or just regular wartime "you probably shouldnt have fucked around in a prison camp" executions.

Anyways he was a mick from Edmonton and I doubt he'd just make that shit up, he had no reason to, the jews are nothing to us, good or bad. I have never even met one that I know of.

>> No.3609523

>>3607822
Flaw in plan. Some people would kill you on the spot, or actively hunt you until they could.

Fucking with strangers is never a good idea.

>> No.3609604

>>3609523

Dead man switch; if they kill you, all of them die.

>> No.3609621

OP, having read your post, you might like to watch:

Derren Brown's, Trick or Treat, Season 2 Episode 2...
>The subject is shown a kitten in a metal cage and told that it will be electrocuted if she presses a button. The subject would win £500 if she stays in the room for five minutes without killing the kitten. Derren's negative suggestion forces her to press the button at the last second.

also, Ren and Stimpy, Space Madness