[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 16 KB, 270x202, heaven-sign.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3607012 [Reply] [Original]

Born and raised christfag here. When I turned like... 17 I finally realized that the Bible is a bunch of fairy tales, but 17 years is a long time to have something pounded into your head (inb4 penis?). I'm still pretty terrified that hell might exist. I know it's not logical. I need someone to prove to me that there's no such thing as an afterlife.

>> No.3607015

If heaven exists according to what I was taught it's an eternity praising god... sounds like hell to me.

>> No.3607019

enjoy you're low IQ

>> No.3607023

One childish mythology of a somewhat intelligent species of great ape stemming largely from psychosis and embellishment is not a particularly reliable source of metaphysics.

There's no definitive proof either way, but hell is as likely to exist as a wonderful land of gnomes and flowers where rapists frolic with saints; or an endless number of other unfalsifiable possible worlds. Don't sweat it.

>> No.3607021

I'm scared of parasitic worms (not unreasonable) and zombies (totally unreasonable). It's the human condition.

>> No.3607025

we have no idea what happens with you when you die, so there is nothing to be proven. but as far as hell goes, it is just a fairytale up to this day. who knows, there might be a heaven and hell, but i can tell you with certainty that no human being has ever described either of those places, been to them, or talked to god about them. its all fairy tales, and if you ask me, i prefer ancient greek gods, at least they were interesting and none of them were perfect, they were a reflection of human emotions, and that is what made them great. long sentence, i know, im not a good writer.

on another note, whats with all the religion and evolution topics, is it some high school invasion?

>> No.3607027

>>3607019
>using the wrong form of your to tell someone they have a low IQ

>> No.3607030

Not science.

>> No.3607031
File: 30 KB, 400x400, what-the-fuck-am-i-reading.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3607019
>enjoy you're low IQ
>enjoy you are low IQ

>> No.3607032

>>3607027
> get trolled
really, sci, really

>> No.3607041
File: 333 KB, 1920x1200, 1313765833066.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

OP,prepare for eternal suffering....

I don't even think hell is some guy whipping you and laughing in flames..
I think hell is like...pitch black...You will hear millions of other voices and screams in agony.
When you're in hell,you have no spirit and no God(that means no hope,courage etc.)
So it's only your weak soul and emotions...you will remember everything you've done in this life (unlike heaven where you forget everything)...
The first minutes you start realizing you will be there for all eternity...

I know this can scare any human..even atheists can get a little agnostic but you not believing in Hell is not gonna make it nonexistent..

>> No.3607043

i think when you die your bodily functions cease to function and the nonexistent soul continues to not be there

an intelligent mammal has died

>> No.3607047

>>3607032
>2011
>trying to cover up idiocy as trolling
ISHYGDDT

>> No.3607049

>>3607041
I personally believe in an afterlife where I get to slap you with my penis for eternity. Well, it seems like eternity to you - for me, it's just a couple of minutes until I get bored and make some other world to keep myself amused.

>> No.3607057

Second law of thermodynamics.
</thread>

>> No.3607058

>>3607047
> spouts pointless meme without being able to recognize intentional misspellings
your teh man now dawg

>> No.3607060

You're just as likely to find proof that there IS an afterlife as you are to find proof that there ISN'T one.

People can have evidence one way or the other, but not proof. It's up to you to decide.

And who says that you have to believe the Bible to believe in an afterlife?
Hell, who says you have to believe the Bible the way your family/church do?
People seem to be missing the point that the Bible is now the word of Man.
It's more satisfying being a fagnostic than a Christfag or Gaytheist.

I know this isn't really a /sci/ response, but when you look into other religions -- even if it's just the Abrahamic ones -- things sound a lot better than the bullshit Western society has turned the Bible into.

The Muslims believe Hell is where you are punished for your sins, and once you've received the appropriate punishment, congrats! Heaven!
The Jooz believe "Satan" is just a force of God to challenge us, and not some bullshit fairy-tail fallen angel . As if an unfathomable being like God could be bound by what we interpret as "morals"

>> No.3607061
File: 548 KB, 94x118, 1313800255066.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3607049

It's funny how you atheists never seem to be capable of an intelligent conversation... without saying something like "hahaha christfags religion is bullshit yaday yaday"

>> No.3607070

>>3607061
You literally cannot prove I'm more likely to go to hell than idickayofaceland.

>> No.3607084

Some Christians believe that Jesus died for all sins, so even if you don't accept him as your savior you can still enter Heaven. Personally, I'd rather spend forever in Hell than with that primitive-minded barbarian.

>> No.3607085
File: 7 KB, 150x150, Can_t Tell if Trolling.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3607041
First off: fag
Also, this made me realize that hell is a very mythical place, because only foolish people believe in it.

>> No.3607086

>>3607061
> intelligent conversation

Whenever >>3607041
Is saying things like:
>I don't even think hell is...
>I think hell is like...
Mere speculations without evidence then following that up with blind assertions.

That is not an intelligent conversation.

>> No.3607099
File: 56 KB, 279x291, 1311416256412.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3607041
why would you want to forget everything about life, isnt that the best part about life? living?

>> No.3607100

Threads like this belong on /b/

>> No.3607102

>>3607070

I can't tell who goes to hell or not. I'm not God.
For a very mundane example,Adolf Hitler is seen,by society as an evil man.
I have no idea whether he is in Hell or in Heaven.
I have no right to judge.I am not God.I don't know the person (and neither do the people who are the closest to him)
Because spirituality is something very individualistic

>> No.3607109

>>3607085

Again,atheists prove to be simple minded morons

>> No.3607118

>>3607102
If God knows who is morally righteous, what's the point of our life on Earth?

>> No.3607120

>>When you're in hell,you have no spirit and no God(that means no hope,courage etc.)

So hell is being human?

nihilist christians. Go figure.

>> No.3607123

>>3607086

You're twisting my words.I know for sure that Hell exists but if you believe in God you know that there are limits to what we understand.
Sure the bible tells you the important things but you will never know what it's like...You will never know the afterlife in here...

Humans are in a state of infinite ignorance

>> No.3607124

Hell=The grave, death, etc.

Maybe if you actually studied the Bible instead of listening to televangelists, you'd know.

>> No.3607125

>>3607041
nope

>> No.3607136

>>3607099

A person who believes in heaven surely won't think she remembers her life on Earth.

How the hell do you expect heaven to be a place of peace and love if you remember this life?
Earth and all humanity is corrupt...
You want to go to heaven thinking your wife,sisters,brothers,fathers etc might have went to hell?

>> No.3607137

>>3607123
I'm intrigued. You somehow have a higher knowledge of something unknowable? You know for a fact that there's an afterlife? Perhaps you're just another arrogant Christian you gets his morality from a book endorsing rape, slavery, torture and discrimination?

>> No.3607145

>>3607102
Well, the bible is very specific on how to get to heaven. Jesus is the path and the light and you must accept him to enter the kingdom of heaven.

If you believe the bible to be true then you must believe this heaven-entering criterion. So you actually can say who is getting into heaven and who isn't.

You just don;t want to seem like a cunt and say people are going to hell to their faces but really you believe fine rightly they are going there.

>> No.3607143

>>3607032
>getting reverse-trolled
I seriously hope you guys don't do this

>> No.3607144

>>3607123

>>infinitely ignorant

I dont care what you do or do not believe, but get to know some maths before throwing infinities around like that.

there is a maximum level of ignorance and it is to know nothing. Infinities do not have maximum values.

>> No.3607150

>>3607120

How sad... that you atheistfags keep criticizing christianity and yet you are every uneducated on christianity

When you're in Hell,all you have left is your soul...Right now you have your soul (emotions,feelings) your flesh and your spirit (the things that gives the life to your body (rational thoughts,intellect,faith,dreams,hope etc)

>> No.3607154

Doesn't the Christian God supposedly predetermine what happens on earth? And if so, doesn't he cause people to sin and do the things that make them "deserve" hell? Sounds like an asshole.

>> No.3607155

>>3607145

>>the bible is very specific on how to get to heaven

Of course it is. The problem is that it is specific on the subject many times.

And each time, the criteria changes. Hence the many, MANY sects.

>> No.3607158

>>3607150
>All of those things
>Not proven to be apart of the brain
ha

>> No.3607164

>>3607145

Most idiotic comment I've read so far.

You are the reason atheists hate Christians so much

>> No.3607171

>>3607123
I'm not twisting your words. I quoted you exactly. You seem to think I'm wrong because I don't agree with you. There is no evidence for an afterlife so what you said IS just mere speculation and blind assertions.

My whole point relies heavily on there being no evidence of an afterlife. If you can provide some I will concede to you. This shouldn't be too hard for you as:
>.I know for sure that Hell exists
To know with any degree of certainty (never mind 100%) you MUST have SOME evidence. Surely?

>> No.3607173

Watch this video OP you'll feel better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhaxuqJatTs

>> No.3607175

>>3607145
How to get to Heaven, straight from the main character of the Bible:

16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’[c] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’[d]”

20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Matthew 19:16-21

Nothing more.

Follow the laid-out commandments to get to Heaven, and if you want to be PERFECT, sell all you have and follow Jesus' teachings.

>> No.3607183

>>3607164
Uh. I am an atheist. My point was to disprove the other poster's claim of not being able to comment on Hitler because of some spiritual bullshit.

>> No.3607184

Dear OP,

What you're going through is emotion clouding your reason. Find things to distract yourself with and the emotion will eventually die away. Time is the only cure. It's like getting scared by a good horror film or book. You spend a long time panicking about monsters in your closet despite the fact that you know they're not there, then after a few nights the emotions die away and you're rational again.

>> No.3607192

You idiots don't realize that Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit are within us all, sexually. Only by masturbating over a dead goat sacrificed for the purpose can you know the ecstasy of Jesus's sweet touch, and only via he can you know the glory of heaven's kingdom. Yea, how easy life is made for man through faith. Faith Is All You Need(TM)

>> No.3607194

>>3607150

Consciousness arises mainly from the cortex. Emotions arise through absorption of neurotransmitters. Memory is done by the Temporal lobe.

There is no 'spirit' or 'soul'. They literally do not exist. See, if you look at the anatomy of the human body (which is made up of matter, like all animals), the only organ that does thinking, emotion, etc is the brain.

You can look around for something else that matches the functions of your pre-scientific religious vessels but they aren't there.

So what are you going to do? Start believing in invisible organs because the alternative is challenging a worldview and incurring the wrath of god?

You poor, intellectually ineffectual sod.

>> No.3607201

>>3607192

>ecstasy of Jesus's sweet touch

with the *ahem* tendencies of catholic clergy, this phrase takes on a whole new meaning even creepier than the wanking metaphor.

>> No.3607203

>>3607183

Dear God,you are dumber than I thought

I suggest you re-read my post which was the one you first replied to

>> No.3607209

>>3607203

Dear God,you are dumber than I thought

When I was an agnostic, I used to think this to myself on a regular basis.

>> No.3607222
File: 52 KB, 425x622, 4711.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3607192
A thousand internets for you

>> No.3607249

>>3607019
>enjoy you're low IQ
>you're low IQ
>you're

>> No.3607254

>>3607194
I am not believing in any invisible organs and I don't discredit anything you've said in the first 2 or 3 paragraphs...
What you said about our brain is true.
The thing is there is more than that.And there are things behind it that will never fit in the human capacity.
Atheists will keep struggling to find the mystery of life until the end of all humanity.
Cont.

>> No.3607257

Cont.
I'm not a poor sob.I am just 17 and I'm currently studying art,mythology and history.Medical science is not for me but I will almost never discredit anything said about medical science or general science.
In fact,I believe in a creation/evolution hybrid.
To me GOD is not Christian God,Muslim God,Catholic God etc...
To me it's just GOD.
And the existence of GOD is something no one will ever be able to discredit in this lifetime

>> No.3607324

>>3607254
>The thing is there is more than that.And there are things behind it that will never fit in the human capacity.

What makes you think there is more than that? And how can you justify there being more to it than either 1) just plain wanting there to be more or 2) lack of scientific knowledge and using god to fill in what you personally don't understand about humans?

Also, how have you concluded that it won't fit the limits of human capacity?

>> No.3607389

If heaven exists and is made of all things good, eternal happiness, no suffering, how could anyone be happy unless they know what it's like to not be happy?

Same for hell, how can one suffer in eternal agony if there's no opposing reference point on which to contrast and establish the suffering?

This life is based on a double-sided scale. Good vs. Bad. Positive vs. Negative. Pick your own example.

The afterlife might as well be "one", where everything just is, and there's no opposite-pairs.

>> No.3607401

>>3607324

Well,certainly you agree that there are things that we can grasp but will never fully understand...

>> No.3607419

>>3607389

Because happiness is a mere emotion on our little insignificant lives.
When you're in heaven,you're not a human anymore.You become a spiritual deity. It's not mere joy.You simply become closer to God.
How is that good? That's something that won't fit in our capacities.Our brain has limits.

As for Hell,you do remember your past life so there is a reference point.Because the same thing you have in hell,you have right here,right now which is your soul (your heart)

>> No.3607432

OP, ask yourself this. Is there an afterlife for microscopic life forms? At what stage in evolution was there suddenly an afterlife?

>> No.3607565

Heaven and Hell are allegories of what kind of life you'll have dependant on your actions. This is why we have stuff like the 10 commandments. Live as a humble, honest, kind person and you'll feel good. Live as a giant douchefag, you'll have turmoil and pain inside.

Everything Jesus said was a metaphore. IT's all about how to deny yourself cravings and impulses, controlling yourself and following your souls desires rather than the body's, thus achieveing freedom and "heaven".

>> No.3607687

>>3607565

What you said had truth in it but you're misguided.
Your soul is your feelings and emotions and that's what tricks you.
The emotions are our weakest spot.
You must follow the desire of your faith not your soul.

When a fat person is on a diet, something inside of her tells her that the sacrifice of a diet is hard but that's what's good for her.

While her soul(emotions) says hmm..that burger will feel good and she falls in the temptation of desire when she sees a mcdonalds ad

>> No.3607816

>>3607687

It's the body or the mind that craves physical stimuli, not the soul. E.g. the lust for sweet and fat food is a bodily function, telling you to fulfill it by eating said foods.

The soul is what tells you to be kind to old women without expecting anything in return. That kind of stuff. Might be that we're splitting hairs here though :)

>> No.3607855

>>3607012
>I need someone to prove to me that there's no such thing as an afterlife.

Ok.
In order to feel pain, your soul needs to have nerves, that means hellfire is a physical phenomenon and thus needs oxygen, and if there is oxygen then it has to come from somewhere, that means there must be an exit.

If your soul (which is just your complex consciousness that it almost seems magical since we only see the results of thoughts in our heads not the process, making it feel like separate entity)
does not need a physical body to feel pain then why do we have bodies?

That's not very evolutionary, and evolution is pretty solid.

Also, lol...hell...

>> No.3607858

A righteous god wouldn't torture people for eternity. That would be wrong.

A nasty god who wanted to threaten you would personally tell you rather than use an untrustworthy messenger.

A crazy god might do all sorts of things to you in the afterlife, but there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

The simplest hypothesis is that there's no god or afterlife at all, but I don't pretend I can prove it any more than I can prove I'm not a brain in a vat.

>> No.3607866

>>3607855
Also, where does the soul come in?
Death?
But your body is dying all the time, your cells.
Are they already in soul form, waiting for you?
Or does the soul only 'go out' when your *gasp* brain...dies?

>> No.3607877

Anything is plausible... that's if you believe in it

>> No.3607881

>>3607866
which brings us to the shape of the soul.
you really think it's humanoid? (Not that a soul exists)
Then what are the criteria soul appearance is based on?

In b4 arbitrary human stuff like "youth", if a soul is eternal then it has no youth.

also check my dubloons

>> No.3607901

>>3607881
if its not humanoid, then a fiery pot with bubbling globes that wobble in agony looks pretty stupid, don't you agree?

Ahh...religion...so funny.
They focus on the afterlife, yet that's where it gets the most contradictory and stupid, but sadly...since the earthly virtues can be taught and practiced without worship of spokespeople of the faith whom you give money, the afterlife really is the only hook they have.Which is awesome since it can be twisted in many ways the fearful one finds plausible.

>> No.3607938
File: 403 KB, 403x511, Neuman.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3607901
and if you answer "I don't know" to any of that...
Then why are yo still worshiping a phantasm that works in ways you can't even understand?

That's like loving, advocating and worshiping calculus because the symbols look pretty.
Only in that case you'd be giving ,money to people who print something worthwhile, math books.
ET FUCKING CETERA.
In b4 "lol atheist just denies GODS REALITY cuz he's in denial and in fact is scared and on his deathbed WILL CONVERT AND FEAR"

>my face when