[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 39 KB, 328x500, The_God_Delusion_UK.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3605180 [Reply] [Original]

I'm looking for some serious reading material that will enable me to form a solid argument for the case of atheism.

I live in an excessively christian area where people are hostile towards those who don't actively participate in the church. Therefore, I want to educate myself about theology and it's counterarguments so that I can at least hold my ground when confronted by someone.

Books such as The God Delusion are too harsh to serve me well, everyone knows a proper argument must merit both sides in order to be effective.

>> No.3605193

not heavy-hitting but decent

http://www.amazon.com/Irreligion-Mathematician-Explains-Arguments-Just/dp/B003JTHSLI/

>> No.3605201

>>3605180
PEOPLE BELIEVE WHAT THEY WANT TO BELIEVE

END OF STORY

>> No.3605203

Create your own argument please.

>> No.3605209

The Atheist Experience (podcast)
Skeptics' Annotated Bible (website)
Demon-Haunted World, by Carl Sagan (book)

Those are some resources just off the top of my head.

>> No.3605216

the solid case is that it's a fairytale, don't drop down to their level by treating it as if it's a serious proposition. in fact, don't get involved at all.

>> No.3605227
File: 54 KB, 600x500, Exclamation_Mark.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>I'm looking for a book that will enable me to form arguments for atheism.
If you cannot already form those arguments, why are you an atheist to begin with?
Because like everyone else, you first form opinions and then search for the facts to justify them. Say I present to you a book arguing aggainst creationism and another against atheism, will you logicaly conclude that one of them is right and the other wrong, for reasons you can exactly pinpoint? nope. You will just choose the one justifing your already formed opinion.
I'm an atheist too. But you are an idiot. That's why theological debates are pointless. That's why everyone believes nonsense like "the diffrence between races can be solely explained by culture".
Fuck you!

>> No.3605246

>>3605227
hahaha

>Finally, someone realizes there is more to rationality than just parroting someone else's ideology.

Stupidity: a universal human quality

>> No.3605248

watch debates with Christopher Hitchens on youtube

>> No.3605284

>>3605227
in his defense, he never said he was an atheist

>> No.3605345

>>3605284
Correct. But then again, It was implied. Let's not fool ourselves that every aspect of our cognition incorporates the scientific method. That only the directly observable is acceptable. I would think that most people who spent much time here on /sci/ tend to think that this is the only way to approach a situation to maximize efficency. (without implementing it nearly as much as they preach it, though)
Don't mistake this as an insult though. I'm merely stating what I think is the most probable.

>> No.3605388
File: 34 KB, 325x244, puppetman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3605227
>>3605345
an actual intellectual on /sci/. what is this i don't even...

>> No.3605409

>>3605388
>racist
>intellectual
Pick one!!

>> No.3606265
File: 31 KB, 320x475, Demon-Haunted_World.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]