[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 57 KB, 216x216, Freedom+Isn't+Free.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.3600677 [Reply] [Original]

is this true? isnt freedom inherently free

>> No.3600716
File: 584 KB, 740x740, puke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Are children inherently free, no they have parents that hopefully try to protect and care for them a basic example is not letting them play with knives or the stove.

Good scociaty is designed to protect itself ie you killed / raped someone so we will remove the thereat you pose by removing you. It is human nature to think if something is good more is better so we end up with laws for victomless crimes and shit like that

>> No.3600756

freedom as a concept is not realistic, and is just like utopia is to brave new world.

it's all relative.

>> No.3601530

Freedom is not politico-economically free.

The simplest possible explanation I can offer is, people have (ever-changing) needs, wants, preferences, and strategies for achieving the aforementioned, all of which will be in conflict with those of other people's much of the time (assumed minor premise 1: people are physically separate, non-omnipotent, limited beings whose environment does not "automatically" satisfy their needs and wants (there is no genie granting wishes; assumed minor premise 2: humans are social animals whom for all practical purposes live in groups and thus cannot practically avoid interpersonal conflict). I leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out the details of how such conflict comes to limit politico-economic freedom.

>> No.3601535

freedom from what?

>> No.3601536

Freedom is, for the most part, overrated.

>> No.3601544

>ITT

>entitled bitches who have only known freedom and have somehow fucked up

>> No.3601551

DURRRR. I can spew idiotic platitudes all day long.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

>> No.3601564

"freedom" is a subjective term.

>> No.3601585

No, it is impossible to be free unless you shoot at least three arabs in the face.

>> No.3601617
File: 31 KB, 400x400, badass-simo1[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Simo Hayha had a fairly boring life in Finland. He served his one mandatory year in the military, and then became a farmer. But when the Soviet Union invaded his homeland in 1939, he decided he wanted to help his country.

Since the majority of fighting took place in the forest, he figured the best way to stop the invasion was to grab his trusty rifle, a couple of cans of food and hide in a tree all day shooting Russians. In six feet of snow. And 20-40 degrees below zero.

Of course when the Russians heard that dozens of their men were going down and that it was all one dude with a rifle, they got fucking scared. He became known as "The White Death" because of his white camouflage outfit, and they actually mounted whole missions just to kill that one guy.

They started by sending out a task force to find Hayha and take him out. He killed them all.

Then they tried getting together a team of counter-snipers (which are basically snipers that kill snipers) and sent them in to eliminate Hayha. He killed all of them, too.

Over the course of 100 days, Hayha killed 542 people with his rifle. He took out another 150 or so with his SMG, sending his credited kill-count up to 705.

Since everyone they had was either too dead or too scared to go anywhere near him, the Russians just carpet-bombed everywhere they thought he might be. Supposedly, they had the location right, and he actually got hit by a cloud of shrapnel that tore his coat up, but didn't actually hurt him, because he's the fucking White Death, damn it.

Finally on March 6th, 1940, some lucky bastard shot Hayha in the head with an exploding bullet. When some other soldiers found him and brought him back to base, he "had half his head missing." The White Death had finally been stopped...

...for about a week. In spite of having come down with a nasty case of shot-in-the-face syndrome, he was still very much alive, and regained consciousness on March 13, the very day the war ended.

>> No.3601635

>>3600756
So there's no difference between North Korea and Finland? Cool no true scotsman fallacy bro.
>>3601551
So freedom is free? If we just surrendered to the nazis we'd still be free?

>> No.3601816

Free as in freedom is not free as in price.

>> No.3601835

gratis
libre

THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS, OP!

>> No.3601837

Freedom in any nation with any laws at all is impossible. safety without a nation with laws is impossible. Freedom is inherently free, and you inherently don't have it- nor do I.

That is all

>>3599731

>> No.3601945

>>3601835
this

freedom from restraints is not free of cost

>> No.3601977

>>3601551
I had a T-shirt with that quote on. Nobody got the reference, it was quite interesting.

>> No.3602019

>>3601635
Could you please stop spouting bullshit?

As someone said earlier, there is no simple essential "freedom".
It's relative.
You can't simply be "free", but you can, for example, be "free to speak out your religious believes".

>> No.3602026
File: 1.02 MB, 190x167, MJ Popcorn1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>3601945
inb4 autist grasps at straws and says cost is a restr-

oh who am I kidding? inafter autists. Let me get my popcorn.

>> No.3602031

>>3601551
Don't forget, ignorance is strength.

>> No.3602032

>>3602031
But the truth is a lie!

>> No.3602035

>>3602032
How many fingers am I holding up?