[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 8 KB, 273x146, wifi-danger-sante.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3571209 No.3571209 [Reply] [Original]

Okay, some people in my town are freaking out because hydro is installing wireless electricity meters. Here's some stupid shit from their site:

"The information-carrying radio waves, transmitting 24/7, will effectively blanket homes and neighbourhoods with radiation that could adversely affect not just humans but all living systems. In particular, these meters have the potential to affect not only electrohypersensitive persons, but children and pregnant women, persons with medical conditions such as heart arrhythmia, those with compromised immune systems, and others who rely on medical and/or metal implants or equipment."

"Electrohypersensitive" - I don't believe it. We're soaked in radio frequencies all the time. The town radio station. Other people's phones. Emergency vehicles and equipment. Shortwave. Your neighbour's wi-fi, or microwave oven. Wireless cameras, everywhere.

That said, I don't know how this shit works. Is a wi-fi signal actually stronger in your house than say, a radio station? What simple thing could I tell these people that would make their concern sound as stupid as it is?

>> No.3571263

apparently cellphone tower has some health effects on people who live underneath, it probably has something to do with power. But normal low power of radiowave probably doesn't do anything bad to you.

>> No.3571282

>We're soaked in radio frequencies all the time. The town radio station. Other people's phones. Emergency vehicles and equipment. Shortwave. Your neighbour's wi-fi, or microwave oven. Wireless cameras, everywhere.

At least half of those have massive warnings about cancer.....

>> No.3571294
File: 25 KB, 300x300, dafookinsun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3571304

>>3571209
Op, what kind of retard town do you live in?

Also, I work for a utility company and those things only transmit when they receive a handshake signal from a guy driving a truck. They are about as powerful as a K-mart walkie-talkie and transmit for about three seconds once every month or so.

>> No.3571313

>>3571263
Even more interestingly these symptoms appear even before the towers are turned on. Radio waves FROM THE FUTURE.

>> No.3571315

>>3571304
it's been happening lots of places, the town my parents live in for ex.

It's all baby boomers with too much time on their hands to look up websites about 'cancer causing radio waves'

>> No.3571330
File: 10 KB, 264x282, 941379473456.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>'cancer causing radio waves'
Should be "cancer-causing radio waves"
Cancer doesn't cause radio waves (as far as I know).

>> No.3571334

>>3571304
Victoria BC.
http://citizensforsafetechnology.org/BC-Hydros-Wireless-Smart-Meters,25,641

I also heard these ones only transmit for a few seconds at a time, so they're wrong about the 24/7 part.

>> No.3571338

>>3571330
I'm sure some part of the constellation does emit radio signals

But yes, thank you for pointing that out

>> No.3571353

>>3571338
Certainly all of the stars that make up the constellation emit electromagnetic waves, if not the constellation itself (it being an imaginary pattern concieved by humans). Touché.

>> No.3571361

>>3571315
>It's all baby boomers with too much time on their hands to look up websites about 'cancer causing radio waves'

>Global warming is a conspiracy.
>The US president is a manchurian candidate
>Da lectric company is tryin to cancer me

I think it's time to Logans Run the over-50 crowd.

>> No.3571544
File: 80 KB, 500x500, 1279852039165_f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3571330
Quite impressive, grasshopper.
As opposed to a quite impressive grasshopper.

>pic related.

>> No.3571583

"Electrohypersensitive" is a real thing, but it is typically only at low frequencies, especially the 60hz mains signal which is typically the most powerful radio signal in any home. So, whatever signal the power meters are sending out, is probably insignificant compared to what the powerline itself is sending out.

Of course I can't rule out people having weird sensitivities to certain frequencies ranges, but the higher the frequency, the less likely it seems that a human body would respond to it (other than just by energy transfer, like if it was strong enough to cook you).