[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 17 KB, 260x320, neil_degrasse_tyson.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3568909 No.3568909 [Reply] [Original]

http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifestyle/fox-to-revamp-acclaimed-science-series-cosmos-with-neil-degra
sse-tyson/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imS6H1JAkGY&feature=related

He's the right man for the job.

>> No.3568944

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHx802sGAc&feature=related

Seconded.

>> No.3568951

First a black disney princess.

And now this.

>fucking sick of white people's guilt
>BAAAMAAAAAA

>> No.3568958

>>3568951

Dont forget black norse god.

That one just came out of nowhere.

Trying to normalize the successes and capabilities of black people and gain public acceptance is one thing- but that is just fucking out of place- like a black jesus or black chinese roman emperor.

>> No.3568967

>>3568909
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imS6H1JAkGY&feature=related

Carl Sagan, what a bro

>> No.3568970

>>3568951
The fact that you even recognize him as black rather than another /sci/ence man is indicative either of your own racial prejudices or an inner guilt you yourself harbor.

Noting that a Disney princess was black and interpreting it as out of place supports this conclusion, as well.

>> No.3568973

>>3568909
He's kind of a dick. My source:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me3-r5rsUSI

Nobody insults McKay, the smartest person in two galaxies.

>> No.3568977

>>3568951
>>3568958
Oh, fuck off. Tyson's great. I'm looking forward to the new series.

>> No.3568980

>>3568970

What I read:

>Y U NO VOTE OBAMA OMG U RACIST
>CHANGE

Won't work on me though, I'm black.

Dickface.

>> No.3568981

>>3568970
I affirm this person's comments

>> No.3568986

bearing the name Tyson,

this black gentleman harbors a genetic predisposition toward violence and rape.

>Cant wait for Tyson to bite the ear off in a heated debate

>> No.3569002

>>3568973

WHAT THE FUCK.

AM SERIOUSLY RAGING.

BILL NYE DOSNT EVEN HAVE A PHD AND HES RIPPING ON MCKAY FOR NOT HAVING PUBLISH RECENTLY

>> No.3569009

>>3569002

well he did get honorary doctorates if that counts for anything

not many engineers go on to do PhDs anyway, even the most brilliant

>> No.3569017

>>3568980
So am I. Doesn't matter, what I said still stands.

>> No.3569035

>>3569017

No it dosn't.

The fact is that there are many many more white "men of science" as opposed to black ones. Its a truth, dont bitch to me about racial equality.

To pick a black man based on pure merit for this job is a statistical improbability. Iam not saying it is impossible, just far less likely.

Also, why was Bill Nye passed over for Tyson? He would have been more appropriate seeing as to how Carl Sagan was his professor -> it is literally handing it over to the next generation in good fashion.

Lets face it, this may or may not be an example of black people being where they dont deserve to be, but with all thats been going on in the media lately, I dont think it unreasonable to gripe a little.

>> No.3569044

>>3568970

Different guy but you must be kidding. Disney is notorious for how racist it is. You probably don't even remember Briar Rabbit.

>> No.3569048

>>3568970

UH

FACT:

THERE WERE NO NEGROID KINGDOMS

HOW THE FUCK R U GONNA GET A BLACK PRINCESS????????

(sand niggers are not black)

>> No.3569061

Allow me to play double advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.
Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts, instead of making a half-harded effort. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like its a peach of cake.

>> No.3569064

I think Tyson will do a good job. Even if he has been picked partially for the colour of his skin i only think it can be a good thing as we're having to deal with a disenfranchised black youth today. One of the most consistent reasons I hear is that there is no good black male role model for a lot of these kids, so they default to guys like lil' Wayne and Tupac. This breeds an inherently destructive society.

They see education in Science and Maths which would improve their life as "something for white guys". I think having a black man, and a strong speaker at that, to do this series will do a lot of good. It'll prove that they *can* actually do something with their lives.

It's just a pop-sci show, The content's already there. It requires no research, just enthusiasm and powerful speech.

It's all irrellevant anyway because it still won't be as good as Carl's.

>> No.3569066

> For all intensive purposes

you best be trollin

>> No.3569067

>>3569048
Ethiopia would like a word with you.

>> No.3569071

>>3569064

Fuck. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Black Disney Princess.

Black Norse God.

Black "science guy"

Its all political.

Fuck that. Im black, and even im sick of it. If you arent, youre just afraid of being called a racist. It should piss anybody off to see somebody be in a place they dont deserve to be. Dont matter if you are black or white.

>> No.3569079

>>3569067

Well fuck me.

From now on I'd be learned to say instead: Kingdoms that weren't shit.

>> No.3569081

>>3569048
Shit, son. This is Disney. Is this history class? There were never witches, how do we have frog princes?? Shut up. You're wrong anyway...pre-colonial Africa had plenty of kingdoms.

>>3569035
I dont think the scientific community as a whole thinks the way you do. I seriously doubt the selection process for the show was based on how much the particular host's race has contributed to science. Its not like that. Race has been disregarded and they simply chose a HUMAN. What are you expecting? Them to disregard Tyson as a potential host because black people have contributed less to science that white people? No, thats ridiculous.

As for Sagan and Nye...Whatever, thats not the issue. When Kaku hosts shows, nobody cries that it should be Nye.

>>3569044
Disney used to be racist. Right. Is this relevant or are we just spouting trivia at this point? Every time that they do something unracist are they now displaying "white guilt"?

>> No.3569084
File: 53 KB, 521x515, neil degrasse tyson..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3568909
>>3568909

He doesn't have a voice as mesmerizing as Sagan, but I guess he's the best for the job.

>> No.3569085

>>3569071
You are fucking retarded. You aint black.

>> No.3569090

>>3569079
It existed from approximately 1137 (beginning of Zagwe Dynasty) until 1974 when the monarchy was overthrown in a coup d'etat. It was the only native African nation to successfully resist the Scramble for Africa by the colonial powers during the 19th century.

Dont try to excuse your ignorance by downplaying the facts. There were many African kingdoms.

>> No.3569103

>>3569081

You didnt get my point.

Heres an analogy:

There are 99 white balls and 1 black ball in a drawer.

Stick your hand in and take out a ball, is it more likely to be white or black?

If you had picked out a black ball from the drawer, then either:

1) You were being colorblind and had chosen 1 randomly and had in the unlikely scenario selected a black one.

or

2) You had chosen to take the black one.

Tell me which hypothesis is statistically likely

>> No.3569106

>>3569071
he stood out to me on all the random space shows on discovery channel etc years ago when he was on them, weird huh?

>> No.3569107

>>3569085

give me your number ill call you right now

>> No.3569109

Is he related to Mike Tyson.

Thats all Im interested in.

>> No.3569111

>>3568970

I agree.

"The fact that you even recognize him as black rather than another /sci/ence man is indicative either of your own racial prejudices or an inner guilt you yourself harbor."

When hearing this, I thought "Cool, they're bringing back Cosmos. And it's going to be hosted by someone who obviously has a great public speaking voice and is interested in science."

The fact that he was black never even crossed my mind.

>> No.3569117

lol haven't browsed 4chan in months and the first mildly interesting thread I expand to see that what? That /sci/ discussions always boil down to race debates. ALWAYS.

I'll be back never.

>> No.3569121

>>3569111

Cosmos should have been handed down to Bill Nye! Carl Sagan would have been proud!

>> No.3569123

>>3569071
Whether you're black or not is irrelevant. What we have here are kids that are raised in a culture of hating authority, especially white authority. They see science as closed to them because it's full of old white guys. Tyson hosting this show and teaching them about the universe in an engaging and interesting manner might set them on the road to considering that they might actually be able to learn about some of this stuff themselves. White kids won't give a shit that Tyson's black unless it's in some southern hick state. In which case they'll be too busy being taught that Jesus made everything.

The key here is the expanding of horizons and the opening of minds.

>> No.3569125

>>3569103
it's SIMPLICITY MAN
How much of the astro field is white, I ask you.

>> No.3569128

>>3569125

How much is black.

>> No.3569129

>>3569125

Point remains: no. of non-blacks outnumber by vast magnitude the no. of blacks.

>> No.3569130

>>3569103
I get that. But we aren't talking about scientists in general either. Were talking about public speakers with a scientific background who have some kind of brand to the general public.

Were talking about people who have been on TV and are generally recognizable.

Tyson is one of those people. So is Michio. So is Bill Nye. So is Hawking. Thats why they got their shows. Hes one of those types of people.

You could argue that he only got to his position of recognition in the first place because he is black, but you wouldn't do that...would you?

>> No.3569134

>>3569123

BUT WHY SHOULD IT BE A TOOL FOR YOUR POLITICAL ASPIRATIONS YOU LIBERAL PIECE OF SHIT

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF SCIENCE

>> No.3569141

>>3569103

I guess I cant see a major flaw in that logic.

But still. It''d be nice to see a change once in awhile.

>> No.3569150

>>3569141

>change

*cringe*

>> No.3569151

wow I thought /sci/ had a hard on for NDT? You bastards wouldn't be screaming to put in Bill Nye if they had put michio kaku in.

>> No.3569163

>>3569151

Watch this and tell me you honestly still believe what you just said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbzouFaMJU4

>> No.3569173

>>3569163

>T minus 7 seconds

At the 25th out of 30 seconds in the clip

>> No.3569229

>>3569163

oh take your nostalgia goggles off. bill is great and there is no denying the impact he made on science education but he is more of an entertainer than an educator. if he was running cosmos, it would be filled with sight gags, random jokes, and 'quirky humor.'

carl sagan never had to resort to any of that to get your interest and neither does NDT. you just want bill to be the host of cosmos so you can relive your childhood

>> No.3569421

>>3569229

Pretty much what I thought. Bill Nye is interesting, but he presents a more comedic air with his science than a passionate yearning.

Not to discredit him. Bill Nye is wonderful and I think he has a great approach, but it's always good to maintain the status quo with a television show. This is why (and forgive me for providing a popular TV show reference) there was a big debate on who should replace Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men. Finding someone who is the best fit is difficult. And I've only watched a few episodes of that, FYI.

It can only help attract a broader range of viewers, really.

>> No.3569456

Black Heimdall was the best part of Thor.

Stop being a butthurt redneck, and go cry about the new nonwhite Ultimate Spiderman.

>> No.3570308
File: 14 KB, 298x440, 15834.gif.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3568909
Right. Man. For. The. Job. My. ASS.

Listen. To. The. Hypnotic. Tones. Of. My. Superior. Digitally. Synthesized. Voice.

I. Am. About. To. Bring. A. Glorious. Dawn. Of. PAIN. To. The. House. Of. Degrasse.

There. Can. Be. Only. One one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one. *Click*

Bitch.

>> No.3570425

>>3569061
6/10, made me laugh

>> No.3570496

>>3569121
>>3569035

Bill Nye doesn't even have the credentials to host the show; why should he even be considered?

He's a fucking engineer with a BSc and two honorary PhDs. He didn't earn his doctorates at all; furthermore, he's is not adept in the Hard Sciences like Tyson is.

even the credentials don't match. Tyson, despite being black, is right for the position.