[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 21 KB, 153x227, notrelated.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3551908 No.3551908 [Reply] [Original]

Am I the only atheist here who has a soft spot in his heart for religious people?

I dunno, they just seem like a hopeful child who believes in Santa Claus. It's rather beautiful, in some way. Of course, the concept of a God is just wishful thinking which simply isn't true, though I feel bad for pointing it out. I'm sure that most theists would eventually learn and realize the truth for themselves, like every child does about Santa Claus. But if they don't, I wouldn't want to argue and try to convince them otherwise. Does anyone else feel this way?

Pic related, of course.

>> No.3551917

Am I the only troll here who has a soft spot in his heart for trolling people?

I dunno, they just seem like a hopeful child who believes in Santa Claus. It's rather beautiful, in some way. Of course, the concept of a God is just wishful thinking which simply isn't true, though I feel bad for pointing it out. I'm sure that most theists would eventually learn and realize the truth for themselves, like every child does about Santa Claus. But if they don't, I wouldn't want to argue and try to convince them otherwise. Does anyone else feel this way?

Pic related, of course.

>> No.3551920
File: 47 KB, 450x300, 1312338880059.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>that feel when your mom is the greatest most kind and pure person in the whole entire world and believes in God and deep in your heart, you hold a glimmer of hope that God is real, if only just for her

>> No.3551915

>santa claus
>children
Yep.
Still just supernatural crap though.

>> No.3551924

OP, are you Ghandi?

>> No.3551929

>>3551920
If not for God, she would be a bitch. Like /sci/ in general.

>> No.3551932

>>3551924

Gandhi**

I can not spell fucking indian names.

>> No.3551933

>>3551920

I know that feel bro... I know that feel.

>> No.3551941

>>3551908
It's when they blow up a building next to me, I get hostile towards literalist.

>> No.3551954

>>3551941

Human beings blew up that building. Fuck them all, I say

>> No.3551961

>>3551954
>lol im so nihilistic and edgy xD

>> No.3551975

I envy religious people. I wish I had a book to refer to that would tell me what that good is, what virtue is, and how to achieve it. They even have folks who are experts at interpreting the book who give motivational speeches every week to keep you going. Sounds great if it wasn't a bunch of nonsense.

>> No.3551972

>>3551961

I'm not a nihilist, I was making a point about how it's stupid to hate people of a certain religion, even if A LOT of the people in said religion can be douchebags. Humans CAN be evil. They can also be good. Nihilists are fucking douchebags.

>> No.3551977

more of an agnostic in the sense that i think we could have been put here by some more intelligent civilization, but i have a soft spot for people that need hope yes

>> No.3551981

>>3551972

Totally noticed my hypocrisy there for generalizing all nihilists. My bad.

>> No.3552009

>>3551908
No. I don't feel it's quite that harmless.

The problem is that quite many don't quietly live out their beliefs at home. They bring them into politics.

Now, I'm all for people getting their voice in politics, but having these opinions dictated by the bible (or a far more contemporary priest./preacher... whatever... interpreter) is not really adequate for a society that runs on science and that should need to strive for peaceful coexistence with other religions - the holy books the religions of the world claim to have however almost always don't, they work towards the exclusion of all other religions, branding them immoral and unacceptable and what not, all disbelievers marked up for conversion and killing, at least under specific circumstances.

That the believers don't actually believe all of it anymore is a great achievement, but the doctrines still say so in writing.

>> No.3552069

>>3551908
>Am I the only atheist here who has a soft spot in his heart for religious people?

I have learnt to after many years, to see their strengths. Christianity seems to encourage better self discipline. Their rituals and the moral code they observe can encompass; lack of materialism/consumerism, disliking perversion, preserving the environment and introspection through the guise of praying.

I think scientists could benefit from observing certain daily routines.

>> No.3552097

As a normal person I don't have problem with the typical 'guy at work' who goes to church on Sunday, wears a crucifix and politely invites me and others to attend religious events his church is holding, at the very least he considers us worth saving I guess and it isn't exactly him going "CONVERT OR DIE MOTHERFUCKER!".

So in other words to everyone out there wearing an "I'm an athiest debate me" T-shirt, grow up.

>> No.3552167
File: 22 KB, 640x480, 1312898380899.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3551975
>cant tell from daily living and understanding how you like to be treated, or at least should

>> No.3552200

>>3552167
It is not how to treat others that is the problem. The problem is how should I lead my life. Is the contemplative life the good life? Or I should be pursuing pleasure instead? There are so many choices with no clear answers as to what is best.

>> No.3552230

>>3552069
That's not because of Christianity, goddamnit. You want some real christians who follow what christianity is about? Go to Africa or some third world country.

>> No.3552252

Well my fiancee's parent's are both ministers but prior to meeting her I cared not on iota one way or another what people believe in.
Since I met her (and more so her family) I've begun to hope (for them) that God or something like that is real.

>> No.3552292

For the most part I can relate to you. The problem is though, think about how many deaths can be attributed to religion. If children started killing in the name of Santa Claus and never stopped believing in him, would you really let something like that go on? Although in its purest form it is a really cool thing, every major religion has had over 1000 years to be corrupted.