[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 8 KB, 251x251, 1312358364401.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3535922 No.3535922 [Reply] [Original]

A question for /sci/.

What type of Atheist are you?

The kind who will attack and force any sense of religion out of your country for no reason? Or the kind like me, who don't give a damn; why should I care if a church is built next to me? It isn't for me. Looks pretty, kickass designs, not much else. It doesn't concern me at all. [/example]

Not trying to troll, I'm just curious.

>> No.3535929

Gnostic Atheist, cuzz its fun to troll theists.

>> No.3535928
File: 8 KB, 213x120, 0edc249f0bdb209ed27b95c6be712672.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The second one, but the church near me.. I don't know. Thank God that will never happen :)

>> No.3535934

>>3535922
I'm the kind that pretends my made up and abstract realities are for everyone.

>> No.3535945

>>3535929
There are not gnostic atheists.

YOu're either a theist or atheist or agnostic. Anything else is just retarded semantics.

>> No.3535946

Normally I don't give a damn, but if somebody tried to build a church next to me I'd be liable to burn it down.
Fucking church bells and sunday mass are incredibly loud, not to mention I'd have crazies constantly congregating outside my house

>> No.3535948

>>3535934
>made up and abstract realities
>type of atheist

Fullretard.png

>> No.3535950

What if I am the type of atheist who pretends to be religious, just so I can present the stupidest theist argument and get people to question the validity of theism in general, but just end up with a lot of stupid people's money?

>> No.3535957

>>3535946
Eh. I'd deal with it or move. I have no right to try to take away stability and happiness from so many other people just because I can't sleep in on Sundays. That's bullshit.

>> No.3535961

>>3535945
Wrong.

>> No.3535965

>>3535950
We'd call you pope.

>> No.3535967

>>3535945
You sound ignorant.

>> No.3535969

>>3535957
>stability and happiness
>church
Where the fuck are you from? Nobody enjoys church, most people treat it like a chore.
And stability? How the hell is believing in an insane sky wizard who could strike you down at any moment because somebody else committed a sin, or having your children raped by priests going to give you stability?

>> No.3535973

>>3535969
>How the hell is believing in an insane sky wizard who could strike you down at any moment because somebody else committed a sin, or having your children raped by priests going to give you stability?

Different folks, different strokes. Tyranny doesn't bother some people. And Christians are often ignorant to those facts, often intentionally, so it wouldn't bother them anyway.

>> No.3535976

>>3535969

by providing rules, order, restrictions, an extended family, and a place to be every sunday morning

>> No.3535974

>>3535967
Nope, just a realist. You sound like you're a philosophy student who expects those concepts to translate perfectlt into the real world

>> No.3535980

I'm probably more of a Buddhist than an atheist. I really hate preachy atheists, fucking annoying

>> No.3535987

>>3535976
This.

Going to church isn't always about kissing God's ass. it's about going out and being with your friends and family, too. A prayer here, few songs there, then you're free to go back home or head to Denny's for some kickass pancakes with the friends/family you all love.

I remember these days fondly from when I was a Christian. It's really not that bad. Even after I admitted my conversion to Atheism to my parents, they accepted and offered me to come with them to church anyway, for the family.

I agreed. Problem, militantfags?

>> No.3536017

>>3535976

Its also a good place to sell girl scout cookies for $10 a box and cheap indian reservation cigarettes to minors for twice what you bought them for, so that when you spend all your rent money on drugs you can still make some extra money to give to your landlord.
Stability.

>> No.3536025

>>3535987
No problem. However, I don't see why you need church in order to get your family together?
I have eat dinner with my family every night.

>> No.3536034

>>3536025
It isn't a matter of need, it's a matter of convenience.

I don't need to bring my dad with me to action movies, but I still like to and ask him whenever I get the chance.

>> No.3536047

>>3536025

You missed the point, its not just your family, but connecting with other families, helping families in need, having the humility to accept the help and opinions of other families, bonding, and becoming one big super family.

>> No.3536057

I'm jewish, silly

>> No.3536062

>>3536057
Fine, temple.

I don't know many Jews, but doesn't it sound the same, interaction-wise?

>> No.3536090

My whole city is bar church bar church bar church....wtf

>> No.3536100

My parents never told me about God, and the first time I heard the concept was on the internet.

I'm torn. On the one hand, my intuition tells me to be atheist since I've never experienced anything like a God, and on the other I desperately wish to be a theist.

>> No.3536116

>>3536062

No, because we drink wine, not gentile baby blood.

>> No.3536120

>>3536100
Why do you wish for such a thing?

Religion is pretty easy to emulate, it's pretty much make-believe, except you convince yourself of it after so much repetition, or out of confusion of the scientific world caused by ignorance or limitations in intellect.

>> No.3536134

I'm the kind of atheist that spews inane, outright false, facts about science. Most of the time the evangelist think its all true and walk away with the good ol' cop out, "Well, I know that God is real and that's all that matters." At rare moments though, a christfag will call me on it, saying that what I am saying is completely made up. I come back with, "Well if you can make up shit and call it fact, why can't I?" Yeah, usually I get nonsensical blabber at this point but it's cool because I've already tuned out and just walk away.

>> No.3536161

>>3536120

My normal life seems boring and lacking in emotional depth and purpose. I often find myself convinced of the existence of a God/Gods on a theoretical level, and then abandon it later since what I really care about is direct experience of the divine, and a bunch of fancy arguments don't supply that. More then that, most religious people (At least the Abrahamics) seem to be more concern with Earthly things rather then the divine ones I seek.

>> No.3536171

I'm the one who trolls religious fags at internet, and laugh at their retarded beliefs in ressurrecting faggots and shit like that.

But I do it for the lulz, not for the Atheism.

About the church: is too much noisy?

>> No.3536172

The type who thinks that we have better things to discuss.

>> No.3536182

>>3536161
The problem here is trying to apply theory to God.

God is not a deterministic engine of knowledge. His concept pertains to comfort in life and morality, not answers to life, as millions of Christians have mistakenly led their lives believing, while being met with so much confusion and hatred of disagreeing people their whole lives.

Christians don't pray to their god to fix a flat tire, and deep down, they know why. But they instead convince themselves it is because their god wants them to fend for themselves.

Scientists "pray" to fulcrum and gravity to do it. And what do you know, they actually get results.

>> No.3536184

>>3536100
>He wants to live in a divine north korea where he can be convicted of thought crime and must believe ludacris statements on pain of eternal tourture

>> No.3536186

>>3536161
>>3536182
notsureiftrollorjuststupid.jpgs, notsureiftrollorjuststupid.jpgs everywhere

>> No.3536188

>>3536186
Neither. I just understand Christians. I lived a portion of my life as one.

>> No.3536192

Well i have a small church just down the street from me (a 2min walk if that) and it doesn't really bother me, to each their own. Though it does kinda piss me off when a representative shows up on my doorstep looking for donations or converts.

>> No.3536198

>>3536192
also i do drop by them in the summer ever once in a while to pick up some cookies since there always seems to be a little girl selling them.

>> No.3536207

>>3535945
>There are not gnostic atheists.

>YOu're either a theist or atheist or agnostic. Anything else is just retarded semantics.
I disagree.

Theist/atheist is about if the person believes in gods.
Gnostic/agnostic is about if the person claims have confirmable knowledge about its first answer.

>> No.3536236

>>3535922
> There are two kinds of atheists, those who murder/rape/pillage religious folks and those who don't have any feelings whatsoever on the matter of religion.

Sounds legit.

>> No.3536239

I'm the type that would never mention being an atheist unless specifically asked. Being an "Athiest" is more an answer to a question than any major part of my life.

I couldn't care in the least if someone is religious, as long as they keep it to themselves/keep it out of government.

>> No.3536250

>>3536198

Can you believe she actually thinks she is entitled to half the profits I make on these greatly marked up products just because people are reluctant to buy girl scout cookies from anyone other than little girls?

>> No.3536256

I "don't give a damn; why should I care if a church is built next to me?"

however, if they start imposing non-scientific restrictions on my research, or claim that my science is invalid based on religious texts, I'll open a can of whoop-ass.

>> No.3536259

>>3536256
>whoop-ass
Nah.

>Humiliation.
Much more painful.

>> No.3536264

I've always thought "militant" atheists are just as objectionable as fundamentalist Christians. I mean, who are you trying to convince, the people you belittle and rage against or yourself?

You can't "convert" adults who have strongly held beliefs. All you're doing is exchanging butthurt and making an ass out of yourself.

I've been an atheist for 15 years. I feel no need to convert anyone or "prove" I'm right or win big idiotic theoretical arguments that can't ultimately be proven. I know there is no god. That's good enough for me. What other people believe is up to them.

>> No.3536273
File: 126 KB, 340x480, thiiiis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3536264

>> No.3536286

>>3536264
This. I live with a fairly militant atheist and its quite annoying to listen to him when he gets going.

>> No.3536291

Science is ALWAYS based on faith because you assume that logic and mathematics are true, even though they're unprovable. They're just theories while God is fact.

>> No.3536292

>>3536264

>I've always thought "militant" atheists are just as objectionable as fundamentalist Christians.

I've always thought people who say this don't really care that it's inaccurate, they're just angry at atheists but want to appear even handed. Or self-hating atheist quislings, which seems to be the case here.

>You can't "convert" adults who have strongly held beliefs.

Where do you think atheists come from? Holes in the ground?

>What other people believe is up to them.

Except they act on it in ways that affects us. And when people like Palin, Bachmann, etc. get their way, it's your fault because you did nothing and stood in the way of those willing to do something.

>> No.3536305

>>3536292
> Where do you think atheists come from? Holes in the ground?

I take it your parents haven't given you the talk on the birds and the bees yet...?

>> No.3536306

Moreover, OP and those like him are to blame for legal victories for creationism in Louisiana, the Texas textbook revisions, the illegality of gay marriage, etc.

Good atheists are fighting these things, but people like OP are attacking them instead of helping.

>> No.3536312

>>3536291
Please, we're trying to be serious here.

>> No.3536314

>>3536292
I'll concede on the last point, I agree that "fundamentalism" can be very dangerous in powerful hands but in most cases it's the trappings of fundamentalism, i.e. the ability to get elected to office BY fundamentalists that these people want. I doubt seriously Palin of Bachmann actually believe the BS they spout, it's just a means to an end. GW Bush, on the other hand...

>> No.3536315

>>3536305

>I take it your parents haven't given you the talk on the birds and the bees yet...?

Your implication is that all atheists are atheists because their parents were. That is statistically impossible, given the growth rate of atheism. Most atheists started out in religious families. Therefore, peoples' minds can in fact be changed.

Dan Barker is a good example; A preacher for most of his life, now he's one of the better known figures in American atheism. Whoops, where'd your argument go?

>> No.3536318

>>3536292
>implying people like Palin are people you'd ever listen to if Atheists let them have power

>> No.3536320

>>3536312

Maybe if you formed your own opinions once in a while, instead of parroting everything Dawkins spits out of his sinful mouth, you could truly see the glory of God

>> No.3536321

But if it's a big enough church, the damn Sunday traffic would be horrible.

>> No.3536325

>>3536318

Huh? What does this mean?

>> No.3536327

religion is a sign of childhood indoctrination and an unwillingness to change opinion in face of fact.

if you don't change your opinion when presented with evidence, you are dangerous.

>> No.3536332

Atheistic Satanist. Burning down churches alllll dayy, zero tolerance, bitch.

dealwithit.jpg

>> No.3536347

>>3536320
You are just adorable. Can we keep you?

>> No.3536353

>>3536347

I don't think we can afford the buttplugs and cheap lube necessary to maintain the butthurt.

>> No.3536354

I don't care what people do so long as it doesn't affect me

>> No.3536356

>>3536354

>I don't care what people do so long as I can turn a blind eye to the ways in which it affects me
fixed for you

>> No.3536358

Atheists are never moral because they do not believe in God

Morals are God-given not man-made

>> No.3536359

>>3536358

God never said to not rape (in fact he encouraged it if it could spread the faith), yet rape is considered morally unacceptable, but why?

>> No.3536360

>>3536358
Can we keep this one, too?

>> No.3536377

>>3536360

eh, its a samefag anyway

>> No.3536384

>>3536315
> Your implication is that all atheists are atheists because their parents were.

That isn't what my statement implied at all. Your statement suggested that all atheists are converts ("where did all the atheists come from then?") I used humour to guide you towards the possibility of people having been raised in atheist families, which despite your baseless claim that most atheists are converts could still be used to account for the presence of 'all the atheists'.

> Whoops, where'd your argument go?
I made no argument, which may explain your difficulties in finding it. I was merely pointing out the critical flaw in your own argument.

>> No.3536389

>>3536384

Where did those atheist families come from?

>> No.3536391

>>3535922
I'm in the middle. You see, these people vote, and they sometimes vote for evil things because of their false beliefs. That's why I care.

>> No.3536400

>>3536389
Now you're suggesting that at some point in time there was no such thing as atheists. Big claim, not sure if its true or not, but I'd like to see some evidence. I'm not saying people don't convert, as I said, merely pointing out the flaw in your argument.

>> No.3536405

>>3536400
Let me clarify that before you jump - some point in human time.

>> No.3536415

>>3536264
>I've always thought "militant" atheists are just as objectionable as fundamentalist Christians. I mean, who are you trying to convince, the people you belittle and rage against or yourself?
I am a person living in a democratic republic, and the whole thing hinges on the idea of informed consent, which itself hinges on the idea of the marketplace of ideas ala freedom of speech. It does that man no service if I do not challenge his most dearly held beliefs. I want the same for me.

>You can't "convert" adults who have strongly held beliefs. All you're doing is exchanging butthurt and making an ass out of yourself.
The evidence is against you.
'The Evolution of Confusion' by Dan Dennett, AAI 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9w8JougLQ

In here, Dan Dennett cites several clergy-people who were noticeably and significantly helped to atheism by Hitchen's book God Is Not Great, and the other 3 horsemen books.

>> No.3536470

>>3536400

>Now you're suggesting that at some point in time there was no such thing as atheists.

No, I am saying if you trace the family history of people that are still around being atheist in this predominately Theist culture, at some point you will likely run into a non-atheist, meaning at some point in their family tree, someone had to be converted and probably could not have done so without non-theist biased information.

Its not that they didn't exist, but they didn't exist in accessible numbers in this culture.