[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 32 KB, 232x347, CosmosNeilTyson 001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3533515 No.3533515 [Reply] [Original]

Seth MacFarlane is bringing back Carl Sagan's Cosmos

> After recently signing on to reboot one classic TV show, Hanna-Barbera's The Flintstones, Seth MacFarlane is taking on another iconic TV series, Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage. Fox has greenlighted Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey, a 13-part docu-series from Family Guy creator MacFarlane and late Sagan's original collaborators – his widow, writer/producer Ann Druyan and astrophysicist Steven Soter. Envisioned as a successor to the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning original 13-part program, which was hosted by Sagan, the new Cosmos series will be hosted by renowned astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson. Underscoring MacFarlane's commercial appeal, Cosmos will air on Fox in primetime, something pretty unprecedented these days for a science documentary series on commercial American television. (The original series aired on PBS.) Fox will air Cosmos: A Personal Voyage in 2013, which is also when the network will launch MacFarlane's Flintstones reboot. National Geographic Channel, which will co-produce Cosmos, will air a same-night encore of the episodes following their broadcast on Fox. The project is being done outside of MacFarlane's overall deal with 20th Century fox TV. “Never more than at this moment in the modern era have we needed a profound reminder of the colossally important and exciting role that science, space exploration and the human quest for knowledge must continue to play in our development as a species,” MacFarlane said.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/fox-orders-13-episode-sequel-to-carl-sagans-cosmos-docu-series-to-be
-produced-by-seth-macfarlane-for-2013-launch/

That.. is pretty fucking awesome. Major props to MacFarlane. I may not like some of his shows, but.. damn.. any guy that does that is gold in my book.

>> No.3533522

Fox and Seth MacFarlane. I am very afraid of the abortion this may produce.

>> No.3533532 [DELETED] 

So it will be like Cleveland Show but with science

>> No.3533534

Cosmos.
Now showing right before the fucking O'Rly Factor, so as soon as Tyson explains how the moon got there, Bill'O can claim the moon's formation to be a liberal atheist conspiracy.

>> No.3533538 [DELETED] 

I won't watch it.
Sage for pop science.

>> No.3533607

>>3533538
>saging science in a science board

>> No.3533622
File: 71 KB, 450x367, viu1239558287u.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3533534
>Fox
>Fox News
You're fucking stupid.

>> No.3533625

i'll watch the shit out of this.

>> No.3533642
File: 67 KB, 620x406, 1311375676268.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Never more than at this moment in the modern era have we needed a profound reminder of the colossally important and exciting role that science, space exploration and the human quest for knowledge must continue to play in our development as a species

yeah, this totally sounds like it will be a fail.

>> No.3533674

carl sagan was a faggot loser who smoked pot. i think he had like, downs syndrome too or something and thats why he acted like a retard.

>> No.3533698

.... Damn. I hate Seth McFarlane, the guy's an egotistical jerk, I hate his politics, and the guy's fucked up some genuinely good shows with weak humour.

But for this, I pretty much have to forgive all that...

>> No.3533835

ITT:

Foreigners don't realize that fox is not the same fox news.

FOX is relatively liberal compared to other major networks.

>> No.3533892

>>3533698
Yeah, say what you'd like about his ego, politics, and humor. It's hard to deny, however, that he's a pretty smart guy. At the very least, he is well-educated and well-spoken.

I remember seeing some interview or somesuch in which he complained about respect for science in science fiction and television. He exempted his own work, as it's a satirical cartoon, but he did mention that he would respect science if he branched off into anything else.

Fight it/hate it as you may, the guy is kinda one of us. He's a nerdy but well-educated Star Wars and Star Trek fan, an atheist, and can be a grating jerk. Much like the population of /sci/

>> No.3534327

>>3533835
FOX is relatively liberal compared to other major networks.
Was it family guy or somewhere else that jokes that' it's a big punch and judy game. Fox airs some 'liberal' offensive material then Fox News bitches about it.

Yeah. The Fox network is not Fox News. Though it is shitty for its own reasons.