[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 3 KB, 163x207, 1300547784149.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3531656 No.3531656 [Reply] [Original]

I absolutely can't understand why you are constantly moaning about religion, specifically christianity. It is the most unlogical thing ever trying to seriously debate about a thing that is absolutely impossible to prove or disprove. There is NO way to prove a side right. I'm thankful that intelligent people trying to disprove any form of deity is a small minority of pseudo scientists concentrated here on this board.

>> No.3531669
File: 55 KB, 400x400, 1309272991888.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>unlogical
>illogical

>> No.3531685
File: 9 KB, 200x147, RWenglishfail..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>unlogical
<<<

also, Christianity is a far more detailed belief system that one who simply believes in a vague deity. You can attack all details in the bible, and question their teaching on morality, miracles, biblical inconsistencies, etc.

>> No.3531687

>Asserts that you can't prove religion
>Doesn't want to argue with people who think they can
>because you can't prove it

>> No.3531693
File: 87 KB, 1280x800, bibledoublethink.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3531685
<<<
bible is logically inconsistent. it isn't possible to follow all of it as it contradicts itself, but then christians are supposed to follow the bible. this means there is a problem. they have to cherry pick and just follow the 'good' bits, but then they are using their own sense of intrinsic morality to choose which bit of the bible should be followed and which bits are just plain wrong (sometimes passed off as alegory, metaphor, etc.)

>> No.3531706

>>3531685
>>3531693

You make fun of my English, good, we can talk on German, Polish, Danish or French, too. But I want to see you doing that. Furthermore, you haven't proved anything with your strange attempts at attacking the religion in general. And this is why I don't understand you the "intellectual" atheists. You waste so much time with trying to "destroy" christianity, yet you fulfilled nothing in 2000 years. Not believing in anything, good. Believing in any deity? Also fine. Trying to disprove any religion? Waste of time.

>> No.3531718

>>3531656

The people that cares about irreligionizing other people, lives under the illusion that stupid people suddenly will stop being stupid if god/religion is disproven.

>> No.3531728
File: 400 KB, 640x480, 1301574375173.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3531706
>can't speak in latin
>thinks it's possible to discuss such tight-fit matters in a non-latin language
>complete bonehead on top

>> No.3531746

>>3531706
>Trying to disprove any religion? Waste of time.
Americans. 50% of whom believe the Earth is ~6000 years old because this book exists. Want creationism taught in science class. Want to break down the separation of church and state. Undermine scientific advancement.

It isn't a matter of disproving the religion or god, it is about highlighting how retarded it is to be theistic and all the baggage that comes with theism.

>> No.3531753
File: 85 KB, 757x737, informational1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3531706
I know i can't disprove religion, you can always invent some way for god to be hiding, or its some test of faith that he can't ever be seen (nowadays anyway, was supposedly far more visible in the old testament, but whatever)
FSM, invisble pink unicorn, fairy's, pixies gremlins etc all cant be disproven either, but it still is almost definitely a foolish idea to believe in them.

And i can still argue against Christianity even if i can't disprove it completely.
<<<

>> No.3531758

you waste your time and energy, OP.

Even if you were a missionary and not just disappoint, you can't really convert someone who thinks he holds all the answers.

>> No.3531769

you can't really convert someone who thinks

>> No.3531771

>>3531753

so you decided to be obnoxious holier-than-thou faggot on the internet. Something tells me you would have fit really well into a witch burning mob. You'd be the first to throw the torch.

>> No.3531777

>>3531753

Yes, you can. But the fact that you participate in a discussion which will NEVER have a final result doesn't make you smart, intellectual or whatever the average atheists here calls himself. But whatever, why am I concerned about all this? Do what you want, try to "make the world a better place" ! I wish you excessively superb fortune in doing so. And try to learn more languages first before attacking someones almost perfect English, retard.

>> No.3531782

/sci/ is the easiest bored to troll.

>> No.3531784

>>3531777
Religion directly and passively attacks the advancement of science. You're saying that it's a waste of time to promote the advancement of science, that's fucking retarded

>> No.3531793

OP, you are arguing with people who are too perpetually bitter over the subjects and have no education of it other than the first few results of Google Search: Christian inconsistencs. No one here has actually studied any of the prominent religions, much less the lesser than prominent ones. No one here is a theologist.

>> No.3531804

Have you actually given this any thought, OP, or are you just basing this on the common truism that the existence of god and the afterlife are "unknowable"? Why are you convinced that you can't prove or disprove god (and the afterlife)? What makes them so special?

Here are some arguments against (and, to be fair, some arguments for).

GOD
Against:
- The existence of suffering*
- The evidence for natural origins to basically everything in the universe, meaning God must have at most written the laws of physics but not interfered from then on
- The evidence that the universe is totally deterministic down to the atomic scale, meaning again that God apparantly doesn't interfere much
- If we're specifically talking about the god of the Bible here, the fact that 90% of its claims are refuted by archaelogical evidence

*in before someone gives me "moves in mysterious ways" as if that's a fucking refutation. Just because an argument isn't totally bulletproof doesn't make it worthless - the fact that the 'mysterious ways" argument is required to support the existence of god already puts the notion of his existence on less firm footing.

For:
- Strong feelings on the part of some people.
- Cultures the world over have come to have those same feelings.

Those two lists of arguments are obviously incomplete, but the arguments for "For" are obviously pretty shaky. So it's pretty clear that there very, very probably isn't any kind of theistic god, and DEFINITELY no abrahamic god. Yeah, it's not 100% certain. Neither is anything. The non-existence of god is actually more certain than a lot of things.

AFTERLIFE

Against:
- The fact that the mind appears to depend totally on the brain, in conjunction with the fact that the brain seems to be ruled by deterministic laws (laws of chemistry, laws of atomic physics, like anything else made of physical matter) implies that the mind cannot exist without the brain.

>> No.3531806
File: 183 KB, 750x578, 1289341552863.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3531771
lol wut? no, i'm an atheist.
religious people are the arrogant 'holier than thou' types, and were also the ones who believed in witches, when in fact they were burning innocent young women to death. I'd have never participated, i'd have opposed them if it happened in my time.

>>3531777
Some people can perhaps be convinced, i can explain why christianity is highly improbable, which might be enough to convert someone from it, which might be enough for them to not do stupid horrible things because of religion. its worth the effort in the long run, even just encouraging people to think about it and to think critically is a bonus.
>And try to learn more languages first before attacking someones almost perfect English, retard.
lol wut, nigger? I don't need to speak any other language than english to criticise someones english. Just as I don't need to have a PhD in rocket science to know when someone is fucking shite at zoology.

>> No.3531821

>>3531656

simple reason: 99% of the religious people any of encounter are Fucktards when it comes to scientific matters...
my home state has a Freaking CREATION MUSEUM... and they are planning to build a Noah's Ark Theme Park................................

>> No.3531828

Why do people try to argue agienst religion?
Because it's not the truth.
People make some fucking important decisions based on religion.
It's pretty much agreed that it's important to have as much correct information as possible when making a choice.

>9/11
>Norway shootings
>abortion
>relationship choices

>> No.3531920

>>3531782
Its in the top, but not number one. Number one is probably /v/ or /a/