[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 18 KB, 219x230, SilverGoldPlatinum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3524395 No.3524395 [Reply] [Original]

If someone wants to invest in gold, silver, or platinum, which would make the most profit in a long run of around 15-30 years from now?

>> No.3524406

Bump

>> No.3524410

Hard to tell.
In terms of cost Platinum > Gold > Silver
And we use Gold in a lot of electronics these days so i would guess Gold.

>> No.3524413

>>3524410
I've been reading silver will soon be more valuable than gold because of how fast we are using it and now it's used in so much stuff. That's why I was asking

>> No.3524414

>>3524395
rare earths.

REMX

Just took a hit though, so get it while it's low.

>> No.3524415

Investing in goal is a scam. Gold prices fluctuate with the market; they're not set in stone like we're lead to believe. Don't invest in gold, invest in things that appreciate over time like properties, antique artworks, et al.

>> No.3524419

>>3524414
Not talking about stocks, I'm talking about actually buying a hard product.

>> No.3524423

If you mean right NOW, platinum. Both gold and silver are in a bubble. In the long run, it shouldn't matter. And your best bet would be land anyhow. Ideally in some developing asian country (provided you trust the government, etc).

>> No.3524432

>>3524423
How should I go about buying it? Because 1 gram of platinum costs more than an ounce of silver... Should I buy tiny bars by the gram or save up and buy it in larger amounts?

>> No.3524433

>>3524419
eh..

So you don't plan to do anything then, eh.

>> No.3524442

>>3524432

Well, by the time you save up enough gold would probably crash and hence become the better choice. In general, the sooner the better, as the price (minus fluctuations) will only rise.

Do some market research before hand. It doesn't take much: plot the price over the past few decades and draw a line of best fit through the data. Only buy when the price is below the line.

>> No.3524450

No one knows, but consider the fact that gold has few industrial uses and the baseline of the price comes from the Indian jewellery market. Silver has a lot of industrial uses, platinum has some. All of these commodities have their prices hugely inflated, and I'm willing to bet that in 15-30 years, given the economy does at least a bit better, you'll lose a shitload of money by investing in any of these.

>> No.3524472
File: 25 KB, 400x352, 1272249765762.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

iunno

There seems to be a lack of any good reason why Gold's value should be as high as it is now. I share the paranoia that many have, about protecting my wealth from inflation, or collapse. But Gold can be just as vulnerable when all the Glenn Beck'd masses buy it. Its just another bubble.

Invest in Tungsten, it'll be gone soon.

>> No.3524491

Precious metals are not an investment you make for profit.

They are a store of wealth.

The price of precious metals in local currency fluctuates over time (you could gamble on this, but there are more reliable options) while the long term trend is always upward. There has never been a gold "crash," as some more ignorant or fearmongering would-be investors might put it, in all of recorded history. The only way for that to occur would be for gold to suddenly become orders of magnitude more common than it currently is, and we already know there's not enough gold on Earth accessible to us for that to happen no matter how many mines we open.

This upward trend in price doesn't mean the metal has actually increased in value, though. Its value doesn't really change much in the long term in terms of what kind of labor or resources it will buy you. What's actually happening is that the value of currency changes, and always downward in the long term.

If your currency collapses in the future, the price of gold in that currency will just shoot through the roof because it's not the currency that has any value; it's the gold that does.

>> No.3524496

>>3524472
>buying tungsten
>not buying and hoarding helium

>> No.3524498

>>3524491
you clearly have never heard of the gold bubble in the 1970s that popped

>> No.3524499

>>3524496
>buying helium
>not generating it yourself using fusion then using it to power your house

>> No.3524500

>>3524496

Ive heard helium is basically impossible to store. Otherwise, I would agree.

Tungsten is on its way out. Just like... everything...

>> No.3524519

I've actually bought a few ounces of gold, and many ounces of silver, back in 2008 or 2009.

When I bought them, gold was at $860 and silver was at $11. Now, gold is at like $1500 and silver is at like $30 or $40 (got as high as $50 a while back). That is a niiiice profit, especially for the silver, if i were to sell.

I'd say it's kinda like a hybrid investment/store-of-wealth, as it can work both ways. As far as what will be the highest long run profit in 15-30yrs, i really don't know. Nowadays, I wouldn't really try to invest that long-term. IMO the buy-and-hold strategy/mentality isn't going to work too well from now on.

But, gold will probably make a good rise. Silver probably will too, but i can see it fluctuating much more. Aside from being stores of wealth for money, they both do have a decent use as industrial commodity. Also, check out Palladium.

>> No.3524520

>>3524500

The phosphates are a worry, eh? I know there will *probably* be a solution, but sitting on your thumbs saying, "Oh, the chemists will figure SOMETHING out... or civilisation will collapse spectacularly" is not very appealing.

>> No.3524521

>>3524498

There was no bubble. Nothing happened to the value of gold; it was the globalization of the economy starting to pick up steam in the 80s that stimulated the value of money.

As I mentioned, you could have gambled on this short term fluctuation (and the next one that happened in 2000), but you probably would have lost without knowing when the economy would start running out of steam.

>> No.3524531

>>3524496
>hoarding helium

Can't store it; you'll lose a steady stream of it through storage vessel off-gassing.

Also it'll become pretty worthless if we ever figure out this whole fusion thing.

>> No.3524535

>>3524521
You have failed to explain why it wasnt a bubble. In your explanation also include why the price shot up quickly then suddenly crashed.

>> No.3524881
File: 9 KB, 520x352, monthly_dollar.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3524491

>while the long term trend is always upward. There has never been a gold "crash," as some more ignorant or fearmongering would-be investors might put it, in all of recorded history

Sure bro, whatever you say...