[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 72 KB, 200x200, TF2Engineer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3473766 No.3473766 [Reply] [Original]

UK student here. I withdrew from my chemistry course for a few reasons (chose a bad university, too few hours with tutors and found that my skills are more appropriate for a course heavy in maths/physics) and I want to study either physics or engineering.

I got A*A*AA at A level in physics, maths, chemistry and further maths respectively and want to decide one a course. I've got a year now to refine my physical and mathematical knowledge and though I'm good in both fields I find that I'm strongest with maths.

I don't want to study pure mathematics because I like physics but I want a maths heavy subject. Which course tends to have the most maths/strongest foundations in maths: physics or engineering?

>> No.3473776

ERECTIN A DISPENSER

>> No.3473810

Physics

>> No.3473854

Engineering is a shitton of math.
Physics, like all science is founded on math
Physics is the more balanced I would say, whereas engineering focuses on mechanics and material properties in particular.
If you're good at all round math and physics, go physics. If you prefer mechanics, go engineering.

>> No.3473903

What do you actually want to do with your degree? Do you plan on following a career in that subject or are you planning on using the degree to show mathematical knowledge so you can go into something like investment banking or accountancy?

>> No.3473999

A maths heavy subject, while integrating elements of physics and chemistry, would be electrical engineering or materials science. Take physics, chemistry, or mechanical/electrical engineering your undergrad and then go for a graduate degree in Materials Science. You won't regret it.