[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 244 KB, 768x1024, stop staring.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3461746 No.3461746 [Reply] [Original]

if you could take a drug that would put you in state of bliss that could never get boring, would you take it?

a lot of people have said no, because it's synthetic, it's "for the weak", and other things about making bliss with work etc.

only someone who believes in dualism and magical spirits would say this, if someone believes the purpose of life is to find happiness, why would it matter if it's artificial?

>> No.3461757

>>3461746

because some people have more interests in life than just experiencing pleasure.

>> No.3461762

>>3461757

okay then, whatever interest you're talking about, the effect of said interest is created artificially.

>> No.3461769

>>3461762
does it have any side effects?
does it render me incapeable of functioning in society?
is it addictive?
will it leave me looking like a heroin addict?

>> No.3461776

yes I would take it.

>> No.3461778 [DELETED] 

>if you could take a drug that would put you in state of bliss that could never get boring, would you take it?

Of course, but no such thing exists or will ever exists.

>> No.3461787

>>3461746
Why don't you just kill yourself? No I'm serious, just OD on morphine, i hear you'll have artificial happiness then die. What's the difference between that and your synthetic drug. One lasts longer? So what, nothing else happened in your extended existence anyway on that drug.

>> No.3461798

>>3461769

no, it's exactly the same as if you'd have created the effect naturally.

these are unimportant details, the question is about whether something artificial can replace the real thing.

>> No.3461799

>>3461762
>okay then, whatever interest you're talking about, the effect of said interest is created artificially.

what do you mean the effect is artificial?

If I'm concerned with reducing malaria in africa, and I go out and cure it, and people get better. What is artificial?

>> No.3461807

No, I would not.

Self-actualization is more than a mental state of bliss. It also involves self-determination.

Basically, I don't want to become an endlessly masturbating vegetable, as many people did in Simon Funk's "After Life".
http://sifter.org/~simon/AfterLife/

Great story about the implications of mind uploading.

>> No.3461810

>>3461746

pleasure bores me, so by definition your drug is shit tier.

>> No.3461823

>>3461807

Pretty much this. There's a lot to be said for satisfaction and the knowledge of great accomplishments, and the meaning you get from pursuing things.

Chemical bliss is for people who haven't gotten past the idea of utopia-as-leisure

>> No.3461836

>>3461746
Who says my goals are to be happy?

Making others miserable is so much more rewarding.
Plus, life without hatred just isn't the same...

tldr; fuck off bio-abolitionist.

>> No.3461840

All the objections to the drug can be easily overcome by simply saying 'the drug rectifies that problem'.

If you think drugs are too artificial - take a drug which makes you think you're leading the most natural life possible, or one that simply makes you stop caring about such silly things as artifice vs nature.

If you think the drug would be boring - you didn't read the question.

If you think you'd need something more - take a drug which constantly gives you the sensation of always being excited and having new experiences.

You don't have to know you're on the drug, it is just like a hypothetical reality.

>> No.3461841

>>3461836
Well, let's just say that if push came to shove we would have to kill each other.

>> No.3461849

Fuck philosophy, but why the he'll does it matter if it's artificial

>> No.3461865
File: 54 KB, 163x210, 1304020098794.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP's picture gives me eternal bliss

>> No.3461868

I'm suicidal, but I'm a pathetic coward and can't actually harm myself.
So YES.

>> No.3461869

>>3461746

There are many different kinds of pleasure and as a devout hedonist I really ought not limit myself to some dubious wonder drug that gives me "bliss."

>> No.3461872 [DELETED] 

>>3461836
fuck off edgy teenager

>> No.3461885

>>3461840

The only way you'd do this for me is if the drug mirrored real life only had me be some kind of superstar.

This isn't really drugs now, this is a 'matrix' or dream world scenario.

>> No.3461887

i used to always be in a state of bliss. i was focused and had an overriding goal that was larger than myself.

my ego fell apart when i discovered what achieving this goal meant for my life.

fuck.

gimmie a hit.

captcha: efficient ientsn

>> No.3461920

>>3461807
>Basically, I don't want to become an endlessly masturbating vegetable, as many people did in Simon Funk's "After Life".
sifter.org/~simon/AfterLife/

Love that story.

>> No.3461956

>>3461840

That can't counter the objection that nothing actually gets done.

If you are concerned about poverty, aids, or developing real, or taking care of your wife, family, kids, etc...the drug can't do any of that.

If it is forced on you by some 3rd party and injected into you, then it might be able to pacify you and turn you to a pleasure vegetable. But a scientist interested in doing ANYTHING, wouldn't take the drug at all.

Only someone who's interested in selfish vegetative pleasure would take it.

YOu can't counter this argument.

>> No.3461961

>only someone who believes in dualism and magical spirits would say this, if someone believes the purpose of life is to find happiness, why would it matter if it's artificial?

False dichotomy is false.

>> No.3461964
File: 36 KB, 500x575, 12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You mean like Soma (Brave New World)?

If it doesn't have overwhelmingly negative side effects, I'd try it.

>> No.3462134

>>3461887

Do elaborate on that goal of yours.

>> No.3462454

>>3461836

I wasn't going to bump this thread but you're basically a fucking moron.

You realize anything you want to achieve is called happiness? If you want to murder other people, and you do that, it makes you happy. If you want to get depressed and fuck up your life, and you achieve that, you've fulfilled your goal and are therefore happy.

Fucking moron another namefago to block.