[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 36 KB, 360x240, fluoride_yournotgoingtopoison[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3428197 No.3428197 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/,
So I've read a bunch of articles about water fuoridation being bad and the seem to make sense. But, since I'm a layman and could be wrong what do you have to say?
(Note: not everyone who questions mainstream opinions is a troll, I'm simply asking)
>yl;dr: water fuoridation: good or bad?

>> No.3428204

10 billion dollars have been saved in dental bills since we started doing it. Strangely our tin foil sales have been up recently too.

Also since it hasn't been said here in a while: WAKE UP SHEEPLE

>> No.3428207

>yl;dr
really?

>> No.3428223

Good, the stuff you read is a bunch of crap.

http://www.skepticnorth.com/2010/10/fluoridiated-water-debate-returns-nothing-new-is-said/

>> No.3428227

>>3428204
Those savings have absolutely NOTHING to do with proper oral hygiene, or anything, right?

Fluoride is nasty shit. It's illegal to put it in water in some other first world nations.

>> No.3428238

All the evidence points to it being harmless at the levels in fluoridated municipal water, and it dramatically decreases tooth decay at insignificant cost. From a pragmatic standpoint, it's definitely good.

>> No.3428241

>>3428227
No, fluoride was introduced fairly recently. It's not like people didn't know what a toothbrush was before.

>> No.3428249

>>3428227
>Those savings have absolutely NOTHING to do with proper oral hygiene, or anything, right?
>implying other variables weren't taken into account

>> No.3428256

Thank God the UK doesn't poison its residents with flouride.

I know one place I won't be going on holiday this year.

>> No.3428257

>>3428241
It was starting to be added to public water in the 1940's. People have gotten better at brushing since then.

>> No.3428266

Hypothetically, fluoride could poison people in large enough amounts. I don't know what the concentrations are, so I can't really say whether or not they pose a poisoning danger.

What I do know is that fluoride makes your teeth more brittle, and my dentist told me to stop using toothpaste and mouthwashes that contained it because it was causing tiny chips on my enamel.

My understanding is that the reason they put it in there is to promote tooth health. But in light of what my dentist said and my own reading, I'm going to say 'mildly bad'. I also think that putting things in peoples' water like that is contrary to liberty, since we should have self-determination about what medicines we use.

>> No.3428268

>>3428249
Yeah I'm calling bullshit on the study.

Green-text some more.

>> No.3428273

>>3428257
People also now consume sugar at a record rate...we can sit here throwing out random facts or we can trust that the people paid to do these studies already took into account these trivial and obvious differences.

>> No.3428276
File: 2.88 MB, 5000x5000, 1305974699030.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3428266

Mad props to you son

>> No.3428296

>>3428266
>I also think that putting things in peoples' water like that is contrary to liberty

And it begins

>> No.3428315

>>3428256
Whut? Yes we do fluoridate the water, because doing otherwise would be fucking retarded.

As an aside, one of my lecturers told me a tale of his children's upbringing. He lives in a semi-remote location and their water supply is a nearby spring. Obviously it isn't fluoridated. His early children, having grown up in the city before they moved did not experience significant tooth problems. But his youngest two children were born into life in their current locations. And both experienced such bad tooth decay that they needed fillings even in infant teeth. Only after many consultations with his dentist did it come up that his children did not drink fluoridated water, and this could be responsible. Now he has his children drink water with a fluorine supplement each day.

The fact is that water fluoridation is majorly responsible for the dental health of developed nations, more so than many people realize. It is comparable to vaccination, in fact, because people will often say "oh dental health is just fine, so we don't need it" (cf "nobody gets rubella these days, so why be vaccinated?") when it is the continued application of both that is responsible for these outcomes.

>> No.3428320

>>3428268
>Yeah I'm calling bullshit on the study.

Why?

>Green-text some more.

Ok.

>implying fluoridation started everywhere at once

http://cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5014a1.htm

>Initial studies of community water fluoridation demonstrated that reductions in childhood dental caries attributable to fluoridation were approximately 50%--60% (94--97). More recent estimates are lower --- 18%--40% (98,99). This decrease in attributable benefit is likely caused by the increasing use of fluoride from other sources, with the widespread use of fluoride toothpaste probably the most important.

This means that the decrease in cavities is 50-60% for people with inferior dental hygiene, but the difference is smaller now (18-40%) because people generally have better hygiene. In other words, of course they fucking took that into account.

>> No.3428325

I'm almost afraid to ask, but:

For those of you who don't think it's good for you, why do you think it's done?

>> No.3428327

>>3428320
Holy fuck someone actually read their source. Don't you know the procedure on /sci/ is just to google what you want to say and post anything that seems legit. This is of course after all your anecdotal evidence has already been given

>> No.3428349

>>3428204
>WAKE UP SHEEPLE
stopped reading right there, you sir are and retard

>> No.3428351

>>3428266
> I also think that putting things in peoples' water like that is contrary to liberty, since we should have self-determination about what medicines we use.

So you're legally forced to drink unfiltered tap water, now?

>> No.3428352

>>3428325
I just hope they don't fluorude orange juice.
;)

>> No.3428355

>>3428349
stopped reading at the end?

>> No.3428360

>>3428349
>stopped reading right there
I'm pretty sure that's where everyone stopped reading.

>> No.3428361

>>3428325
Misguided sentiment / malice to deceive the misguided. Ultimately Fluoride has a calming de-agressive effect making it easier to control the populous. It was used on the Jews during world war 2 as well.

What we know for fact, Fluoride is a toxic poison, where sodium fluoride is a byproduct of aluminum manufacturing that costs a lot of money to properly dispose of. Need I say more.

>> No.3428366

Topical administration of fluoride is just as effective as system administration.

We know fluoride calcifies that one part of the brain where there's a lot of melatonin and choline receptors, though they're not linking it to any concrete disorders.

I say water fluoridation is ass backwards, as there's no alternative except paying for water when we know it can alter hormonal functions and degrade teeth, as well as causing severe stomach acid problems in susceptible people. We could just subsidize fluoride mouthwash.

Sure, some people will argue "well some people won't use it". Well let them not use it. We don't put toxic stuff in things we don't want adults to do, and we don't subsidize things we do want them to do like exercise (though we do subsidize education). I believe since a child cannot consent because they're too dumb to understand the implications of chronic fluoride intake, that fluoride should only be permitted by 13 or 18+, something like that.

>> No.3428369

>>3428361
>Fluoride has a calming de-agressive effect making it easier to control the populous

Really? I read a report a few years ago that stated the exact opposite; that areas with higher fluoride concentrations in the water were crime hotspots.

>> No.3428383

The logic behind fluoridating the water is because some people cannot afford toothpaste and just brush with water.

I propose adding soap to our water for people who cannot afford soap. This would save me a few seconds each time I go to wash my hands, same thing.

>> No.3428391

>>3428266
As this man said, fluorapatite is harder, but more brittle, than hydroapatite. (Hydro-apatite is what your bones are normally made of. When you add fluorine, the fluorine replaces the OH and your bone structure becomes stronger, but more susceptible to chipping.) In other words, you'll have less cavities, but more broken arms and legs.
You can't get fluoride poisoning from the concentrations used in water, but in the opinion of some the harm outweighs the benefit.

>> No.3428395

>>3428351

In effect, I have no choice. Even with a water filter, fluoride is still going to be in there. And bottled water is basically just tap water.

It's not a big deal, really. I just hate it when people make decisions for everyone and no one asks my permission.

>> No.3428410

>>3428395
>It's not a big deal, really. I just hate it when people make decisions for everyone and no one asks my permission.

How is that different than anything else any level of government does? How is simply having a municipal water supply not also such a decision (and a much bigger one at that)?

>> No.3428417

>>3428383

Adding soap to tap water would make it less useful. Adding tiny quantities of fluoride to it makes it more useful. That's the difference.

>> No.3428418

>>3428391
>but more broken arms and legs

[citation needed]

>> No.3428422

>>3428410
He didn't mention that he doesn't like things which go against his permission and are mandatory. Like would you be in favor of a phone system where every call is monitored and you had to pay? What about a tv system where all broadcasts had to be government approved with you footing the bill?

This is the same case, although fluoride does have a beneficial effect on some population, it will have a detrimental effect on another - and not just like a 4% tax increase, it will actually harm their body, using a service that we consider essential to a modern society (running water).

>> No.3428425

we should all just get caps and be done with this tooth business.

>> No.3428426

>>3428361
>What we know for fact, Fluoride is a toxic poison

EVERYTHING is a "toxic poison" at high enough concentration, including everything you need to survive (including water itself!). The concentration of fluoride in tap water is well, well below toxic levels.

>> No.3428441

>>3428410

Welcome to the discontent of the Anarchist.

>> No.3428453

>>3428422

I don't understand what you're saying. What's mandatory?

Or let me put it this way. The municipal government pipes water into your house. They don't ask your permission to do so. How is that different?

>> No.3428456

>>3428418
I'm not citing from an article. Everything I am telling is from my own knowledge. It is widely known that fluorapatite is more brittle than hydroapatite, and therefore one can logically assume that it will break more often. Of course, water fluoridation also would be a relatively minor thing compared to increases in participation in dangerous sports, and things like that, so even if I did have citations comparing things like states with fluoridation vs. without, the chances are that no obvious correlation would be present.

>> No.3428460

>>3428441
>Welcome to the discontent of the Anarchist.

I would bet that only a very tiny percentage of anti-fluoridation advocates are anarchists opposed to the very idea of a municipal water supply.

>> No.3428470

Glad my town banned fluoride. Its so called "positive" effects are dubious at best. If you guys really want to use fluoride, it's in the toothpaste already. There is really no need to put it in the water.

>> No.3428471

>>3428453
They add something to your water which would cost money to remove or bypass, despite arguing that water is something we should fundamentally have.

What if when you walked into a government subsidized hospital the first thing they did, by law, was give you aspirin or tylenol, a glass of water, and told you to take a seat, and you couldn't legally say no without going to a private hospital? We know aspirin will make certain disorders worse, but they force it anyway because it would effectively reduce the amount of burden on the hospital (placebo effect, pain relief, etc). In this case however, hospitals are optional. Fluids are not optional.

>> No.3428474

>>3428456
>I'm not citing from an article. Everything I am telling is from my own knowledge

There is a reason scientists have to do experiments. That is not knowledge, but speculation. Surely if using fluoridation has some measurable effect on the brittleness of bones, it shouldn't be hard to find a reputable study showing it.

>> No.3428479

>>3428426

Peralcusus I believe

>> No.3428482
File: 57 KB, 739x509, fluoride-warning.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3428197

>> No.3428484

>>3428471

You still haven't said why that's different than getting water in the first place. You DON'T have to use municipal water. It's just very convenient. Offering to sell you water is not a violation of liberty, but offering to sell you water with fluoride is? No.

>> No.3428491

>>3428197
Too much of anything is bad. I know fluoride can fuck up your joints seriously if you have too much.

Also I've heard that there has never been a study to measure how much introduced fluoride Americans end up drinking.

I'm not saying fluoride is a bad thing, but does it have to be in drinking water (with all of the other shit they add or don't even bother to filter out) and can't people get it some other way?

>> No.3428493

>>3428482
It's like people here have never heard of chemistry. Fluoride and sodium fluoride are like, totally different things.
It's like saying, hydrochloric acid contains hydrogen and is bad for you, water also contains hydrogen, and thus must be bad for you as well.

>> No.3428505

>>3428484
>finds a science in which we can go further or
The government doesn't ask. They take the money out of my taxes, then tell me if I don't want it, I have to pay FURTHER to have something they consider essential.

On the subject of cost, it's much more effective to have the people who WANT it have to BUY it, rather than forcing the rest of us to pay for it so they can have it cheaper. Fluoride is in no way essential to the human body. Even the ADA said that topical administration is as effective as systemic administration. The only argument for fluoridating water is that people are too dumb to brush their kids teeth, or too dumb to think having fluoride on your teeth is a bad idea.

The problem is it's not given out just for teeth, the fluoride penetrates your whole body, and there have been no reliable studies over 40+ years showing that it doesn't cause systemic modulation. Even the very few that do (and rather unscientifically), only in the past 20 years have we even been able to come close in determining how hormones, neurology, psychiatry etc are responsive to environmental factors. All the science before that is purely speculative non-science.

>> No.3428509

>>3428505
>Offering to sell you water is not a violation of liberty, but offering to sell you water with fluoride is?
Sorry, wrong c+p

>> No.3428512

>>3428470
>Its so called "positive" effects are dubious at best.

Not really. It demonstrably decreases tooth decay by about 50-60% if it's your only source of fluoride, and about 20-40% if you already use fluoride toothpaste. That's a pretty concrete "positive" effect.

>> No.3428514

>>3428479
>Peralcusus I believe

What?

>> No.3428528

>>3428482
You realise a concentrated compoud is nothing like a diluted element, right?
Alcohol is a poison, people frequently ingest it. It's diluted, so it isn't as dangerous
Botox is one of the strongest poisons known to man, it's used medically. It's diluted, so it isn't as dangerous.

>> No.3428531

>>3428505
>The government doesn't ask. They take the money out of my taxes, then tell me if I don't want it, I have to pay FURTHER to have something they consider essential.

Once more: how is that different than anything else the government does? (And in any case, you probably pay for it in your water bill, not with taxes.)

>On the subject of cost, it's much more effective to have the people who WANT it have to BUY it, rather than forcing the rest of us to pay for it so they can have it cheaper.

I doubt that very much, since fluoridation of water costs about $1 per year per person.

>Fluoride is in no way essential to the human body.

No, but it is beneficial, according to the best information we have.

>> No.3428557

>>3428531
1)It's different because fluoride is in no way essential, and it IS known in more recent studies that it can effect brain development, it is known to alter hormones in "sufficient" quantities, and AFAIK, there haven't been controlled studies on administering fluoride to infants. Besides all this, many of the studies were done using Sodium Metabisulfite, a compound which in numerous studies is substantial safer for at least stomach issues, while still being 100% effective for teeth enhancement.

2) There's not really an argument there, financial incentives only come into play on expensive things. Though we still do subsidize the disposal of Sodium Fluoride, which we otherwise be expensive to get rid of.

3) Although it may be beneficial, there has not been significant testing to determine long-term safety. We know certain medicines may be safe until you're pregnant. Or until you reach a certain development stage. Or any number of scenarios. Has fluoridation been tested in individuals who take supplements? In individuals who are substantially overweight? (studies from 50 years ago won't have 300lb people).

Why don't we put other things in the water, like 2-5mg/liter of ritalin. It would be beneficial, cheap, and hasn't been shown to be harmful. Would you be against that?

>> No.3428565

>>3428557
>It's different because fluoride is in no way essential

Neither is tap water. What's your point?

>> No.3428566

>>3428557
>Why don't we put other things in the water, like 2-5mg/liter of ritalin. It would be beneficial
I don't think so.

>> No.3428568

mah water has h2o in it, halp
dah gobernarament is taking away mah freedome

>> No.3428573

>>3428565
There are people who are too poor to afford water. Such as ME. Should they be forced to drink water which has been infused with a substance not known to be safe over the long-term?

>> No.3428575
File: 58 KB, 286x287, 1310174747755.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hey guys listen i have an idea.
so...
what if we found a poison that also as beneficial side effects ad hide the fact that it is a poison?
Then use it to poison the goyim.

>> No.3428577

>>3428573
>Should they be forced to drink water which has been infused with a substance not known to be safe over the long-term?
You're not accurately assessing known risks and benefits. It is known to be sufficiently low-risk and high-benefit to justify its inclusion. NOT including it would be a net loss to the well-being of the people.

>> No.3428581

>>3428566
Ritalin is known to enhance learning, focus, calmness, prevent brain abnormalities which develop (in theory) from disorders of sufficient dopamine or cognitive stimulation.

Not to mention it's known being more intelligent reduces the risk of injury, disease, poverty, as well as enhancing the probability of someone exercising, performing a job correctly and timely, and doing well in school.

>> No.3428589

>>3428581
Ritalin does not have beneficial effects in those without ADD or ADHD. Stop pretending that everyone is ADD.

>> No.3428590

ITT: we think that fluoride is a poison in low concentrations

Jesus guys, don't you know that poisons in low concentrations become beneficial by the like cures like principle? It's like none of you studied homeopathy at school!

>> No.3428593

http://www.fluoridealert.org/carlsson-interview.html

Though this is incredibly biased (the website, not the scientist).

>> No.3428594

>>3428577
We only built the tools required to assess it's long term safety in the past 20 years (brain scanners, hormone analyzers, etc)

As for it's benefits, why doesn't toothpaste with fluoride suffice? It's already in EVERY SINGLE toothpaste except for the more expensive ones. The only argument for fluoridating water is people are too retarded to brush their teeth. Why doesn't the government create a healthful toothpaste instead of mandating everyone who has water has to have fluoride?

>> No.3428595

>>3428573
only it is and you're oblivious as to the evidence against that position.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20858781

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18515990

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8588612

>> No.3428599

>>3428594
The degree to which the government should take actions to ensure your well-being is a matter of debate. At least we agree that fluoride is beneficial in these doses.

>> No.3428605

>>3428589
Except that is false. Why the FUCK do you think normal people take it to study? Apparently ADHD is a normal consequence of being in school now.

>> No.3428614

>>3428605
If Ritalin is over of significant and consistent benefit with low risk, then it should be in the water.

I just don't think that's the case. A similar cost/benefit applies to mandatory vaccination for schoolchildren - in that one, the benefits far outweigh the risks. Are you against mandatory vaccination?

>> No.3428615

>>3428595
1) BONE DENSITY. Absolutely no measurement on development, brain structure, anything else.

2) Bone density again. Are you even trying?

3) Effect of drinking water fluoridation on hearing of patients with otosclerosis in a low fluoride area: a follow-up study.

Wow, conclusive proof fluoride has no long-term effects.

>> No.3428617

>>3428614
I am not against mandatory vaccinations because they have been proven to be safe over the long term, even if they weren't, they are administered ONCE. If instead of having a single vaccine, they put a digestible vaccine into the water, would you be for it?

>> No.3428621

>>3428197
>tl;dr: water fuoridation: good or bad?

Honestly it's neither. The risk of flouridosis is small, but the benefit to tooth health is also small.

What I will say is that flouridation of water is an unnecessary expense.

>> No.3428622

>>3428615
Are you aware of evidence there IS long-term damage? Because its long history of use without significant incident is evidence in favor of its safety.

>> No.3428627

>>3428615
Why the shitting dick nipples do you think it would have effects on those?
There's no evidence whatsoever it's bad for you, anecdotal or otherwise. Societies with Fluoridated water have lower rates of tooth decay, infection from water, and infant mortality.

>> No.3428636

>>3428622
http://www.newjerseywatereducation.com/pdfs/Excitotoxicity.pdf

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=fluoride+oxidative+stress&btnG=Search&as_sdt=0
%2C33&as_ylo=&as_vis=0

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=fluoride+hormone&btnG=Search&as_sdt=0%2C33&amp
;as_ylo=&as_vis=0

>> No.3428639

>>3428512
I've seen studies show there is no difference between municipalities whether they fluoridate or not. So, the jury is still out among the scientific community. And to be quite honest, there are so many possible down sides to fluoride like lower IQ, bone cancer and other internal problems, that it's simply retarded to force onto people. If people want fluoride they can take it themselves.

>> No.3428648

>>3428627
And societies that circumcise have less penile cancer, more nuclear bombs, and more teeth than non-circumcised countries.

>> No.3428650

>>3428573

Again, "forced."

Scenario A: municipal government sells you water, treated with various chemicals.
Scenario B: municipal government sells you water, treated with the same chemicals, plus flouride.

If one is not anti-freedom, then the other is not either.

If you are going to debate the benefits of flouride, fine, but stop trying to pretend it's some special case of "forcing" you to do something.

>> No.3428651

>>3428617
If it is equally safe AND effective? Yes. Easier for everyone. But the nature of vaccines doesn't make that possibility likely.

>> No.3428653

>>3428627
reading it quickly i thought u provided a riddle
Why the sitting duck ripples

>> No.3428654

bad, absolutely terrible.

>> No.3428658

>>3428636
>http://www.newjerseywatereducation.com/pdfs/Excitotoxicity.pdf
>single author
>member of a nutritionist group
>visiting professor at a college
>on an anti-fluoridation site

>http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=fluoride+oxidative+stress&btnG=Search&as_s
dt=0
%2C33&as_ylo=&as_vis=0
>not long term

>http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=fluoride+hormone&btnG=Search&as_sdt=0%2C33
&
;as_ylo=&as_vis=0
>not long term
>not supporting your point

>> No.3428659

>>3428648
more teeth?
you meant more protruding teeth, right?

>> No.3428663

>>3428654
>bad, absolutely terrible.

This thread? Meh, at least it's not about religion or college majors.

>> No.3428667

>>3428659
Probably more surviving teeth.

>> No.3428673

there are tons of different types of 'fluoride'
most conspiracy theories about it come from idiots who got the wrong chemical
some are poisonous, some are not
my mother's workplace (dentistry) used to keep gallons of the shit they put into the water, it's harmless

>> No.3428676

>>3428648
[citation needed] on the first and the last.
America has worse teeth than the UK and most of europe.

>> No.3428679

Ok, let's summarize the facts:

- Fluoride is a poison (Natriumfluoride is used for killing rats and insects)
- Fluoride is the main ingredient of about 50 neuro-drugs, including Rohypnol
- Fluoride in excess can cause brittle teeth and bone deformations
- Fluoride has a sedative effect on the brain
- The benefit on teeth health is debated. It is not sure if it really helps against tooth decay. There a studies pro and con.

Pro:
- We have a dump for aluminium industry waste

Now, why would I rub that stuff into my gums every day? I don't rub bromine or uranium into my gums either, just to kill mouth bacteria. I still remember that not too long ago, dentists used to put fucking mercury into our fillings. MERCURY! Wake up sheep, fluoride is just the same thing. Dentistry is just fucking stupid.

>> No.3428683

>>3428679
see
>>3428673

>> No.3428686

>>3428658
>oxidative stress has no long-term damage
Are you retarded or hallucinatory or what? Melatonin also regulates sleep patterns, so yeah, decreasing melatonin changes the sleep cycle of the organism.

>fluoride alters receptor sites that we've never verified to be safe
>it must be safe
>fluoride can alter long term thyroid function
>it must be safe because it doesn't happen short term nor has the AMA/ADA/government, but other people have, but they must be liars

>> No.3428703

>>3428676
Uh, penile cancer is the primary reason (besides prejudice) that they perform circumcisions. After it was found it doesn't cure sexuality, insanity, urinary tract infection, doesn't make your penis bigger, and results in more HIV/AIDS, that is what they cling to.

And as for teeth, just look at African or South American tribal cultures, they have far less.

>> No.3428704

>>3428686
see
>>3428673
this is an easy thread

>> No.3428708

>>3428679
>>3428679
>implying you don't ingest and inhale mercury every day anyways.

>> No.3428712

>>3428703
> circumcision
>prejudice
You're getting your buzzwords mixed up, son.

>> No.3428725

>>3428703
hint: he wa talking about jews
hint: jews circumcise cause most of them are followers of judaism.

>> No.3428728

>>3428708
Well, there are harms in nature that you can't avoid.
Still no reason to increase the danger by putting mercury into my mouth.
Otherwise we'd all have plutionium fillings cause they keep your mouth so nicely anti-bacterial.

>> No.3428731

>>3428679
-Everything is a poison
-Glucose is the main ingredient of about 25,000 neuro-drugs, including ritalin
-Fluoride isn't in excess
-not effectively and not in low doses
-The benefit on teeth is widely accepted.
-the fluorine added to water is a different compound to the byproduct, IIRC
>>3428686
Anti-Oxidants are widely available, and are in most foodstuffs. Oxidative stress isn't a problem unless you live off of grain and water.

>fluoride is a thing
but mainly
>Fluorine has been shown to be more beneficial than damaging to health over the long term
>water can alter long term thyroid function
>it must be unsafe because the independent regulator says it is but this website with no peer reviewed papers on it says it isn't

>> No.3428732

>>3428725
>most of them (jews) are followers of judaism
>most jews are followers of judaism (jews)
>most jews are jews
>some jews aren't jews
>WHAT THE FUCK SON ARE YOU HIGH?

>> No.3428735
File: 82 KB, 864x403, SANY0015.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3428728

>> No.3428737

>>3428728
>Otherwise we'd all have plutionium fillings cause they keep your mouth so nicely anti-bacterial

I imagine that would just make your mouth bacteria more interesting.

>> No.3428757

>>3428731
>more beneficial than damaging
No. Not it hasn't. ANY papers which have shown long-term impairment have been denied flat out. Any potential damage is weighed for the individual. Which would I choose, healthier teeth or a 5 point IQ drop? When does it become OK to tell someone something is safe when it alters bodily functions in a deleterious manner?

>anti-oxidants are widely available
Except we don't put them in our water supply, instead we put them an oxidant in our water supply and say "hope for the best".

Except water HAS been shown to be beneficial and not destructive to the thyroid. Christ are you that dumb.

>> No.3428761
File: 34 KB, 415x351, what.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3428482

> wat

>> No.3428787

>>3428728
which is the greater risk do you think, mercury fillings or a good maxillary abscess?

>> No.3428795

Ever wonder why almost every "industrialized" nation puts flouride intentionally into the water?

Sodium Fluoride is what they put in the water.

It started when a city was discovered to have a very low occurrence of dental cavities per capita. They investigated and found that the water contained a naturally occurring plethora of Calcium Fluoride. Hence, the rumor was started that "Fluoride" is good for your teeth.

During WWII, aluminum manufacturing skyrocketed, and there was an issue with what to do with the waste by-product of the aluminum creation. Namely, Sodium Fluoride.

By abbreviating the scientific study of Calcium Fluoride to simply "Fluoride", the Powers That Be were able to delude people into thinking that any type of Fluoride was good for teeth, and could therefore be added to the drinking water in order to give everybody healthy teeth. Hence, a dump for all the aluminum by-product waste was found!

>> No.3428802

>>3428757
>ANY papers which have shown long-term impairment have been denied flat out.
ANY photos which have shown long noodly appendages are also denied flat out. You are suggesting widespread corruption in the medical community, which is complete bullshit. http://www.health.gov/environment/ReviewofFluoride/default.htm
>a 5 point IQ drop?
IQ measures IQ and nothing else. Bad example, but I get your point. it would be valid IF there were evidence that fluorine compounds are detrimental to health.
>Except we don't put them in our water supply
and we don't put electrolytes in, if you drink too much you'll kill yourself.

>instead we put them an oxidant in our water supply and say "hope for the best".
Like I said, it's nigh on impossible to NOT get sufficient antioxidants with a regular diet. You don't need to provide them, like the salts, because they're widely available.

>Except water HAS been shown to be beneficial and not destructive to the thyroid.
[citation needed]

>> No.3428803

>>3428731
If everything is a poison, why don't you stop breathing? Oxygen kills you in the long term. This arguement is fucking idiotic. There's a big difference between the poison level of water and fluoride.

Uh what's that with glucose being the main ingredient of psychopharmaca? Methylphenidat doesn't sound like glucose to me.

Rubbing fluoride every day, twice or thrice into your gums (excellent portal to the blood stream) in small doses will certainly have an effect on the body. Without doubt. Btw, eating some toothpaste tubes will kill you, that's why you should never swallow toothpaste.

The benefit on teeth is highly debated. There are several modern studies that state the fluoride has almost zero benefit on tooth health.

Fluoride added to water is usually sodiumfluroide, which is otherwise used as rat-poison. Very healthy to drink every day.

>> No.3428817

>>3428795
Because normally it's oh-so difficult to get rid of byproducts which explains why there are no fly ash deposits, industrial slurry lakes or casks of anything from sulfuric acid to caesium oxide in oil drums under cities

>> No.3428827

>>3428803
ελληνας?

>> No.3428832

>>3428827
>ελληνας?
Γιατί όχι απλά ρωτήστε στα αγγλικά?

>> No.3428835

>>3428802
>health effects of fluoride
>NO RESEARCH ON MENTAL FUNCTIONING. DEVELOPMENT OF THE INDIVIDUAL OVER THE LIFETIME, NOR ENDOCRINE FUNCTION

>normal diet antioxidants
Except we don't. Otherwise there would be no evidence of oxidative stress on the large scale without people starving, and yes, we have plenty of evidence of oxidative stress and it's effect on the large scale, the best I can think of is the HPA-axis.

>thyroid
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0378427494900507

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/26/6/619.short

>> No.3428854

>>3428832
>Γιατί όχι απλά ρωτήστε στα αγγλικά?
did you just use an online tranlsator?
your sentence is fucked up.

>> No.3428859

>>3428835
You're repeatedly claiming Fluorine to be damaging to mental health and not providing any evidence it is.

Except we do. We know from studying antioxidant deprivation that the problem can be significantly worse, and that the situation is in general arbitrarily worse than it would be with higher antioxidant levels. I'll admit this isn't an area I'm overly experienced in, but there's no evidence whatsoever for serious adverse affects that I can find.

Neither of those papers demonstrate water to be beneficial to the thyroid. I'm going to assert that it is, until you provide evidence of fluorides damaging long term mental health and development.

>> No.3428862
File: 16 KB, 939x38, lets_have_seconds.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"So, we added this this stuff into the tapwater that in ythe concentrations we used, will be healthy for you..."
>"Bah! You're trying to poison us!!!"
>"What?! No, I said that it'll promote general heal..."
>"POISONER!! POISONERRRR!!!!"
>"Look, it's the same way as with water, if you drink too much water, you die, but you will still nee..."
>"YOU SAYING WATER IS POISONOUS??? NOW I KNOW YOU'RE A CHARLATAN!!!!!"

>> No.3428863

>>3428859
that it is damaging to the thyroid*

>> No.3428883

>>3428859
http://www.fluoridealert.org/pesticides/epa-sf/table.4.iq.behav.pdf

http://www.jbc.org/content/252/16/5677.full.pdf

http://www.fluorideresearch.org/373/files/FJ2004_v37_n3_p201-208.pdf

http://fluoride-journal.com/01-34-2/342-108.pdf

Now let's see one study that supports fluoride has no effect on mental functioning over the long term.

>> No.3428886

>>3428862
Ok, then riddle me this:
Humans have been living fine for about 2 million years by drinking water regularly and not digesting fluoride.
Then in the last 60 years we suddenly think it's a glorious idea to the latter. Which is idiotic.
Unlike water, you don't need fluoride in your body.

>> No.3428898

While it is common knowledge that Flouride reduces cavities, most people don't know why.

Dentin, dental enamel, and 50% or so of bone is made up of a mineral called hydroxyapatite Ca5(PO4)3(OH) (sorry about the subscripts. Not sure how to do them here). Over time, the acids produced by dental plaque leach the OH group from the hydroxapatite, leaving it demineralized.

Saliva obviously contains OH ions and these will slowly remineralize the apatite into hydroxyapatite. Fluoride (as well as chloride, and bromide) will also readily take the OH's spot, forming fluoroapatite. Fluoroapatite is much harder and resistant to acids than hydroxapatite. Some of the structure continues to contain hydroxyapatite, retaining the white color, but an excess of fluoroapatite can discolor the teeth from their original white and make them relatively brittle.

Fluoride has next to no positive dental effect taken internally. This means that unless you are constantly holding fluoridated water in your mouth, you will gain little dental benefit. The best supported way of dental fluoridation treatment is fluoridated toothpastes, mouthwashes, and fluoride treatment at dental exams.

>> No.3428911

>>3428886
>he thinks there isn't naturally occurring fluoride in water
Someone doesn't know their shit.

>> No.3428927

>>3428886
That is because Water contains OH ions which remineralize hydroxyapatite. Fluoride takes the place of the OH ions creating a stronger tooth surface.

lrn2wiki

>> No.3428941
File: 133 KB, 550x500, picard gtfo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3428886
And really, did you just start talking on a board called /sci/ and think you don't have to have anything but a gut feeling about the subject matter?

>> No.3428942

>>3428911

CaF2, not NaF

>> No.3428946

>>3428927
I read a new study that came to the conclusion that fluroide toothpaste will only have a small effect on the surface of enamel. It does not penetrate deeply into the tooth.

>>3428911
Yeah there are some regions where there is naturally fluoride in the water. I wouldn't want to live there cause people tend to get sick and brittle teeth.

>> No.3428968

>>3428946
not in areas with levels like those added to water.
>>3428942
Calcium Fluoride is *added* to aluminium.

>> No.3428972

>>3428946
>I read a new study...

these words should always be accompanied by a link.

you may have read such a study
you may have misread such a study
you may have read a crappy study

we don't know until we read it though, do we?

>> No.3428976

It's on the NIH's list of ten greatest public health achievements, with seat belts and vaccines. Fluoridation is god-tier.

>> No.3428978

>>3428976
BUT ATS SAID IT WAS BAD

>> No.3428980

>>3428946
>I read a new study that came to the conclusion that fluroide toothpaste will only have a small effect on the surface of enamel. It does not penetrate deeply into the tooth.

The surface of the tooth is typically where the bacteria originate, grow, and dissolve tooth enamel, permitting bacteria entrance into the inner portions of the tooth.

>> No.3428988

> fluoride is better for your health over the long-term
a.) Fluoride is ambiguous
b.) Health is ambiguous
c.) Poison is a matter of dosage and the dosage is ambiguous

In general, this argument is fucked up.

>> No.3428993

>>3428988
Fluorine compounds added to water supplies
Dental and skeletal health
<1mg/L

>> No.3429018

1. long term research has shown flouride to benefit dental and bone health.

2. there is such a thing as flouride deficiency.

3. green tea naturally contains far more flouride ( http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA22857 ) than what is added to municipal water. the billions of azns drinking it everyday don't seem to be having any serious widespread health problems that would be associated with hyperflouridosis. why? because a little thing called your liver excretes most of it.

almost made me sage

>> No.3429033

>>3429018
>green tea naturally contains fluoride
>no citation given

>> No.3429045
File: 10 KB, 429x410, 1310352075577.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3429033
durrrrrr

the big fucking link in your face right there

here's a study, too:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749198001870

>> No.3429047

>>3429045
New poster
I'm sorry /sci/ are so retarded.

>> No.3429062 [DELETED] 

>>3429033
>mfw the link was in the post
>mfw you are completely retarded
>mfw I have no face

>> No.3429067 [DELETED] 

>>3429045
Actually click the link nigger. There's no citation of his position on the entire page. Fucking look at it.

Also, your second study is a study that shows fluoride in teas. However it doesn't show fluoride being drunk by infants, children, etc, as well as people consuming it in uh, 1.7-4.8 liters per day.

>> No.3429071

>>3429067
The first link is from a fucking doctor
He never mentioned anything about children, you cretinous wench.

>> No.3429074

>>3429071
THE DOCTOR NEVER CITES ANYTHING THAT SHOWS THERE IS FLUORIDE IN TEAS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

>> No.3429078
File: 24 KB, 322x239, tinfoilhat2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3429067
>Also, your second study is a study that shows fluoride in teas. However it doesn't show fluoride being drunk by infants, children, etc, as well as people consuming it in uh, 1.7-4.8 liters per day.

Red herring. I was addressing the widespread consumption of flouride in a form other than municipal water, without adverse health effects. You are taking this down another path ("drunk by infants" -- by the way, they drink milk, retard) which was not implied in my post.

>> No.3429081

>>3429074
THE DOCTOR IS IN HIMSELF EVIDENCE OF HIGHER FLUORIDE LEVELS IN GREEN TEA
WHY ARE YOU FINDING A PROBLEM WITH THIS
IT IS GENERALLY ACCEPTED THAT ALL TEA CONTAINS HIGH LEVELS OF FLUORIDES

>> No.3429086
File: 289 KB, 540x1498, significant.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Guys, this is the single most studied issue in public health. The bulk of the evidence is that fluoridation is both effective and cheap. With thousands upon thousands of published papers, of course you're going to find some that disagree. It's just a matter of statistics. The occasional paper which suggests a correlation with cancer, low IQ, or whatever has always been refuted in the long run, and the massive quantity of evidence showing that fluoridation is generally safe requires extraordinary proof to overturn it.

>>3428266
> I don't know what the concentrations are, so I can't really say whether or not they pose a poisoning danger.
Chronic ingestion (a few decades maybe) at 5 ppm can cause skeletal fluorosis. You only see this in places like India, where they're just grateful to have any potable water, and don't have the resources to control levels. In Canada, water is fluoridated at 0.7 ppm, and it may be as high as 1.0 ppm.

By comparison, if you took in 5 times as much vitamin D as the recommended allowance for a year, you'd die a horrible death. If you took in 5 times as much fluoride, you'd have a few spots on your bones.

>> No.3429090

>>3428993
>Fluorine compounds added to water supplies
The usage of the word Fluoride is ambiguous, not the it's definition i.e. anything with hydrogen is safe

>Dental and skeletal health
I would use the word strength instead of health if that's what you're actually talking about because usually people only understand the word health as it relates to organs and organisms.

><1mg/L
still ambiguous and that's thousands of times higher concentration than what is found naturally.

furthermore "long-term" is ambiguous

>> No.3429092

>>3429081
THE LINK YOU USED TO JUSTIFY HIGH FLUORIDE IN TEAS HAD NO EVIDENCE EXCEPT ARGUMENT FROM AUTHORITY.

THERE IS OTHER EVIDENCE WHICH PROVES HIS POSITION, HOWEVER HIS POSITION IS NEVER EVIDENCE OF THE OCCURENCE

THE LINK YOU PUT HAD A LOGICAL FALLACY. OTHER LINKS YOU POSTED AGREE WITH WIDESPREAD FLUORIDE CONSUMPTION, IN THAT I DO NOT ARGUE.

I ARGUE THAT IN WHICH YOU USED A FALLACIOUS ARGUMENT.

>> No.3429099

>>3429092
YOU'RE ASSUMING I'M SOMEONE I'M NOT AND DID NOT PRETEND TO BE
AS A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL HE HAS EXPERIENCE IN THE AREAS HE IS DISCUSSING
THE LINK WAS NOT FALLACIOUS AS IT WAS NOT ARGUING FROM VALID AUTHORITY. CONVERSELY, WIKIPEDIA IS ALSO SEEN AS AN AUTHORITY AND THEREFORE YOUR CITATION OF IT IS EQUALLY INVALID.

>> No.3429104

>>3429092
hey faggot, i'm the one who made the post you're referencing.

this is my rebuttal >>3429078

>> No.3429111

>>3429099
>IMPLYING WIKIPEDIA HAS AN MD IN LINGUISTICS

>> No.3429112

>>3429099
>AS IT WAS NOT ARGUING FROM VALID AUTHORITY.
THIS SHOULD READ AS IT WAS NOT ARGUING FROM AN INVALID AUTHORITY

>> No.3429115

>>3429112
>ALSO IMPLYING THAT I'M USING WIKIPEDIA TO PROVE WIKIPEDIA IS RIGHT, NOT USING WIKIPEDIA WHICH HAS MANY SOURCES TO THE CONCEPT, WHILE YOUR PAGE HAD NONE
> ME > YOU

>> No.3429117

>>3429111
The university of not giving a fuck awards wikipedia an honourary degree in everything. Nice argument from authority.

>> No.3429128

>>3429117
>HURR ARGUMENT FROM AUTHORITY IS THE ONLY VALID ARGUMENT
>BECAUSE I SAY SO

>> No.3429134

>>3429086
Actually 5 times the recommended dosage of Vitamin D will yield no effect at all. You can go with 5000 units per day without any noticeable effect.
Now, 50k units per day is another matter. This kind of thing happened in some industrial accident and it did cause problems.

>> No.3429154

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
It's "appeal to authority" not "argument from authority".

>> No.3429156

>>3429134
Over short term, no effect. Over long term, it's fat-soluble, and you can't metabolize it quickly enough to avoid toxic effects. (Note that I said recommended *allowance*, and wasn't referring to the minimum daily intake.)

>> No.3429162

>>3429154
I changed my wording in later posts.
>implying I'm wrong based on some sort of semantics fallacy

>> No.3429164

>>3428703
>Uh, penile cancer is the primary reason (besides prejudice) that they perform circumcisions
A child is more likely to die from complications of circumcision than from penile cancer.

>> No.3429170

>>3429078
>>3429078
>>3429078
>>3429078
>>3429078
still haven't addressed this, wherever you are, candy ass

>> No.3429173

>>3429156
If you go outside and get some sun, you will produce several ks of Vitamin D yourself. A few ks of Vitamin D ingested every day will have no effect, especially if you consider that most people don't go outside enough anymore.

>> No.3429178

>>3429164
Doesn't mean they won't continue using that argument, besides the "it prevents HIV/AIDS" except it cuts condom use to 1/5th while only reducing heterosexual risk by like 40%. Not mentioning the whole "cutting apart a babys dick because you claim it's a slut"

>> No.3429208

>>3429162
I wasn't talking to anybody specific or are you the only one using "argument from authority"? Also I'm not trying to poison-the-well here (pun possibly intended, see wikipedia article for further reference).

Don ye tinfoil hats and man ye sandbags!

>> No.3429237

>flouride causes the calcification of the pineal gland

>> No.3429238

>>3429208
>Don ye tinfoil hats and man ye sandbags!
I'd like to see this turn into a parody of the Apple commercials: "hi I'm a tinfoil hatter", "and I'm a sandbagger"

>> No.3429242

>>3429237
fuck that pinecone and your newage bullshit

>> No.3429259

>>3429242
i'm not saying calcification of the pineal gland is a bad thing. i don't even give a fuck and still drink tap water. and a lot of newage bullshit revolves around the pineal gland yes. but none of that matters. the fact that flouride added to tap water causes the pineal gland to calcify is indeed a fact

>> No.3429281

>>3428352
Before it was added to water supplies, my father the chemist made up a fluoride solution that mom dripped into our orange juice every morning. I got 16 cavities anyway. Why? I learned much later in life that my cavities were caused by an anatomic anomaly. My teeth had deep fissures in them between the cusps, where no brush could reach. Nowadays kids get sealers on those so those cavities don't develop. The only time my kid got a cavity was when one of the seals came off. Could the reduction in kids' cavities be the result of these sealants?

>The new research found that the fluorapatite layer formed in this way is only 6 nanometers thick. It would take almost 10,000 such layers to span the width of a human hair. That's at least 10 times thinner than previous studies indicated. The scientists question whether a layer so thin, which is quickly worn away by ordinary chewing, really can shield teeth from decay, or whether fluoride has some other unrecognized effect on tooth enamel. They are launching a new study in search of an answer.
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-03/acs-dfr030211.php

>> No.3429307

>>3429281
If you think fluoride studies on dental health haven't controlled for dental care, you're sorely mistaken.

>> No.3429385
File: 27 KB, 500x333, Reggie_s_hands_are_ready..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3428366

>We know fluoride calcifies that one part of the brain where there's a lot of melatonin and choline receptors
>>3428557
>it IS known in more recent studies that it can effect brain development, it is known to alter hormones in "sufficient" quantities, and AFAIK, there haven't been controlled studies on administering fluoride to infants
>there haven't been controlled studies on administering fluoride to infants
>administering fluoride to infants

>>3428803
>Fluoride added to water is usually sodiumfluroide, which is otherwise used as rat-poison
>rat-poison

>> No.3430268

>>3429307
Please post a reference. The german scientists in mine doubt that a 6 nanometer layer of fluorapatite could shield teeth against decay, so perhaps there is another mechanism. I'd like to read a study that controls for sealants and other forms of dental care.

When I was a boy I was yelled at because I didn't brush well enough. The dental hygienist was a brutal old bitch, gave me hell about the cavities, yet I found out later there was nothing I could have done. It was my tooth anatomy that led to the cavities. I still have a phobia about dental visits because of this. I've gotten over it to some extent; it has been more than 40 years and dentistry has advanced a bit since then.

>> No.3431897

what's so special about the pineal gland?

>> No.3431937

Shut
The
Fuck
Up
OP

>> No.3431946
File: 76 KB, 400x550, fluor1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shut
The
Fuck
OP

>> No.3431955

>>3431946
Is there a whole set of these? and if so can i have the source.

>> No.3431956

>>3431955
tits first.

>> No.3431966

>>3431956
fuck tits found it myself

>> No.3432012

>>3428886
One single question:
Is it really necessary in an actual industrialised/developed country to have Flouride in the tap water?
I mean, in the US where lots of uneducated/poor people live who may or may not know enough (or have enough money) about dental health to buy toothpaste I can sure see the point in that as it helps people in a very cheap way.

But in countries like Sweden, where the tap water is top notch and people are educated about this sort of stuff, is it really necessary there?

>> No.3432039

>>3432012
I say we start putting Viagra in the water - Everybody will be happier!

>> No.3432049

I think some people who are against fluoridation of water are mistaking it for chloridation of water.

Floridation = for teeth prevention
Chloridation = for keeping drinking water drinkable (and not crappy sewer quality shit as in UK)

>> No.3432059
File: 65 KB, 513x397, Homer pulling his head off.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>go to dentist
>"use the mouthwash with fluoride, it's better for you"
>President Sadam Heussein Obama putting fluoride in our drinking water
>both the president AND my dentist are trying to poison me!

>> No.3432122

>>3432059
Why would the president care about the tap water? Don't you have better specialists for this purpose? I doubt Obama has any idea of the medical impacts of floride.

>> No.3432135

>>3432059
don't forget the Nazis (actually came up with the idea)

>> No.3432141

>>3432059
>>3432122
>>3432135
>implying the federal government has anything to do with tap water

>> No.3432153

>>3432141
right, that means a conspiracy is more likely because we know federal conspiracies are impossible

>> No.3432167 [DELETED] 
File: 66 KB, 758x267, waitwut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3432059
>mfw this is how the thumbnail of your pic appeared to me

>> No.3432168

You don't have to drink tap water but its there if you want it.

>> No.3432267

I drink exactly one gallon of water a day, will I die because of the flouride?

>> No.3432275

>>3432167
What 4chan addon is that?

>> No.3432287

>>3432275
I have a few.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pinelipedelckihohgdlpcclgocodhjj

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cjnalefakhffmjkhijpgdhkfeadhaljd

>> No.3432294

>>3432267
>I drink exactly one gallon of water a day, will I die because of the flouride?

No. But regardless, you probably shouldn't be drinking that much water.

>> No.3432300

>>3432294
Why not? I thought that was a good amount, I also skateboard pretty frequently, and I just pour out sweat.

>> No.3432307

>>3432153
>right, that means a conspiracy is more likely because we know federal conspiracies are impossible

I don't know what this means, or if you're being sarcastic, or what.

>> No.3432931

>>3432300
Oh, then it's good for you.
But what you need is a gallon of milk a day.

or else you'll end up a super skinny faggot

>> No.3432937

>>3428256
I swear people like this

BUT ITS POISONOUS

Not in these low levels its not, its not like you're chugging a gallon of it where more than 3% is flouride

>> No.3433117

who controlls the amount of floride is aloud in your water? what if this person messes up or makes a mistake and we get to much?

>> No.3433229

>>3432307
a.) "fluoride is a conspiracy being implemented on the municipality level"
b.) "federal conspiracies are more likely than local conspiracies"
c.) "there are no such things as conspiracies" which is a fallacy

>> No.3433240

>>3433117
your red herring is only supporting tooth decay. you disgust me

>> No.3433330

From a chemistry stand point the flouride swaps out with some of the calcium in the molecules of our teeth. If everyone remembers their reactivity series then they will know that a compound with flourine arent likely to react with much unless something terribly corrosive comes along.

Ever wonder why all those indian kids on some of those slums have beautiful white teeth? It is because the water that they pump and live on their whole lives is rich in natural flouride

>> No.3434359

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4058

I really do like that show.

>> No.3434525

>>3433117
>who controlls the amount of floride is aloud in your water?

Due to the liberal activists in my area, my city issues an annual water quality report to all water users. It has statistics, data, measured items found in the water, etc. It also defines quite a few terms that people might misuse (too bad they can't do that for /d/ where too many people incorrectly say futa are males with balls and testicles or that hermaphrodites are also futa). My city water guide states that on jan 7, 2011, the US Dept of Health and Human Services and the US EPA announced a recommended lowering to a 0.7 PPM target of fluoride in drinking water. The prior approved level was a range between 0.8 to 1.3PPM. It stated that Americans are getting fluoride from a variety of sources that did not exist in the 1940s when community fluoridation first got underway. It stated scientific assessments by HHS and EPA did this to balance the benefits vs any unwanted health effects.