[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 256 KB, 800x950, 1310441499213.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3407442 No.3407442 [Reply] [Original]

Are the mind and the body separate?

I am aware of my body, and my body can act without without my mind. My mind merely inhabits my body and exhibits control over it. I am not my body.

But at the same time I cannot exist without a body, the instant my brain dies my mind dies with it, even if I could move my mind to a machine, (in which case I would gain a new body) if that dies I do to.

Not trying to be a philosophy faggot I just wanna see people's opinions, something I've been pondering on whilst taking a dump recently.

>> No.3407462

inb4 Solipsism and duality fucking everywhere

>> No.3407469

>>3407462

I second this

>> No.3407506

Self bump.

>> No.3407512

>>3407442
Also that comic pissed me right off after just one panel.

>Human race dying off...
>What about those who choose not to? Just let them die?

How would some humans choosing not to join the cyber mind cause the human race to die out? How does some others choosing to do so constitute "letting them die"? How does a war result from this? Talk about non-sequiturs.

>> No.3407528

... really? Well, define "death", I don't know how to put it; since you are a sentient being, and put importance to consciousness, your body's role is to provide nutriments and oxygen to your brain. So it isn't so much you require a "body", but you require a system that will provide your brain with oxygen and nutriments constantly. There isn't anything surprising to that, is there? It comes down to the 2nd law of thermodynamics, so yes, if you want, your brain requires a system to provide it with those things.

>> No.3407544

lrn2 philotic auia