[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 117 KB, 478x359, 1245027451919_ib4f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3378605 No.3378605 [Reply] [Original]

So /sci/ lemme ask you, what do you think the next major format for storing information will be after books?

I mean one might think digital media but people today still seem to view that as somehow less intellectual. (mostly video or audio but to some extent documents get it as well)

Will it be information which can be physically plugged into the brain matrix style? Or will it be some compressed writing format which imparts the same quantity of information at a glace?

>> No.3378614

Suppositories.

>> No.3378624

Thanks, I have that goddamn owl's music stuck in my head now.

>> No.3378645

>>3378624
Well pictures are worth more than a thousand words it seems.

>> No.3378668

the compure has become our external imagination, instead of reading books and imagining the characters, action and scenery ourselves we can now just watch the video where its all chewed up for us. this can be both good and bad, but the future (more like present) medium is obviously video.

>> No.3378674

>>3378668
omfg kill me now,
computer*

>> No.3378688

>>3378668
While that can be argued it is not widely accepted, a great documentary is considered lesser than an encyclopedia entry in many 'smarter' circles.

The consensus seeming to be that there is something about books as a medium that makes them superior to all other formats of sharing information.

>> No.3378701

>>3378688
if it is in any way superior, then it is exactly what I mentioned, the fact that you use your own brain power to "chew" the information. perhaps this etches it stronger in our brain. Also, it may just be conservatism, the "smarter circles" usually consist of old people.

as for video, it gives you multiple ways of recording information. visually (durr), audibly and even textually with subtitles, so in theory you should be able to remember it better unless you are specifcally predisposed to learning well textually in which case its redundant.

>> No.3378717

>>3378701
Reading allows you to digest information at your own speed where video does not.
Video also often provides too much extraneous information. Like if I write to you "i have a red dog with a blue collar in bad need of a nail trimming", you get my message better than a video of me walkimg said dog, where you might be distracted by the location or how I look.

Does that make sense? It sounds kind of crazy to me.

>> No.3378755

>>3378717
True to a point however all that means is that far more information can be presented at a far faster rate and as said by
>>3378701
possibly retained better overall by having multiple forms of information.

If for example you are shown a video of "a red dog with a blue collar in bad need of a nail trimming" and the narrator says "i have a red dog with a blue collar in bad need of a nail trimming" you have multiple information streams reinforcing each other.

So while a specific unmentioned detail could prove elusive in a video there is potential for better retention.

>> No.3378903

Watching a video is only helpful as a supplement in case you need to see something demonstrated. Otherwise it's too much too fast and stuff is glossed over. Also there's no glossary.

In the future you will have written word and videos. Distant future? We will genetically engineer our DNA to hold memory information as well as genetic code. Our memories will be passed on to our children. They will be able to unlock their potential once they drink the water of life. Do not let Paul drink the water of life. JESSICA YOU FOOL!

>> No.3378907
File: 32 KB, 429x322, 727838610_379442ed47.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3378903

And how can this be? For HE IS the Kwisatz Haderach!

>> No.3378918

>>3378903
>>3378907

mmmmmm Dune references yummy

>> No.3378930

>>3378903
>Also there's no glossary

A minor concern given... http://lmgtfy.com/

As for the 'pacing', that varies video to video as well as book to book.

Additionally it could be argued that a person can watch a video multiple times in the time it takes the average person to read a written information source. Thus learning via repetition is more supported by video formats than written formats.