[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 479 KB, 1684x1191, lefty righty brainy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3376002 No.3376002 [Reply] [Original]

Which major did you take?

What did the work entail and how far in university did you get (undergrad, masters, phd)?

What kind of work do you plan to do or are you doing with your degree?

How do you like it and what advice would you give to someone going into that?
(Also, I know this pic was on here a bit ago I just really liked it and thought those who havent seen it yet would enjoy it)

>> No.3376019

physics, planning on working at mcdonalds since there is nothing else physics majors can do

>> No.3376087

Commerce, majoring in Business Modelling. Finish end of this year. Wouldn't mind honours but fuck that, so very very over University.

Hopefully will get job as a business or data analyst of some form. Could also go into IT.

I loved the course content, I just got really sick of uni, was a horrible place. It's quite obvious half the lecturers are just there for research grants and are either douchebags or don't give a flying fuck about students. Don't worry though, if you're smart, after first year you'll figure out which lecturers suck dick and learn to avoid the units they teach.

Advice: Pick what you want to do. If you pick something according to what emerges as being the easiest degree in this thread, you will get bored and you will fail. Don't waste your time. If you don't know what you want to do at uni then don't fucking go.

>> No.3376169

>>3376087
I know what field I want to be in I'm just looking for ideas as to what I could do. I didn't plan on picking the easiest one either, I plan on taking courses that interest me. I'm currently considering physics undergrad and then go to grad school for a degree directed into a specific field of physics. I'm still not sure yet though. We'll see.

>> No.3376533

Right-brained person here.
BA in Japanese major. (inb4 weaboo)
2nd year into Business Econ, discovered I had zero passion for it, was taking language on the side for extra units and enjoyed it, so switched. After the 2nd year of the language it started to really get challenging, but fell in love with the history and literary culture of Japan in the process of completing courses for the major. Not a req., but did a summer exchange program in Kyoto, great experience.

Currently saving and hoping to be accepted into the MBA program for International Biz at Waseda Uni in Tokyo. From there I will try to get an internship with the US Embassy and hope to find a job with a firm. Interested in trade/diving so if I can land a job in those fields, I'd be a happy boy.

I think with the global market growing, having a foreign language under your belt is very useful. I strayed away from Business Econ after getting a lot of advice from family friends who have made a name for themselves in the business world...major does not dictate career.

>> No.3376556

>>3376533
read this guy in the first page, so going to comment anyway:

2,5 years in CS, now I`m switching to Economy, found that I have a passion and a gift for it (statistical or econometrics field.)

>> No.3376586

Right now I'm majoring in Neuroscience but I also really want to study Quantum Physics.. I could double-major in Physics/Neuroscience but I imagine that would be pointless since I can't do both in graduate school and beyond, right?

>> No.3376756

I heard that left-brain right-brain shit was pseudo science.Every single person I know exhibits traits from both sectors.

>> No.3376760

>>3376533
You can't inb4 in your own fucking post, you simpleton.
Godammit, are all weeaboos this stupid?

>> No.3376762

>>3376756
It's OBVIOUSLY pseudo-science. Any ten year-old could tell you that.

>> No.3376768

Is it wrong to think logic and math/science as artistic and beautiful?

Are they two opposites? I think not.

>> No.3376784

Can I have /sci/'s opinon? I'm goin o graduate early this year (junior) and I was wondering whether to take bioengineering or go into finance (investment banking). I'm at home in either science or business environments, but I figure I coul help scienc more if I helped the biotech companies raise capital and fund more research. Plus, there's always the $$$ factor, and I'd rather be rich than be happy at work

>> No.3376789

>>3376586
If you're still here, could you tell me where you are going for neuroscience? It's something I'm interested in.

If anyone else has a neuroscience degree, or is getting one, could they tell me where they are going to college?

>> No.3376797

>>3376784
>finance (investment banking)
good luck

>> No.3376827

>Neuroscience
>Got my BS back in May
>Trying to find work as a lab tech right now (been too lazy to apply thus far, I'm enjoying my newfound free time too much). Long term I plan to go to grad school for my PhD
>Double major in computer science and become a god among men. I really wish I had done that but only realized I should have in my last semester.

Also, your pic is bullshit OP. Right brain/left brain is a myth perpetuated by pop science.

>>3376586
Separately? No. But you can go into a combined field like electrophysiology, biophysics, or neuroprosthetics.

>> No.3376836

Mechanical Engineering with aerospace engineering minor

Finished my Bachelors and have now finished some Masters requirements.

I was good in CAD and always enjoyed designing things, and am looking towards mechatronics/robotics. Right now I am working with a buddy of mine to develop a micro aerial vehicle to bring to the market through our start-up company. I'm also about to take a job designing/refining mechatronic systems for future use in satellites and aircraft.

I like it. Mechanical engineering is a broad subject, but most people can find a niche. My advice would be "don't be afraid to explore" and don't rush through school. Also, if your campus has good resources (technology and equipment, research, etc), use it. You could miss out on a world of things. Also, don't just take courses and graduate... You should strengthen your skillset by doing things that you AREN'T required to do. This will impress employers later.

>> No.3376837

>>3376789
Guy from >>3376827 here. I went to Emory University.

>> No.3376848

>>3376827
Answer my question please.
>>3376789
Double majoring in neuroscience and computer science is my current plan. I want to work on AI and various research projects that may align with transhumanism.

>> No.3376852

Geofag here, still an undergrad.
In another better reality, I'd gladly be a volcanology or something like that, but in this one I might as well as go into the mining area and fill my pockets with some good money for once in my life.

My advice for future geofags is knowing what you're getting into. Geology is awesome but don't expect to be a groundbreaking researcher or something, because this science is sort of dead (except for a few fields). Also, the best cash does not come with the most insteresting areas of study (IMO), meaning that if you're in this course for the science, chances are your income will be a lot smaller than that of your oilfag classmates...

>> No.3376854

>>3376852
I meant volcanologist there, lol.

>> No.3376872

major: biomedical engineering

somehow i managed to quantum tunnel my way into med school, so im chilling there now. long term plans? right now im trying to decide what residency program to get in to

>> No.3376920

>>3376872
>majoring in BME
>2011

>> No.3376922

>>3376002
Is neuroscience very heavily Biology oriented? I'm in my final year (university next year) and have perfect results in Chemistry but I took Computer Studies over Biology, so I dont know if I'm eligible to pursue a similar field to you (I plan on studying Comp Sci already)

>> No.3376928

>>3376922
meant to be directed at >>3376848

>> No.3376931

Associate's degree in technical science

Welding.

>> No.3376933

>>3376922
classes you take in high school dont dictate what you're elegible for in collage as far as majors go

>> No.3376940

Computer Engineering
finishing BS
trying to figure out where I should apply to grad school and what I want to get into
i am thinking robotics or reconfigurable computing but I really don't know
im doing undergrad research in reconfigurable computing right now

>> No.3376946

>>3376922
Neuroscience is essentially half-biology, half-psychology, so yes, there's a lot of biology involved.

>> No.3376948

Electrical Engineering

BS, definitely going to go for a masters, perhaps Ph.D. Both are highly recommended.

I am currently employed by a government lab doing reverse engineering.

My interest is in high frequency design which entails power amplifiers, antennas, low noise amplifiers, vacuum tubes, transmission lines, ... etc.

It's the tits, quite interesting yet challenging. My advice is to know your math very well and to stay on top of the work.

>> No.3376950

majoring in biomedical engineering. what do i expect? how fucked is my future?

>> No.3376954

>>3376948
>I am currently employed by a government lab doing reverse engineering.
interesting. care to elaborate?

>> No.3376956

I'm going for nuclear engineering. How difficult is this going to be?

>> No.3376968

>>3376948

Electrical Engineer/fag/ (to be) here;
I'm taking Calc 3 this summer semester and honestly, your comment just inspired me to do better in this class. I go to a uni but went to a community college 15 miles from my uni to take my last Calc course and I've got a 63% average for my tests (its killing me cause of how quick paced it is). I thank you for inspiring me to do better in math since I've felt like I've lost almost all incentive to care. Can you tell me more about engineering after school so I get an image of how life is after school (don't be afraid to say how awesomely paid engie's are [no hate, I just kid, anon :D]).

>> No.3376977

>>3376968

"going to" not "went", sorry; I'm in the process of going to a comm college 15 miles away.

>> No.3376993

>>3376950
>biomedical engineering
>laughing whores

>> No.3376994

>>3376954

I get packaged parts, usually, that need to be duplicated for whatever reason. Given a certain process I figure out how the part works or what I need to replicate the functionality. I have a level secret security clearance. The job is pretty interesting and each problem is unique.

>>3376968
Yup, math is a necessary companion. My buddy got hired this year by L3 for 70k starting with a fresh BS. Work is great. Everyone already knows so much, and it's often a constant stream of knowledge. The work is challenging but you have good resources available to aid in your efforts.

>> No.3377029
File: 84 KB, 466x483, homer2ub5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3376956
haha what a faggot

>> No.3377033
File: 58 KB, 500x500, 1286911963500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3377029
What.

>> No.3377045
File: 18 KB, 249x233, 1286550439053.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3377033

>> No.3377050

>>3376994
Yeah but can you say specifically what you work on? Are you reversing enemy military technology or something?

>> No.3377085

>>3377050

The source of the material is usually beyond my clearance level. The current project I'm working on, I don't even know whose part it is, just who gave me the part and the manufacturers marking on the die. When you are looking at it though a microscope it's pretty easy to tell what company made it.

>> No.3377106

What, would you guys say, is the hardest engineering field?

>> No.3377124

Neuroscience
Learning everything about the nervous system, learning how to research the nervous system, and learning to cope with myths regarding the nervous system (hint hint OP)
I'm doing an honors UG next year and then I will try and get something lined up for grad.
Research
Since I like the reading up on countless articles about the nervous system and having physical science students not player hate on me for being a life science because "neuroscience isn't one of those life sciences dude" I enjoy it.
Prior to deciding if you want to do neuro grab a physiology textbook. If any of the other systems interest you more don't take neuro as you will be spending your time fascinating about that system oppose to the nervous system. Also if you are only interested in the motor division of the nervous system just be a kinesiologist, just be sure to go to a good school that place a large emphasis on the motor control/learning aspect of kine.

>> No.3377189

>>3377124
>he thinks brain hemispheres don't usually preform in the ways described in OP's pic.
There's a reason why 46% of US presidents since 1929 were left handed, and it's not a conspiracy.
On a side note, I'm almost bald from pulling my hair out from all the times people say neurons don't grow after childhood.

>> No.3377228

Finishing up my fourth year of grad school. getting my BS in physics.

Then i'm off to berkeley to get my PhD in astrophysics.

Hopefully i can work at a high paying research institution somewhere that offers decent weather and away from a large city.

And definitely all my work in school would apply to it

As far as advice for others. you just have to stay motivated and really understand that it's a lifestyle and not just a career

>> No.3377244

> Double major in Mathematics and Computer science

I am currently working on my PhD in computer science.

I plan to stay involved in research, for whoever I can (most likely my college tbh...) and work on processing power.

My secret goal is to create a functional artificial intelligence, study it, then replicate a shell in which I may hold my own consciousness.

>inb4 quantum computing

>> No.3377256

>>3377085
So what govt do you work for? US? You are basically reversing proprietary technology for the govt? Is that legal?

>> No.3377259

Anyone in chem or chem e here?

>> No.3377274

>>3377259
ChemE fag here.

>> No.3377276

>>3377274
Perfect. It's probably what I'm most interested at the moment. Mind answering a few questions?

>> No.3377281
File: 67 KB, 350x338, 1309828947437.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3377276

I guess

>> No.3377312

Mathematics (B.S.)

Senior undergrad at the moment

Starting grad school next fall; focus will be on scientific computing.

Advice? Don't waste your time while an undergrad. The more you get into research the more doors that will open for you when you have to apply to grad schools. And if you don't want to go to grad school then don't get a math degree (unless your goal is math ed).

>> No.3377326

Any nuclear or aerospace engineers?
I can't decide which to choose and I want to know which is more difficult.

>> No.3377330

>>3377281
Right then. How difficult would you say it is? How would you rate your math skills? That's what I'm worried about, really. I'm certainly not bad at math, but I'm towards the bottom of the higher end of the spectrum.

>> No.3377343

>>3377330
Math skills are pretty important. Thermodynamics is basically a confusing Calculus III intensive clusterfuck. I got A, A-, B+, B in Calc I-III and then differential equations respectively.

To be honest, it's the non-math based classes that have fucked me royally.

As long as you can do your Calculus well, you really should be fine.

>> No.3377345
File: 176 KB, 600x848, forever alone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3377330

i'm not him.

lolol

>> No.3377361
File: 8 KB, 210x240, Carl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3377330
Difficulty-wise, I'd say it's pretty difficult. Taking a lot of "demanding" classes at once is what makes it difficult. For instance, Organic Chemistry, which I'd get an A in easily if I was pre-med and took as my ONLY difficult class, gets short shifted because of other difficult courses and becomes a C.

Any other questions?

>> No.3377389

>>3377361
Probably not the best person to ask, but you'd still know more than me.

What kind of jobs are there in chemical engineering?

>> No.3377412

>>3377389
Lots! If you want the big bucks you want to be over in alternative energy from what I hear.

I've known people to go on to companies like British Petroleum, Shell, Glidden, Behr, Boeing, Bayer, Altria, and more.

It's definitely a good major provided you can go through the 4 years of hell, pain, and anal rape.

>> No.3377421

Mathematics major - third year undergrad. Dropped out of med-school because it was too difficult. Plans include finding an advisor for grad school (hopefully somewhere in combinatorics) and working through do Carmo.

>> No.3377427

>Mathematics B.S.
Applied Mathematics M.Sc. student here. I plan on working on computational fluid dynamics at the oil/gas industry. Though I'd like to get involved with turbulence research sometime later once I have the motivation to pursue a Ph.D. Since I'm currently broke/depressed as fuck.

>> No.3377462

>Which major did you take?
Double major in Philosophy and Mathematics.

>What did the work entail and how far in university did you get (undergrad, masters, phd)?
Undergrad

>What kind of work do you plan to do or are you doing with your degree?
Truck driver

>How do you like it and what advice would you give to someone going into that?
Eat me

>> No.3377482

>Which major did you take?
Physics, M.S. Astronomy
>What did the work entail and how far in university did you get (undergrad, masters, phd)?
Lots of reading and computer simulations.
>What kind of work do you plan to do or are you doing with your degree?
Currently post grad work at observatory in CA
>How do you like it and what advice would you give to someone going into that?
Love it because it interests me. Hate it because I don't get paid as much as I want, but that will come in time; astronomers make bank as time goes on. Work hard. And when I say that, work so hard you don't sleep

>> No.3377505

>>3377412
> 4 years of hell, pain, and anal rape.
Jesus. Really that bad? I wanted to, y'know, enjoy college a bit.

>> No.3377601

>>3377505
yep chem e is definitely one of the hardest undergrad programs out there

the classes themselves arent too hard, but taking on 5 at once isnt easy. the material is challenging and boring, which makes getting through a struggle

but once you're past that, its all smooth sailing. the jobs are fantastic. very interesting and rewarding. its just those undergrad years you gotta get through

>> No.3377634

>>3376836
>>3376948
For you, and anyone else this applies to...

When you say you are going for a Masters or Ph.D, does that mean you aren't getting work after your BS(and instead going back to school) or that you're working while going to school?

>> No.3377643

>>3376002
Journalism

>> No.3377664

>>3377634
it depends. one people get their BS, go work, then go back for a masters or PhD. others go straight from their BS to a masters or PhD. working while your doing your graduate degree is almost impossible

>> No.3377683

for anyone with a degree in Aerospace engineering, is it worth it to go directly to a Masters instead of getting work after getting my BS? This based on extra pay, and choice of work

I don't plan on getting my PhD for it, doesn't seem worth it

>> No.3377706

Left and Right brain division specialization isn't true

"Creativity" is stored in both hemispheres as is "Logic"

That said going in for Neuroscience in September

Plan: Remove the brain from the body in a sustainable way that will ensure an exponentially increasing lifespan for myself.......*sigh* and others.....

>> No.3377818

Major: Computer Science. Minor: Math

So far just programming. Only in first year.

Hopefully working for an intelligence agency.

I like it quite a bit. I love math and programming, especially algorithms. Sometimes I think I should have been a philosophy major.

>> No.3378892

I did a year of math and transferred to aerospace engineering.

>> No.3378899

Nuclear Engineering. I studied it to a Masters level but I'm currently working on my PhD.

Prior to that I was in the British Army. I wouldn't mind going into academia further but I've got a pretty lucrative offer at Sellafield if I choose to go into industry.

Loved the degree, loved the work and I love the details. I just ate it up. I left school with nothing apart from hilariously bad GCSE grades and started uni late. The only advice I can give you is before doing something, make sure you enjoy doing it.

>> No.3378912

Biochemistry

Pretty much the same courses as a chemistry major, except I didn't take an extra semester of analytical chemistry or inorganic chemistry, instead taking extra biochemistry and biology classes.

Just graduated with my BS, going to start my PhD this fall. I'm being offered a $24k stipend plus benefits. The plan is to find a well-paying biotech job.

Sadly, chem majors almost have to continue to grad school. People with only 4-year degrees only get to do grunt work. Just keep your grades up, take a GRE class, and find a undergraduate research/internship position and get good references and you'll get in to grad school.

>> No.3378989

BA in Japanese Studies.

Wanted to do Linguistics generally, but a more specific subject was more what I liked.

I'm hoping to do something internationally-related, so for instance Foreign Ministry or something.

I like it, but I still don't know if Linguistics had been a better choice. And given the shit legislation in this country (Netherlands), I doubt I'll ever be able to find out.

>> No.3379007

Biology with double minors in chem and German, for what that matters.

I focused on evolutionary biology and pathogenesis. I took a boatload of summer classes and used my AP credits and test-outs to take more chem and bio classes than I really needed. I graduated two classes short of a biochem degree. I think it's fascinating and had no idea what to do with it.

I've worked at numerous levels of the pharmaceutical industry. I interned as a translator for international conferences (mom is/was director of Marking and PR), marketing, and in the less well known "political division" of a major pharma company. I worked for two years for a smaller contract company doing real science. It was a small company, but I was promoted to chief microbiologist with my own floor of a small building and two underlings. I'm in law school now on track to do patent law with a certification to assist/advise in re: EU patent and corporate law. With any luck, I'll return to big pharma as a staff attorney for our very lucrative US-German partnership with another company. Mom assures me that the position will be waiting for me when I pass the bar.

Do what you love. I love science with a deep passion, but argument and theatrics are a big part of who I am. I'm also something of a business schemer, so this seems like a good move. There aren't many attorneys that know both the science and the industry like I do. If you want big money, make yourself an indispensable piece of human capital.

>I can't wait to wear bespoke suits, giant windsor knots, cufflinks, and keep an apartment in Frankfurt. The legal team working on the partnership regularly uses the corporate jet or chartered flights, so that'll be cool too. The idea of being a high powered company shark in a suit is almost arousing.

>> No.3379063

interesting

>> No.3379141

OP here, after reading through all of this (I thought the thread died yesterday) I think I'll be going into aerospace engineering w/ a minor in physics or mechanical engineering and then head off to grad school.
Also, for the post that said I need to take my time, I would but my college is shit, don't want to be on my parent's wallet anymore and I didn't work in high school so I'm making up for my stupidity then. Thanks for your help /sci/entists, it was interesting seeing what kind of people actually are on here and what studies interest this group. Again, thanks alot.
Oh and I just liked the picture for the aesthetic value, I realize it's a load of shit.