[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 96 KB, 1024x768, sal_id_campaign_poster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3285880 No.3285880 [Reply] [Original]

DISLIKE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxOEz9aPZNY
Comment too -- BUT KEEP IT FUCKING CIVIL AND POLITE; Khan's a pretty cool guy

EMAIL: khan-academy-comments@googlegroups.com, skhan@khanacademy.org

Hello Mr. Khan and members of the Khan Academy team,

First, I would like to thank you for making this website and investing your time in a noble cause. This has helped me and presumably millions of others around the world. I would like to sincerely thank you.

That said, I noticed a video about Intelligent Design in the Biology playlist. I am familiar with the style of these videos and that it is not 100% formal, but this is too much. Intelligent Design is not science. This "ID" video is third from the top of the Biology playlist. Kids watching these videos will learn about "ID" before they will learn about masterpieces of the scientific method like the processes of photosynthesis or meiosis. This is not about atheism activism or anything of the sort. I am simply concerned about students being instructed about Intelligent Design as though it were somehow even remotely scientific. Perhaps this exposition from the Union of Concerned Scientists will help: http://www.ucsusa.org/scientific_integrity/what_you_can_do/why-intelligent-design-is-not.html

This Intelligent Design video belongs in a philosophy or religion section. There's nothing wrong with teaching about this viewpoint. I simply think it should be kept out of the realm of biology.

Please do not take offense at this. Your videos are otherwise very amazing and perhaps deserving of a Nobel Peace Prize. I am simply concerned about the education of scientific principles--with the clear distinction being made to receptive students between non-scientific/pseudoscientific concepts and actual science that underwent the rigors of the scientific method.

Keep up the brilliant work,
[Name]

>> No.3285888

>made a script to auto-post this every few hours on /sci/ and other boards
>i just fill out the captchas first
>what boards should I spam this on?

>> No.3285916

>>3285880
You seem upset.

>> No.3285950

>You have already reported this post, or someone with your IP has already reported it.

Well.... The last time I was about to tell OP off for being retarded it was already deleted.
Stop spamming up the board, matey.

>> No.3285955
File: 17 KB, 250x250, 1308080781280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Guess what time it is

>> No.3285989

Anyone who hasn't done this yet, please do.

BIOLOGY > INTELLIGENT DESIGN

>> No.3286012

>>3285989

I sent khan a message telling him this entire thing was an internet raid by children and that he should filter all of these emails.

I also thanked him for his work and donated $5 to him through paypal

>> No.3286018

>>3286012
>one box of butthurt

>> No.3286107

bumpan

>> No.3286127

>about masterpieces of the scientific method like the processes of photosynthesis or meiosis
That made me cringe.

>> No.3286129

Got a reply back from a guy named "Michael" saying that Khan has been informed of this and will address the issue soon.

I think we succeeded guys.

>> No.3286143
File: 76 KB, 900x773, fuckyea.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3286129
FUCK YES!

THIS IS A PROUD MOMENT FOR /SCI/.

BE PROUD ALL OF THOSE WHO CONTRIBUTED. YOU IMPROVED SCIENCE EDUCATION FOR EVERYONE AROUND THE WORLD.

>> No.3286150

>>3286143
Lol, I can't wait till he addresses it. He's going to tell you you're a bunch of morons, but in a polite way.