[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 561 KB, 1085x750, rulers_yo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3272685 No.3272685 [Reply] [Original]

What engineering degree should I go for? How is electrical engineering? Job availability and pay are what I care about mainly.

I'm reluctant to choose anything involving a focus on the use of computers since the jobs are apparently being outsourced on a massive scale.

Also it seems there are no engineers in /adv/.

>> No.3272696 [DELETED] 
File: 51 KB, 809x511, engineers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

thats because most people on /adv/ are heterosexual.

>> No.3272703
File: 291 KB, 750x520, 1280559813782.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3272685
>engineering

I think you are looking for /cm/ or /y/

>> No.3272815

Woah ,what's the hate against engineers?

I'm a ChemE finishing my bachelors in Germany and I love it. You must now that each engineering is different. E.g. Mechanical engineers are mostly "Cool Story Bro" type of guy.

ChemE is the most highly paid engineering (besides Oil engineering, but come on), although I didn't choose it because of it, but because I love chemistry, specially Biochemistry and I hope to pursue a master's or doctor's in such field.

What do you like?, if you don't get to love your engineering I'm afraid you'll get stuck. Well, depending of the Uni.

Also, I don't see what's this hate against engineers. I have a lot of respect for "hard" science (I almost studied physics) and I sincerely believe both engineering and science are vital for the progress of mankind. I see both more like team, rather than 2 different fields.

>> No.3273077

Assuming that you're leaning towards electrical engineering, I'd recommend electronics engineering (low voltage electrical engineering). It's currently the fastest growing engineering field, it pays well, but I really wouldn't worry about the difference in salaries in all engineering fields because they are very miniscule.

Stability or job availability is the key issue, and civil engineering is one of those jobs where you would lose a job immediately during a recession, or make a ton of money once the demand increases.

By the way, for computers, engineering jobs are not the ones being outsourced. That's just tech support.

>> No.3273103

All engineering fields are fairly secure. It's low-level computer work and codemonkey work that is going overseas.

If you have long-term experience with a firm, you will never be out of a job. But nothing is served to you on a platter.

>> No.3273119

All the I.C.makers will soon start looking for people with degrees in Chemical Engineering in the hopes that nano-technology will move in.

>> No.3273120

Any eng degree should give you a decent career if you dont suck, so pick whichever you like the best. if you dont like what you are doing you will be a bad engineer

also its only shitty tech support and codemonkey jobs being outsourced. and some software engineering, but software engineering jobs are still projected to have massive increases in US in the next couple decades.