[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 142 KB, 425x282, Hand.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3272015 No.3272015 [Reply] [Original]

Normally I have a "Fuck yeah, science!" approach to most things. But something has shaken that belief.
I'm living in a small dormitory while I'm at university. While studying in the dining hall (it's open all night during the exam period), I started a conversation with a girl who was also there. She lives in the block of dorms next to mine.

Anyway, somehow the conversation led to her saying she can read palms. I was intrigued, so I asked her to read mine. She made some vague predictions regarding my future, then went on to my past. What she said was... scarily accurate.
She brought up things that absolutely no-one at the residential college had any way of knowing.

How did she know all that stuff just by looking at my hand? This shit isn't real, right /sci/?

>> No.3272020

Can we have some examples of what she answered, without any exaggerations? Then we can slander your claim.

>> No.3272028

No it doesn't work. What did she say? It cant have been any specific details, this shit is all cold reading. its vague stuff that could apply to anyone.

>> No.3272033

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

Start there

>> No.3272035

>>3272015
I didn't really ask any questions. She just stated things like: "You were bullied a lot throughout your school life." "You loved your mother to death growing up, but now you've drifted apart." "Your father never understood you as a kid." "You hated school camps."
She described two "relationships" I've had in the past, but talked about them as though they were with the same girl.

>>3272033
I watch South Park; I was keeping an eye out for stuff like that. I don't think there was much.

>> No.3272046

She was that fat girl at your high school that you didn't give a shit about that suddenly lost a lot of weight over the summer before university.

>> No.3272048

>>3272046
I'd never met her prior to starting university.

>> No.3272052

>>3272035
Studying science makes me think you were a nerd. Hence the bullying and your father not understanding you, and the camps.
Pretty much everyone loved their mother growing up, and grew further apart from them. Especially if you've moved to another area for university.

>>3272033
Hs it right

>> No.3272054

>>3272048
that's what you think.

>> No.3272055

> She just stated things like: "You were bullied a lot throughout your school life." "You loved your mother to death growing up, but now you've drifted apart." "Your father never understood you as a kid." "You hated school camps."

>"scarily" accurate.

Her details appear vague and broad. Maybe you're sexually attracted to her is all?

>> No.3272063
File: 5 KB, 126x126, 1306350686267s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"oh fuck, maybe if i agree with everything this dumb palm-reading broad is saying she might wanna fuck me"

>> No.3272064

>>3272052
Strong points. But how did she know about the girl(s)?

>>3272055
I don't think so. I normally don't go for blonds. Attraction probably would have impaired my judgement, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't any.

>> No.3272075
File: 41 KB, 727x655, tim_minchin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3272064
these people arn't plying a skill, she's either guessed lucky or is stalking you!

>> No.3272076

Palm reading is often done two ways. Cold reading like previously mentioned as well as using hints on a persons hand. Callused hands usually mean the person does manual labor, marks from clenching fists can tell a person your nervous, ect. ect.

>> No.3272087

I'm not saying this girl is legit, but it is plausible that genuine abilities like these are extremely rare while the majority of people who claim them are actually fakes. My honest opinion people who actually can do stuff like this either aren't even doing, and if they are have no clue how they do it to begin with

>> No.3272137
File: 192 KB, 1657x1682, horoscope.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3272165

For once I has been fortune-tellers, palms reading isn't mystic but art.
Try to learn different between prediction and divination. Example, Feng Shui and Tarot.
Some art may not entirely science but involve with static, and of course, people reading technique.