[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 3 KB, 126x126, 1306015806786.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3264128 No.3264128 [Reply] [Original]

So im somewhat undecided on a major but Ive been thinking about marine biology.

I really want a job that doesnt have me sitting behind a desk or doing something boring.

I dont know the demand for that major and the pay doesnt seem to good either. Would i fuck myself over if i majored in that. Other similar alternatives?

>> No.3264132 [DELETED] 
File: 13 KB, 247x321, tomgreen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"A marine biologist, well...that sounds like a lie"

>> No.3264148

don't do marine bio, no jobs or opportunities at all

>> No.3264159
File: 58 KB, 540x405, marine biology.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Marine biology is exciting.

>> No.3264162

>>3264148

But i read that the oceans are going down the shitter. Wouldnt they need biologists?

Is anyone currently majoring in this or has graduated?

Other similar routes?

>> No.3264174
File: 292 KB, 487x348, cramer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3264159
Is that a titleist?

>> No.3264181

A friend of mine has a Ph.D. in Marine Biology, and he's currently a PE teacher at a local middle school.

I shit you not.

>> No.3264197

>>3264181

Well.... He got unlucky....fuck

Are there any professions that require at least a moderately active lifestyle (like hiking around and shit), pay well, and are sci related?

No physics. I fucking hate physics.

>> No.3264203

>>3264197
environmental science maybe, an old friend of mine majored in that and is now a park ranger;i forget which park though

>> No.3264209

>>3264197
geology. i shit you not

and, as for marine bio, you can get a job if you have a PhD and arent terrible (if anything you can post-doc it up indefinitely if you cant get a real job). the thing that pushed me away from it was the lifestyle. you're 1. always poor as hell, 2. constantly fighting for grants, 3. if you get a grant and it runs out mid-project, too fucking bad. all your hard work, down the drain. happens more often than you would think

>> No.3264232

http://www.bls.gov/oco/
on left side, mouse over the various categories you'll see sub categories. shows you prospected job growth, salary, and nature of the work.

no idea about marine biology. i know geology/geosciences are in demand, pay fairly well, and give you the option of travelling all over the world. thus far in my education one of my professors left mid semester to get on a boat and sail to the arctic circle, another left mid semester to go to peru. one of the grad students i know got a job working on a science vessel around australia i think, and another is going to/is in antarctica for the summer. most of my professors have pretty much been all over the world.

>> No.3264303

>>3264209
>>3264197

he's right about hiking and geology. however, you should be prepared for a fairly strenuous academic experience. there will be physics and calculus, at least one year of regular physics plus a geophysics class of some kind. some of the core classes will get into physical stuff (structural geology will get into physics as well as chem), and can be mathematically demanding. there will also be chemistry, and the chemistry will be revisited often, especially in mineralogy and petrography.
but on the other side of that there is almost always at least one field trip per semester per course, and there should also be a field methods course (which for me consisted of essentially being driven to field areas for four hours a time, two times a week).