[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.41 MB, 2800x1600, 1308091324237.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3256694 No.3256694 [Reply] [Original]

R^3 Vector Problem.

>Find the equation of a line that passes through point A and intersects a line ( r = p + sm ) at a right angle.

>You're given the values for the equation and the point.

1) Find the direction vector from A to p, then use that with m to find the normal to the plane both lines are in.

2) The cross product of the normal and m is the direction vector of the line whose equation I'm trying to find.

3) You got a point and a direction vector for the equation now. Done.

Was this method correct?

>> No.3256703

>You're given the values for the equation and the point.

I guess that wasn't specific enough. I meant the values for the line in the form (r = p + sm) and the point refers to Point A.

>> No.3256955

no one knows then

>> No.3256994

m dot (x - A) = 0.

m is the direction the line travels in, and is therefore orthogonal to the plane, so you need not do any kind of cross products here... you already have the direct of the perpendicular line! This plane is in the form m dot x = 0, which is the right shaped plane that passes through the origin. To get it to pass through A, we shift it A units, so we get m dot (x - A) = 0.

So no, you did it completely fucking wrong.