[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 4 KB, 400x296, fluoride5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3254829 No.3254829 [Reply] [Original]

I know this might sound pretty dumb..
But im scared to brush my teeth due to fluoride. I hear about all these experiments and people lose iq when exposed to it and brain damage etc.
I know you might say that its a very small amount im being exposed too. But im just not like that, I dont care how small it is.

I dont want disgusting teeth, but I favor my consciousness.

Can I get some scientific opinions on fluoride?

>> No.3254834

Don't worry.The fact you are afraid of brushing teeth means that you are already stupid as a rock, so you have nothing to lose

>> No.3254842

>>3254834
thanks bro

>> No.3254852

bump

>> No.3254858

Brushed my teeth for 13+ years now, I still managed to not be a dumbass and get into a goo college

>> No.3254862

What is the dosage of fluoride these people are receiving in studies and how much are you receiving?

>> No.3254866

Like all things it's harmful in excessive amounts. Just gargle some water and spit the toothpaste out and you will ingest less fluoride than some parts of the world with naturally high fluoride levels in river water.

>> No.3254870

>>3254862
Not sure but its widely accepted that fluoride causes tons of problems. Its just a question of how much.

But I like to be safe and ask why should I expose myself to it at all?

>> No.3254883

>>3254829

Just get a fluoride free toothpaste. You're teeth aren't going to rot without it.

There's so much other bad shit in toothpaste. The polyalcohols, SLS, etc.

>> No.3254887

>>3254866
i wash my mouth out like 5 times

but then it feels like i wash all the toothpaste away and there was no point in using it anyways -.-

>> No.3254895

>>3254887
The fluoride got where it needs to be, the surface of your teeth.

>> No.3254901

where did you get that information from? did it mean toothpaste amounts or huge amounts?

>> No.3254904

>>3254895
you think the fluoride can bond that fast ^^

>> No.3254914

>>3254901
>did it mean toothpaste amounts or huge amounts?

See I dont look at it like that...

I look at it like this

50 g will kill you.
25 g will damage your brain
1 g will lower your iq by 1.

1g, 2x a day every day
you are a full blown retard in a year

Hypothetical numbers but im just saying
I dont want any exposure

>> No.3254944

>>3254914

Dosing doesn't work that way. A low dosage of a substance over a long period of time can be filtered by your body far better than a high dosage of a substance over a short period of time.

Hell, there are various substances which are deadly in high dosages but which are absolutely essential to living in low doses. (ie quite a lot of vitamins and minerals.)

>> No.3254947

>>3254914

And you don't take in anywhere near 1g. You'll intake more fluoride from tap water than toothpaste in a day.

>> No.3254954

>>3254944
And how do we know how fluoride is digested?

someone said it gets stored in your pineal gland
???????

>> No.3254964

>>3254904
You think 1+1=3, oh wait you never said that.

>> No.3254970

>>3254964
what were you saying then lol
if i wash out my mouth
everything leaves my mouth
the fluroide has to bond by the time im done brushing to the time im washing
or it gets washed away

>> No.3254978

>>3254914
If you hold your hand over a candle for ten seconds a day, for a year, is it the same as dousing your hand in gasoline and setting it on fire once?

>> No.3254986

>>3254978
no because you are adding gasoline

i would say though that putting your hand over a candle for 10 seconds a day for a week at 4 inches

is somewhat as bad as putting your hand there for 10 seconds at 2 inches once

>> No.3255000

>>3254970
I was being concise, which means I left out technical details like the fact fluoride is absorbed into the tooth enamel and the short period after brushing your teeth is one of the few times when the teeth are not covered in plaque.

>> No.3255001

There are no toxic substances, only toxic concentrations of substances. Fluoride in the concentrations found in toothpaste does not affect brain function. You could swallow half a tube a day and be fine.

Bad oral hygiene on the other hand can cause all sorts of problems. A healthy digestive system starts with the mouth.

>I hear about all these experiments and people lose iq
I'd like to see a citation there.

>> No.3255032

>>3255001
>Fluoride in the concentrations found in toothpaste does not affect brain function.

If you can accept that fluoride can affect brain function with a large dose than why cant a small one but at a smaller rate?

Like... The fluoride in your body still does the same thing it would. It might not be a noticeable change. But I dont understand how ONLY a big dose can do something. The small doses obviously still do something in your body.

for iq loss
http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/brain/

>> No.3255040

>>3255001

>A healthy digestive system starts with the mouth.

It's funny you should say that. The artificial sweeteners they use (sorbitol, xylitol) are far from being good for your digestive system. They give anything from abdominal cramping to diarrhea without swallowing the toothpaste.

>> No.3255062

>>3255032

It's moderation. It's all about the quantity/concentration.

If you have a couple beers a week your liver won't suffer any from it, but if you intake a few beers a day it probably will.

Your body can handle things in small dosages.

As >>3255001 said
>There are no toxic substances, only toxic concentrations of substances

>> No.3255071

>swallow half a tube a day
You'll get teeth fluorosis though.

>> No.3255072

>>3255032
>If you can accept that fluoride can affect brain function with a large dose than why cant a small one but at a smaller rate?
Because there is no empirical evidence to support this. There is potassium cyanide in your body. Right now. Sulfur dioxide, sulfuric acid, same story. Should you ingest a whole bunch of that? No, because that would be a stupid idea.
>http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/brain/
I'm not going to click that because of the fear mongering name. There is no empirical evidence to suggest fluoride in tooth paste negatively affects health. In fact, in my country they experimented with putting fluoride in drinking water for a while (as is standard in some countries), but it was stopped after a while because of irrational people like you. The benefits of the trial can still be seen in the cohort who received it. I'd link you to the paper, but it's in Dutch...

>> No.3255070

brush your teeth with baking soda

>> No.3255082

>>There are no toxic substances, only toxic concentrations of substances

I dont agree with that.

A chemical CAN effect your body...
Even if its 1 molecule.
It will just effect your body a lot less than say 100 molecules. It scales...

>> No.3255088

OP, if you live in the US, look at this.

http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/nohss/FluoridationMapV.asp?Year=2006

Odds are you live somewhere with fluoride in your drinking water.

>> No.3255090

flouride in the drinking water would cause these things, brushing your teeth with it is good for you and doesn't cause any of these problems you listed.

So in summary, it's only a concern if you're being forced to drink it by the government every day.

>> No.3255091

>>3255082
>It will just effect your body a lot less than say 100 molecules. It scales...
It does not scale. WATER can kill you in large concentrations. Drink four liters of water and you'll probably die. It's all about homeostasis.

>> No.3255099

>>3255091
It does scale.

There is a threshold for when your cells will burst due to too much water.

For fluoride nobody really knows that threshold. There might not be one.
Fluoride might just do whatever it does and thats that. The more you intake the worse it gets.

>> No.3255112

>>3255099
Jesus chrisht, how can you agree with the fact you you need water to survive, and than state that damaging effect scale? That does not make sense. It is logically incorrect. That's enough for me to leave the conversation, because it is pointless debating with someone who cannot reason.

Have a nice day.

>> No.3255116

I live in Washington state, and my dentist told me that I should drink tap water from the sink because it contains fluoride, and so it would help protect my teeth. Under the assumption that I drink 6-8 10 oz. cups a day, should I just stick to filtered water?

>> No.3255118

>>3255112
What do you mean I cant reason?

You haven't told me how fluoride is handled inside the body so how the fuck am i supposed to agree with you when you are talking about water...

>> No.3255123

>>3255112
and water does fucking scale lol...

if you drink 1 cup
then you will be 1 cup less thirsty

if you drink 2 cups
2 cups less thirsty

eventually if you drink enough your body will slowly respond in bad ways

HOW IS THAT NOT SCALING

>> No.3255133

>>3255116

Fluoride is 1ppm in tap water, no where near harmful. You're fine.

>> No.3255136

Im with OP, I stay away from fluoride. Why is children's toothpaste fluoride free? If it's harmful to them why couldn't it be just as harmful to me?

>> No.3255143

>>3255136
This

its like, the shit doesn't just disappear ... It may be more harmful to a developing baby but I know it still hurts me a little if it can do that to a baby.

How do you brush your teeth though?

>> No.3255146

>>3255123

And furthermore... Look at turkeys. They die because they leave their mouth open during a rainstorm. They ingest too much water.

>> No.3255151

>>3255143

Fluoride free toothpaste. It works just as well. Fluoride isn't the sole preventer of tooth decay.

>> No.3255152

>>3255146
Ok.... I never said turkeys couldnt die from rainstorms.

?

>> No.3255155

>>3255152

But I'm saying too much water is harmful. It scales. Drinking a cup wont kill but 40 cups could

>> No.3255165

>>3255155
>It scales. Drinking a cup wont kill but 40 cups could
You're saying, because it scales, a single cup would hurt you, but to a lesser extent than 40 cups.

>> No.3255167

>>3255165
no because your cells actually need SOME water

fluoride is not useful at all and just outright does damage

>> No.3255169

>>3255167
>no because your cells actually need SOME water
Right, so apparently it does not scale. Fluoride is endogenous, just in smaller concentrations than water. I'm off.

>> No.3255176

>>3255169
LOL?
your entire body though.
I agree each individual cell would need a certain amount.

but over your whole body you need to fill each cell up and that is very scale like

fluoride is not useful at all
and actually does damage with each atom
1 atom does damage.
1k atoms does damage.
it scales.
deal with it

>> No.3255178

dentistfag here.

There is no reason to be afraid of local fluoridation, that means fluoridation only in the oral cavity (you spit the toothpaste out, the amount accidentaly ingested is very low if you are not a retard, even a cup of some natural waters contains more fluoride than you ingest by typical brushing.

When it comes to actually eating fluoride supplements, that is IMHO not needed in the developed world, when you brush every day and drink mineral waters, fluoride has some side effects when ingested in larger amounts over short period of time. But this is not the case with toothpastes and oral rinses, which are spat out not swallowed. Either way, you would have to swallow a whole tube of tootpaste at once to reach toxic dose.

>> No.3255191

>>3255178
>if you are not a retard

lost all respect as a professional dentist

appreciate it though

how do you feel about washing out your mouth vigorously after a brush?

>> No.3255199

>>3255178

As someone who uses a fluoride-free toothpaste due to a gastrointestinal sensitivity to it, am I that bad off? Will my teeth suffer without it, is it really that necessary in the prevention of tooth decay?

>> No.3255202

tap water has flouride( and chlorine and other shit)
in it, atleast in the US,

>> No.3255203

>take a shower
>skin absorbs loads of fluoride from the water

Joke's on you, OP.

>> No.3255208

>>3255203
Not sure if srs....

If thats true i better just kill myself.

My consciousness is probably severely degraded by now.

>> No.3255213

>>3255203
>take a shower

Never gonna happen. I have a 3 inch thick pile of dried cum on the floor in front of my chair.

>> No.3255240
File: 4 KB, 200x169, ripper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?

>> No.3255250

>>3255191

retarded is a medical term :P

Just wash it normally, why vigorously.. And use oral rinse, those new ones like Listerine are really good.

>>3255199

If you have a sensitivity you should probably not use it. But, it depends on severity of sensitivity, do you get a reaction even when you dont swallow the paste and rinse properly afterwards? You can try fluoride toothpaste for children which has only 250-400 ppm (normal paste has 1000-1500 ppm). And it also depends on the caries activity on your teeth. When you dont get caries even when using fluoride free toothpaste, there is no need to change it. Everyone is different when it comes to caries incidence and enamel resistance.

>> No.3255277

They actually invented non-fluoride toothpaste.

Pretty cool huh.

>> No.3255280

>>3255250

Yes, I get the reaction even without swallowing and after a thorough rinsing of my mouth.

>> No.3256225

goo college

>> No.3256232
File: 34 KB, 462x477, facepalm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3255176
>your entire body though.
>I agree each individual cell would need a certain amount.

>but over your whole body you need to fill each cell up and that is very scale like
See attached.

>fluoride is not useful at all
>and actually does damage with each atom
>1 atom does damage.
Like what? Humor me. What does it do? Do you even know ANYTHING about the physiology involved?

>> No.3256239

>>3254829
>>3254829

Op is a candy-ass and a victim of the dosage fallacy.

Small amounts of flouride = good
High dosage = problems.

You're not going to get a high dosage from brushing your fucking teeth.

Also, wouldn't we expect to see a societal decline in IQ after it was introduced in toothpaste, and later water?

>> No.3256253

Hey OP, how does it feel knowing that I use a toothpaste that has about twice the fluoride of standard toothpaste, and I'm still less retarded than you?

>> No.3256259

>>3254829
They put fluoride in the water supply, you know. I'll have you know that it's an international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids.
No kidding.

>> No.3256268

>>3255176
Do tell, good sir, how does one obtain a fluoride ATOM in normal circumstances, or how many fluoride atoms are there? each fluoride ATOM does damage you say? Oh my, this is some pretty serious thing you're saying, care to post any scientifically proven evidence, any researches done on this harmful atomical fluoride?

>> No.3256294

Do people still think that fluoride is capable of mind-bending at conc. found in toothpaste/water? Dental flurosis is possibility, nothing more. Unless your water isn't desalinated, which removes heft of it.

>> No.3256310

Glad I don't live in America with mass water flouridation

>Milk fluoridation is practiced by the Borrow Foundation in some parts of Bulgaria, Chile, Peru, Russia, Macedonia, Thailand and the UK. Depending on location, the fluoride is added to milk, to powdered milk, or to yogurt.

WHAT THE FUCK

>> No.3256314

>Did you know that fluoridation chemicals were once used as pesticides?

>That they are registered as poisons under the 1972 Poisons Act, in the same group of toxins as arsenic, mercury and paraquat?

>That there is considerable evidence that it does NOT reduce levels of tooth decay.

>Although fluoride is scientifically classed as more toxic than lead, the Government allows 20 times as much fluoride as lead in drinking water.

>The fluoride added to drinking water isn’t the pharmaceutical grade stuff added to toothpaste.

>It’s hexafluorosilicic acid derived from an industrial process... It comes from the pollution scrubber liquor from factory chimneys Basically it's a hazardous industrial waste that is illegal to dump at sea.

>It also contains small amounts of impurities such as lead, mercury, beryllium and
arsenic.

>> No.3256338

The fluoride that the Prime Minister wants to put in everyone’s
drinking water is a hazardous industrial waste that is illegal to
dump at sea.

This toxic waste doesn’t just contain fluoride. It also has small
amounts of impurities such as lead, mercury, beryllium and
arsenic.

One may wonder how it ever managed to pass any safety test.

The simple – if unbelievable – answer is that it didn’t. In
Britain, the National Pure Water Association has repeatedly
challenged the Government to produce the safety testing data for
the product.

The Government never has, because the data doesn’t exist.

>> No.3256333

The conclusion of the York Review, the Government’s own study of
water fluoridation, which reported in 2000, found “little
evidence” that fluoridation reduced dental health inequalities.

Pro-fluoridation professionals seek to give the impression that
scientists generally agree with them.

This is the case with the British Dental Association and the
British Medical Association, but elsewhere fluoride is not seen
as “safe and effective”.

Robert Carton, former president of the Union of Government
Scientists at the US Environmental Protection Agency – the body
that oversees drinking water quality in the US – has described
fluoridation as “the greatest case of scientific fraud of this
century, if not of all time.”

In 1998, Dr Peter Mansfield examined people in the fluoridated
West Midlands and carried out fluoride-level tests on more than
200 volunteers.

He found that 60 per cent of them were ingesting more fluoride
than the Government considers safe.

Some of them had four times the “safe” level in their bodies.

Mansfield sent his results to the highest levels at the
Department of Health, but he was ignored.

>> No.3256340

>>3255250

>retarded is a medical term :P
>:P

I refuse to believe you are a practicing medical professional.

>> No.3256347
File: 99 KB, 377x377, 1305462583878.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oxygen is also detrimental to your health if consumed in excess, yet you don't stop breathing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

Please be rational and clean, and brush your teeth. Else you're going to kill anyone you approach.

>> No.3256359

>drink tons of tap water with fluoride
>brush teeth with regular toothpaste
>be way smarter than OP

feelsgoodman.jpg

>> No.3256383

use mouth wash you retard and use a tooth past that does not have fluoride

>> No.3256388

>>3256338
thats why i use a water filter. that has filter in it with holes smaller then 125,000 of an inch.

>> No.3256389

>>3256314
>Did you know that fluoridation chemicals were once used as pesticides?
So is salt.
>That they are registered as poisons under the 1972 Poisons Act, in the same group of toxins as arsenic, mercury and paraquat?
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1972/66
Ctrl+F "flu" NO RESULTS
>That there is considerable evidence that it does NOT reduce levels of tooth decay.
there is far more proving it does. Additionally, tooth decay is also a function of diet and genetics.
>Although fluoride is scientifically classed as more toxic than lead, the Government allows 20 times as much fluoride as lead in drinking water.
Do you know the fluoride is filtered and excreted by the body as needed, and lead accumulates?
>The fluoride added to drinking water isn’t the pharmaceutical grade stuff added to toothpaste.
they both us fluoride salts.
>It’s hexafluorosilicic acid derived from an industrial process... It comes from the pollution scrubber liquor from factory chimneys Basically it's a hazardous industrial waste that is illegal to dump at sea.
nope, it's a salt.
>It also contains small amounts of impurities such as lead, mercury, beryllium and
arsenic.
hey, so does mineral water!

>> No.3256419

>>3256389

LOL consiparcy websites

>> No.3256430

Clinical evidence about fluoride's ability to prevent dental caries is inconclusive.
However, it is known that fluoride accumulated in bone. If consumed high doses over extended periods of time, skeletal fluorosis and other complications are inevitable.
The upper tolerable is disputed, but commonly it is 2-4mg. Considering most fluoridated water sources contain ~1 mg fluoride per liter. Most people drink about 2 liters per day.
Fluoride is used in huge quantities by aluminum processors and uranium enrichment facilities. It is extremely hard to dispose of and a terrible pollutant. ... Curious indeed

>> No.3256438
File: 13 KB, 300x300, 1290845094135.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this entire thread

You should've seen it coming when you saw the words "flouride" and "brain damage"

>> No.3256444

OP, why not just swallow a few tubes yourself and see what happens rather then relying on others to try it for you?

>> No.3256450

>>3255082
You can disagree with facts, but then you're just stupid as shit.

>> No.3256452

you are gross dirty and should die in a fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhVFaJp3kT8

>> No.3256458

>>3255123

not the guy who was debating with you, however:

what you were saying is, that 1/100 of a certain dose of fluoride will have exactly the same effect as the certain dose, except 100 times less significant.

Now let us use water as example.
1 cup quenches you thirst
100 cups kill you.

Now, unless quenching thirst is 1/100 of death, which it isn't, your argument is invalid.

>> No.3256471

>>3254914
from my toothpaste tube:
>contains 1450 ppm F-

>> No.3256473
File: 12 KB, 175x171, 1290427237037.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Idk if anyones said it. and i know theres a lot of dumbasses in here.

but im going to go full caps so everyone sees and shuts the fuck up.

DENTAL FLUOROSIS CAN ONLY HAPPEN IF YOU ARE AN IDIOT AND CONSUME, I SAID CONSUME TOO MUCH FLUORIDE DURING DENTAL DEVELOPMENT, THAT MEANS ONLY KIDS OR TEENAGERS THAT ARE RETARDED AND EAT TOOTHPASTE CAN GET IT.

SKELETAL FLUOROSIS IS THE SAME WAY. ONLY RETARDS THAT SWALLOW. YES SWALLOW THE FUCKING TOOTHPASTE EVERYDAY FOR YEARS CAN GET IT.
DO YOU FUCKS SWALLOW TOOTHPASTE? NO THEN SHUT THE FUCK UP.

IF I KEEP HEARING THIS SHIT THE NEXT PERSON I HEAR IN REAL LIFE SAY IT IS GETTING THEIR SHIT SLAPPED.

FUCK ALL OF YOU FOR BEING RETARDED REBEL ASSHOLES. YOU CAN DO IT BUT LEARN YOUR SHIT BEFORE YOU DO IT.

>> No.3256492

>>3256430
>>3256473
I thought fluorosis was the entire point behind adding flouride. As fluropitite is stronger than hydroxipatite

>> No.3256504

>>3256492
fluorosis is what causes dental and skeletal fluorosis, which is bad.
But can only happen from large consumptions.

Any one that ever mentions those in an argument for why fluoride is bad, is retarded and probably ate toothpaste as a kid and realized it was bad. now they are complaining because of it. because thats the only thing i can think of for why you'd be that stupid.

>> No.3256516

FFS OK THERE ARE ALOT OF OTHER WAY TO CONSUME fluoride. SUCH AS DRINKING TEA AND EATING OTHER KINDS OF PLANTS. YOU DO NOT GET FLUORIDE JUST FROM WATER AND TOOTH PASTE

>> No.3256524

>>3254829
>people lose iq when exposed to it and brain damage
Err, no. Not in the concentrations found in toothpaste and tap water in some countries.

>> No.3256533
File: 11 KB, 227x294, 1308168593269.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hay guize

chemfag here. protip: I accident too much flouride once. now, i think a little slower. really.

have a nice day, brush well all!

>> No.3256562

Fluoride ion, which is in tooth paste doesn't have the toxicity of fluorine gas. It's like, breathing in chlorine gas damages you, but eating salt (NaCl) doesn't.

>> No.3256608

>>3255112
Something can be both necessary and damaging at the same time. Oxygen, for example, is necessary for survival, but also causes oxidative stress. But I don't know if it scales or not. It could be that just one molecule has potential to harm you, but the harm done is so small that it isn't measurable? If so, then fluoride is still nothing to worry about.