[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 25 KB, 250x250, 1305667938864 - Copy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3251868 No.3251868 [Reply] [Original]

This has been bugging me, I know you guys aren't complete Basement Dwellers, so answer me this. When you meet a new person and they ask you what your profession is do they seem impressed? This question is aimed at Engineers and physicians.

>> No.3251884

>implying anyone here works

We're all undergrads here.

The rest are high school underageb& pseudointellectuals.

>> No.3251899

>>3251884
Didn't think of it like that, you're right. Ok change 'profession' to studying. GO

>> No.3251926

>>3251922
yes

>> No.3251922

>>3251868

by "physicians" do you mean doctors?

>> No.3251933

I have a,title of manager. And it is,not fast food related. So i get a,pass.

>> No.3251949

girl: hey what do you study?
me: maths and physics
girl: riiiight *walks away*

oh fuck, captcha: alone rmatents
true story dat, made me lol as well :)

>> No.3251951

People seem generally pretty impressed with being in med school (3rd year here), but always seem to ask the same questions 'i bet that's hardy and other predictable shit.

I usually don't bring it up unless someone asks me though, I get tired of having the same damn conversation. Plus, im not doing it to have my dick sucked by people I casually meet- seems douchey to drop that to sound important.

>> No.3251964

>>3251949
Lol'd, that's pretty funny, i bet you said it in a condescending kind of way.

What other stupid shit do they ask you?

>> No.3251997

>>3251951
>Doesn't sit at Starbucks with med school books and binders spread out so people will know you are better than them.
>Doesn't wear white coat in public
>Doesn't 'accidentally' forget he is wearing a stethoscope

You're doing it wrong. I'm guessing you don't have many high yield nights.

>> No.3252016

Me: "I'm a third year physics major and I work in a lab trying to exploit various properties of semiconductors with columns on top to increase surface area."

Person: "So you're a science person. right. And you are an exploiter? um..."

>> No.3252017

My JOB TITLE (yes, job) is Mechanical Engineer. People are very impressed when they find out, and with good reason. Engineering is difficult and important.

>> No.3252028

>>3252017
i'm doing Mechanical Eningeering in school. it's good but it's not for me so next year i'm going to change into Aerospace

>> No.3252029

>>3251997
>obvious insecure compensation is obvious

>> No.3252034

>>3252028
when i mean school i mean college, my bad. typo

>> No.3252036 [DELETED] 

librarian

people aren't impressed, but its an acceptable profession

(lots of free time and all the books I want, yeaaaaaahhhh!)

>> No.3252042

Librarian.

People aren't impressed, but it's an acceptable profession.

(Lots of free time and all the books I want, yeaaaaaahhhh!)

>> No.3252059

computer engineering student

people who are in tech fields usually say cool and maybe ask me a few questions
people who are clueless either are impressed or their eyes just glaze over

>> No.3252066

work as a chemist in R&D. people impress.

>> No.3252079

>>3252042
Used to be the,most important job.

>> No.3252082

>>3251964
always deflect the convo to "so what do you do/study", especially if its someone whos not doing science, otherwise yorue gonna have a tag on your forehead saying "clever, but socially retarded", even if youre not. so many of my friends ended up like that, even those who did physics and were shit at it

proper brotip thread

also, if in doubt, use magnets to maximise profit

>> No.3252213

They briefly comment something like "Oh you must be smart" and then we change the subject because I can't talk about math or computer science with people who don't do the same thing I do or something closely related

>> No.3253006

her: what do you study?
me: material science
her: wuts dat? lol science
me: mix of basic chemistry and solid state physics
her: oh lawdy it sound so hard >_<, i bet you are soooo smart ( aw gosh but i dont want a clever man i want someone who is an ape and will fuck me hard)

>> No.3253108

Girl here; I think it's fucking hot if I meet a guy studying Physics or Math or some Engineering (inb4 gay) and he's somewhat attractive and intelligent in his field. Something about the major the guy is doing can be sexy.

>> No.3253129

>>3251868
Normally they just say 'cool', ask some polite questions about what engineers of my type do, and then allow me to steer the conversation away to something more generally accessible to speak about.

>> No.3253143

>>3252016
wtf?

>> No.3253158

>>3251997
I'm a 4th year.

Thanks for being the reason people hate us.

>> No.3253163

>>3253158
He's joking you nigger

>> No.3253169

Person: So what do you study?
Me: Chemical engineering
Person: That sounds pretty tough, what do you have to learn?
Alternate Response: (some bullshit courtesy of BBT)

>> No.3253174

Average conversation I get:

>Person: What do you study?
>Me: Astrophysics.
>Person: Oooh, so you look at the constellations?

Feels bad, man,

>> No.3253214

"so what do you study?"
"mechanical engineering"
"oh, can you fix my car?"

>> No.3253222

>Person: What do you study?
>Me: CS Engineering.
>Person: Oooh, so what do you do? Sit a lot?

>> No.3253229

They act impressed because I first make it fun and exciting, then manipulate the shit out of them and play them all like pawns while i rape their women and pillage their towns
ahhhhhahahhaha being an intj is fucking unreal

get on my level ESFP faggots

>> No.3253236
File: 15 KB, 250x250, 1178150015399.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3253174
I laughed.

>> No.3253238

Guy- "So, what're you studying?"
Me- "Astronomy and physics?"
Guy- "oh... you like UFC?"
Me- "What? No."
Guy- "Well." *walks away*

That conversation actually happened.

>> No.3253252

Step 1: drop your major in a conversation
Step 2: Girl gets instantly horny on hearing your an engineering student
Step 3: ??????
Step 4: PROFIT!

>> No.3253249
File: 5 KB, 205x195, lulzensue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3253238
>>3253238
>yfw you have no pussy to slam every night
>yfw you realize you suck at meeting women
>yfw i slayed that pussy after she told me you were an aspie fucktard
>yfw im still more intelligent
>yfw intj master race

>> No.3253262

>>3253252
Step 3: gain a new fag-hag

>> No.3253265

>So what are you studying?
>Computer science.
>So like... you fix computers and stuff?
>Yes.
>Oh cool.

>> No.3253269

i think the reverse is true for me op. i'm an econ major at a bschool but i like to ask what people are studying. my interest usually wanes quickly just because i have nothing to ask them. there's only so many times you can act impressed when someone says they are a psychology major or some other stupid crap.

but then again the responses itt make it seem as if you all couldn't carry on a conversation unless it was about your field of study. surely you have other fields of interest other than hard science? it is summer after all; what is it that you spend your time doing now? (internet forums don't count)

>> No.3253271

>physics

Majority of people think I'm doing god-tier work and somehow know the answer to everything whether it's related or not. Nope.

>> No.3253286

>>3253249

It had nothing to do with conversation. We were having a conversation about majors and he asked it out of the blue. I kid you not, before he asked me what I majored in, he went on for about five minutes about his psychology major or something.

>> No.3253303

i think the reverse is true for me op. i'm an econ major at a bschool but i like to ask what people are studying. my interest usually wanes quickly just because i have nothing to ask them. there's only so many times you can act impressed when someone says they are a psychology major or some other stupid crap.

>implying economics isn't a derivative of psychology

>> No.3253316

>>3251949
You must smell bad or something. I study maths, and studied maths and physics undergrad and am relatively popular (so I do actually meet girls) and have never had a girl be turned away by my field of study. The worst case scenario is they say something along the lines of "That sounds hard." Best case being a girl who immediately decided I was the only guy there smart enough for her tastes (such girls do exist) which I was happy to take advantage of.

I know this isn't statistical evidence or anything, but its as statistically solid as your connotation that because girls hate you they hate mathematicians and physicists.

>> No.3253322

Mech eng here

Most common response: CAN U FIX MY CAR???

>> No.3253360

>>3253316
What I find funny about all of these "god tier"/"my major is better than yours"/etc. posts don't realize that unless you are the most gifted among gifted, who you actually are as a person is a much stronger determining factor in success both professionally and personally.

Think truth is the final arbiter in sciences? Nope, it's the politics of whoever controls the purse strings. Good luck getting anyone to look at any of your amazingly efficient designs after you've pissed on everyone's shoes, they'll just pay some not quite as much asshole to figure out another way to do it. Very few have the chops to suck at life and still make big time money (or hell, even get published -- journals toe political lines just like any other group).

One day y'all will learn. For your sakes, the sooner the better.

>> No.3254660

>some random guy: so i heard you study quantum mechanics
>me: yep
>some random guy: so you work on like future cars that are quantum or somethin?

>> No.3254702

>>3253108
What if he's got no sense of fashion sense at all, is skinny, and likes anime?
aka average 4channer