[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 56 KB, 423x300, math.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3243171 No.3243171 [Reply] [Original]

This is my third year at community college and I'm still in entry level classes. I've been working full time while I figure out what I truly want to do, and while in college I took an assortment of classes to see what I did and did not like. It's time to make a decision.

I like computers. To fiddle around with them and learn about how to operate them. Spent lots of time on /g/ to learn. But not necessarily into programming, to be honest.

I like my economics class and I'm quite comfortable with mathematics so long I study. I hear economists are "mathematicians with personality."

Accounting I suggested because of job opportunities. But I dislike the lack of math classes involved which makes me skeptical, and with the government talking about tax reform. However less math means better grades of course, cause I have to study hard to get the math down.

Any math, computer science/engineering, accounting, or economics majors around?

I also posted this on /adv/ here >>>/adv/6524906 but I think /sci/ will have a few more mathematicians and what-not.

>> No.3243183

If you're not into programming, I assume higher math will also not be your strength.
Therefore you shouldn't try into math or CS.
Economics sounds about right.
The math there isn't very hard, even for summerfags.

>> No.3243199

>>3243183
Hm. The thing with economics is the job opportunities. The mathematics involved is around Linear Systems range, as many graphing techniques are used, however to land a job I'll need a Masters degree.

Of course it's no were as complicated as Mathematics major. Economics I suppose is math with philosophy, psychology, and accounting interworked.

>> No.3243211

You shouldn't care so much about studying.
You won't learn anything useful in university.
The interesting stuff is done when you aim at PhD or when you have to work on a project in your job.

>> No.3243308

If you're only looking at accounting because of the job opportunities then I strongly recommend you avoid it. I had the rare opportunity to take a class in creativity of all things (it was required for landscape architecture majors and highly recommended for engineering majors). One day the lecture briefly touched on the subject of outsourcing, and a list was generated of all the jobs that would likely be outsourced if globalization continued. Accounting was on that list.

You're essentially a human number cruncher. You and your employer/client don't necessarily have to be present in the same room in order to conduct business, and of course there will always be people willing to do your job at a cheaper cost.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with programming? If that's the only roadblock as far as you studying computer sciences then it's worth taking a look as to why exactly you feel this way. You said it yourself, you like computers, and with a title like that you'll probably be quite immune to the threat of outsourcing since there's a very small number of people with your level of expertise.

>> No.3243322

This is my third year at community college and I'm still in entry level classes. I've been working full time while I figure out what I truly want to do, and while in college I took an assortment of classes to see what I did and did not like. It's time to make a decision.

I like computers. To fiddle around with them and learn about how to operate them. Spent lots of time on /g/ to learn. But not necessarily into programming, to be honest.

I like my economics class and I'm quite comfortable with mathematics so long I study. I hear economists are "mathematicians with personality."

Accounting I suggested because of job opportunities. But I dislike the lack of math classes involved which makes me skeptical, and with the government talking about tax reform. However less math means better grades of course, cause I have to study hard to get the math down.

Any math, computer science/engineering, accounting, or economics majors around?

I also posted this on /adv/ here >>>/adv/6524906 but I think /sci/ will have a few more mathematicians and what-not.

>> No.3243334

>>3243322
Wha?

>>3243308
That makes sense.. I really shouldn't push for Accounting then. Of course I'll get a job easily, but it's quite the lonely and work-hardy profession.

I've not tried much programming. Though I really should. The main road block with pursuing Computer Science is the requirements at my school. It's quite heavy. In the other thread someone suggested Computer Engineering. Though I love computers thick and thin, there is nothing to deny that, and.. yes maybe I should pursue that like you said.

>> No.3243363

>>3243308

Bro you crazy

Programming is the thing that's ALREADY getting outsourced hardcore. Whole departments getting outsourced to India.

Accounting can't be outsourced because they fucking need you to be PHYSICALLY there, the lines of code on the other hand can be written from anywhere by anyone and uploaded INSTANTLY on your server.

>> No.3243807
File: 552 KB, 4000x3262, 8IBOP.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]