[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.99 MB, 318x241, 1301072778244.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3215429 No.3215429 [Reply] [Original]

So, Doppler effect, explaining how wavelengths are becoming shorter when speed of observer is faster than speed of source and wavelengths become longer when speed of observer is slower than speed of source.
(Example, Red shift in universe)

To explain why the speed of light isn't constant from every point of reference:
I think that the lesser amount of wavelengts per second, reaching your eye, is an indication of increased speed from the source, as the star is moving faster away from us, the amount of wavelengths reaching us observing will become less aswell.
The light itself doesn't change in speed, it still has the same properties because it's constantly emitted from the same source.
We are just moving slower than the source, allowing a decreased amount of wavelengths reaching us on a high enough level that we can see a frequency change.
The light is still traveling at light speed, only not for us. For us it is traveling at a lower speed. (Not much, but significantly to see the change)
I mean, let's face it, it's not like the properties of the emitted wave coming from the source are going to change just because we want it (change in wavelength), it's the change in speed that accounts for all of this.

>> No.3215456
File: 12 KB, 333x360, 1299037053750.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So...
As speed increases, time slows down, so light loses wavelength but is still moving at c?

>> No.3215489

>>3215456
Did I say anything about time?

v(source)>v(observer)
v(light emit from source) = c, from the speed that the source is going at.
We will observe this light <c.
Because, read the op.
If it were possible to observe the lightbeam going to earth on a right angle (which isn't possible because you can't observe what you can't see), we would see the light going at c.