[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 35 KB, 500x379, dry793.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3192554 No.3192554 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/, first time poster.

So, I've been going around 4chan and asking several boards for help with this problem, and /x/, /fit/, and /adv/ have all said that the greatest minds of 4chan congregate here.

It's a decently sized story, so bare with me.

It all started maybe 2 and a half years ago, when I started learning to drive. You know how highway hypnosis sets in and you go into autopilot mode after awhile? Well, that started happening, and I didn't like the feeling of it, so i tried my hardest to fight it off while driving, but I couldn't. Each time I drove it got worse, and it began to seep into the other aspects of my life until it became a never-ending stream of dissociation. I've had maybe 5 breaks in this constant derealization, all of which lasted for 5 seconds at the most

I've been told that anxiety is the root cause of this, and this seems to be true since I've felt a major surge in my anxiety levels these past 2 years, and the two seem to feed off each other.

>> No.3192555

So far I've been to 4 different psychiatrists, psychologists and counselors

#1. Helped me get off lexapro, as I thought that pill may have been casing this sensory fog, he also suggested herbal supplements to help regulate my sleep and to help fix the derealization
The supplements seemed to help for a little, and the level of detachment I felt seemed to decrease slightly. But eventually it came back full force

2. Just talked with me about it.
Didn't really help

3. Just talked about it. Tried to find root causes in my everyday life and encouraged me to spend time with friends and look for a girlfriend. Recommended brainlink powder as she thought the synapses in my neurons were weakened or some shit

4. Prescribed seroquil and melatonin to help me sleep.
Seroquil seemed to help with anxiety and the detachment a little bit, but they both eventually came back all the way
Its like I can feel my mind and the drugs pushing against each other in a fierce battle, some sort of mental vs. drug war.

The best way I can describe it is to imagine that your thoughts are clouded beyond belief. It's really hard to focus on anything.

So far the other boards have recommended

1. Draw and write to clear the fog out of my head

2. Do something extremely out of the ordinary to force my body to react and wake up. Like skydiving or bungee jumping. Anything like that

3. Get in shape. A strong body leads to a strong mind, so sayeth /fit/

I hope someone here can help me

>> No.3192561

And after that things just started to go down hill. I had to see a therapist and my mom kicked me out the house. A few years later I decided that enough is enough, so I ran all the way back home and up the driveway. The door was right there in front of me. I slowly walked towards it. Opened the door. Got on the floor. Everybody walk the dinosaur.

>> No.3192570

>>3192561
Good one but yah, I'm op

>> No.3192572
File: 15 KB, 251x197, loooool.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3192570

>> No.3192572,1 [INTERNAL] 

Yep, smart as fuck we are

>> No.3192587

>It's really hard to focus on anything.
You could try Adderall.

>> No.3192600

OP I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. I dive a lot for my job and most of the time when I'm driving I just disengage and let my autopilot do the driving but this hasn't caused me any problems. What exactly is the issue you are trying to resolve?

>> No.3192608

>>3192600
The autopilot never left. It's like I'm zoned out all the time

>> No.3192614

I had it pretty bad when I used to smoke weed a lot. Absolutely sucked.

Can't really help you though. /fit/'s sounds like the best solution.

>> No.3192618

>>3192614
How'd you get rid of it?

>> No.3192631

if weed is giving you anxiety, try another strain. I had some ak, and it makes me pretty depressed, then I tried a different strain and it was fucking awesome. Philosophising and such. Goes well with my 40k's of running per week.

You honestly can't do better than regular cardio, a bit of weed weekly.... and a gf doesnt hurt either.

>> No.3192623

>>3192554
The other boards solutions 2 and 3 sound like they actually might help. Not sure about how good creating another world for yourself to live in through art would be though. Even if they don't work 2 would give you something to talk about and 3 would get you buff.

Also are you a loner? I don't mean that you are some social reject but I mean do you often like to do stuff by yourself? If so I'd suggest the third psychs offer been around other people might help you. If you have the feeling that you are the only real person and everyone else is just in a movie then that sounds a lot like what I had a while back and forcing myself to do social stuff helped out alot.

>> No.3192633

>>3192623
I never said I smoked weed?

>>3192631

A lot of the time I do feel like I'm in a movie and everything I experience is scripted, or that I'm dreaming all of it

Fuck, idk

>> No.3192650

>>3192554
Welcome to my world OP, where nothing seems real and the only lucid reality existed between the ages of 0-10. Everything thereafter is just a blurry haze. You're getting old OP, get used to it.

>> No.3192656

>>3192650
also, I've learnt that if I do things myself, rather than relying on others, I remember and recall things much easier

>> No.3192657
File: 384 KB, 960x1280, 1304594293200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

it's usually a symptom in comfort from routine that causes subconcious repetitive actions. to feel different to your "auto-pilot", break the routine you do everyday and participiate in doing something you cannot recognise or understand, therefore no longer automatically controling your actions because you are at a standstill.

>> No.3192658

I used to have what you're describing. Do you think about the feeling a lot?

At first I tried to really get in touch with the feeling and really understand what it was, but that just kept making the derealization worse. Then at some point I just figured "well fuck you then" and consciously stopped thinking about it. Every time i was reminded of the feeling I made sure to quickly ignore the thought itself and immediately occupy my mind with something else.

I havent' gotten the feeling for about two years now, even if I think about it. I just forgot how to tune into it completely. So yeah, the solution is to just not think about it at all. And keep yourself occupied, don't get lost in thoughts.

>> No.3192668

>3. Get in shape. A strong body leads to a strong mind, so sayeth /fit/

Gotta say I agree with this, getting /fit/ was pretty fantastic for me, however I was pretty normal before, I was just weird and didn't like attention. It mainly helped though with my huge procrastination problems somehow, I just managed to start focusing on everything.

I still hate attention now, but i'm learning to tolerate now that I get a lot more of it.

>> No.3192669

>>3192668

OP, what's your current diet, weight and height like if you don't mind saying.

>> No.3192685

>>3192587

I suggest this. It helped me clear that exact fog you spoke of. Try adderall first, and then move to something like vyvanse for an all day effect.

>> No.3192699

>>3192669
I'm just over 5 10
Weigh 177

I eat out once a week, hardly ever drink soda
Ummm, for breakfast I usually have something like eggs, waffles, or a bagel

Lunch is usually a sandwich

Dinners usually meat, spaghetti, stuff like that

>> No.3192750

>>3192699

To be honest you sound perfectly healthy.

This is probably a huge long shot, and don't do it if you don't want to, but have you tried any basic cardio programs? I'd recommend Couch to 5k. It's an interval based stamina training with quick and satisfying results.