[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 69 KB, 537x372, graphene-sheet[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3186034 No.3186034 [Reply] [Original]

Graphene,

http://www.hawaii.edu/news/article.php?aId=4483

Is this shit legit? Doesn't say whether it's a viable method for mass production directly but certainly hints at the idea.

If so, how long do you think it'll be until we see practical uses in our everyday consumer electronics and whatnot?

I'm hoping soon.

>> No.3186063

If it becomes legit, well, the resistance in graphite will be lowered by a factor of 100.

That means you will get 100 times faster computing and 100 times less heat accumulation simultaneously.

>> No.3186086

>>3186063

Fantastic material, amirite?

I'm looking forward to it's use in batteries and flexible screens for handheld devices as well!

>> No.3186099

from what i understand it isn't much of a semiconductor replacement, but better as a structural material

i'm eyeing biological assembly of this stuff. cultivate some viruses to build the scaffold with no defects

>> No.3186100

Does this have an application for space elevators?

>> No.3186105

>>3186063
> resistance lowered by a factor of 100
>thus 100 times faster computers

ITT: drawing bad conclusions

graphene is no silver bullet it has a long way to go
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/01/21/ibm-graphene-wont-replace-silicon-cpus/1

>> No.3186119

Yes, and what is more interesting is that the wafers will also be able to be much thinner due to the heat-accumulation problem, giving room to smaller transistors. There is so much potential from all ways.

The electric components will get lighter, faster and less energy consuming. Silicon valley will be looking like old nazi technology in comparison. The graphene will also be a material that light can pass trough which means that the chip will give room to completely new types of screens and everything. People have no idea how big thing graphene actually is.

It might actually give us the first real step into quantum computing as well (due to it's flexible nature of reacting with other materials). Coal is afterall the main component in organic chemistry.

>> No.3186148

>>3186099
sorry, silicon replacement

>> No.3186174

>>3186148
Not yet, but it will soon make silicon tech and it's wafer appliances look like ancient soviet artefacts.

The movement patterns of the electrons are truly remarkable. The electron can move so much more freely between the atom-thin carbon layers, there is so much more this can be applied with I cant even imagine all the stuff. I'm already seeing these "Graphene Technology Majors" in the future.

>> No.3186176

>>3186100

That would be carbon nanotubes, same material, different structure.

>> No.3186186

>>3186100

Dunno, but it's the same problem as any other fullerene: It does not solve the problem of vibrations running up and down the structure, shattering it to pieces, the moment the smallest micrometeorite impacts.

I would have a source for this if Eric Drexler's site had not gone all lolhacked.