[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.17 MB, 1920x1080, 1306359012932.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3166377 No.3166377 [Reply] [Original]

I don't know if this is the right place, but help me /sci/

I want to enhance my mind, I want to unlock as much as its potential as I can, if not all of it. I want to be sharper, remember things better, and think through situations more clearly and efficiently.

Please lend me any resources, tips, diets, brain exercises, etc. that you may have to help me in this endeavor. Thanks. In return, a good wallpaper.

>> No.3166384

Shoot yourself with a shotgun, sticking on the wall will give you a whole new insight into this world.

>> No.3166385

>>3166384

Interesting thought, though I do not wish to end my life in the process.

>> No.3166402
File: 56 KB, 100x547, Top25Cigars-02[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

apparently there are studies to suggest that this* game can develop fluid intelligence.

*http://brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/

>> No.3166448 [DELETED] 

An interesting topic; unfortunately the dwellers of /sci/ (like the first poster) will be generally unwilling to give up anything that will lessen their competitive advantage to yourself, insecure about their intelligence as they are. I will try to help, though, in the hopes that giving away a few tips might sway others to do the same.

1. Brainworkshop: I've had this for a few years but don't use it regularly enough. It is a multiple n-back training program that potentially improves working memory (perhaps the largest component of intelligence)

2. Polyphasic sleep is probably not sustainable for long periods of time so it is not a real, viable option. However, you can abstract the benefits of this idea by taking an 45-90 min nap in the afternoon to decrease the total about of time you sleep at night without side effects.

3. Mnemonics, Method of Loci, and other heuristics like these really work. Practice them, because you can improve your ability to make lots of 'connections' between things which makes it much easier to commit something to memory.

4. [The Doctor] gave me these tips when I started a thread on 'Body Hacks':

"Breathe with your belly, not your chest. This gives you a deeper breath, more oxygen and better posture.

Start a ketogenic diet of mainly fat. Your metabolism will use less oxygen, you will not need to eat as much or as often.

Stimulate your immune system. It needs pathogens to keep fit."

5. You might wan to experiment with nootropics to find how to 'balance the deficits' in your brain chemistry.

"Holy Grail of Orgasms: L-Arginine, 1000mg strength, taken 1 time daily = 1000mg Zinc, 50mg strength, taken 1 time daily = 50mg Pygeum, 100mg strength, taken 2 times daily = 200mg Lecithin, 1200mg ttrength, taken 1 time daily = 1200mg

Near Eidetic Memory: Pramiracetam, 1200mg strength, taken 1 time daily = 1200mg Alpha GPC, 800mg strength, taken 1 time daily = 800mg Galantamine, 12mg strength, taken 1 time daily = 12mg"

>> No.3166451 [DELETED] 

6. Figure out your schedule and what is actually essential. If you can hone the efficiency with which you can take care of your needs (hunger, hygiene, masturbation, sleep...) you will have a lot more time for work or whatever else you really want to do.

7. Annon posted this:

"okay another thing I observed: if you consciously open ur eyes real wide and go through the world like this, it "enhances" ur working memory (at least it seems to me like that) Same thing happens if all of a sudden you get surprised by something, the natural response is to open ur eyes real wide and keep staring at whatever triggered the surprise. Know that feel of time slowing down in high-stress situations and the exact recall of events afterwards? Its ur brain taking in or processing more information."

Narrowing your eyes might increase focus.

I don't have any citations for these, but they seem plausible (Happy people smile more, but also, smiling makes you more happy)

8. Some research shows real-time strategy games improve your ability to multi-task and direct attention.

9. There is substantial evidence for the benefits of meditation.

10. The absolute, MOST important things: Eat well, sleep well, exercise

Good luck OP.

>> No.3166455

OP your mind's well-being is tied to your emotional and physical well-being. To unlock your potential you need to become the best human you can be in all respects. Focusing on intelligence at the expense of other areas will be counterproductive in the long run.

>> No.3166485

>>3166448

>Near Eidetic Memory: Pramiracetam, 1200mg strength, taken 1 time daily = 1200mg Alpha GPC, 800mg strength, taken 1 time daily = 800mg Galantamine, 12mg strength, taken 1 time daily = 12mg"

not OP here, dont know if anyone can help me with this.

I´ve read about this combination before and Im really interested in trying it, however Im unable to find prapiracetam in my country and buying it online is not an option (limited budget, customs here suck).

so my question is: would regular piracetam do?and if so, what dosage shouldI consider?

>> No.3166500

>>3166402

I took the time to download and give it a few tries. So far it seems like a good brain exercise, thank you.

>>3166451
>>3166448

Many interesting points, though could I ask you to expand on number five? I am not familiar with nootropics. Are they dangerous? I do not want to do anything that could potentially harm me.

>>3166455

This seems like a very sound mantra, indeed I have noticed in the past few months that the better off my body, emotions, and/or mind are, the better the other parts seem to be.

>> No.3166516 [DELETED] 

>>3166500
don't ask me to waste my time, 'oogle it, then ask specific questions

>> No.3166534

If you don't take fish oil capsules daily, then do. I've started to recently and my ability to concentrate with them is unbelievable. Plus there are other benefits to your general health.

Also get lots of sleep - if you try turning off the lights, tv, computer etc one evening, then you tend to get sleepy earlier, as it gets dark. I've got no empirical evidence for this, but I believe technology (amen) can keep us awake and occupied for far longer than we should be - resulting in less sleep.

>> No.3166558
File: 108 KB, 640x449, 1306992734580.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you really want to unlock your mind start to experiment with altered states of consciousness and hallucinogens. Guarantee you won't look at the world the same ever again.

>> No.3166577

>>3166558

To be honest I do not think I need hallucinogens to see the world differently, my open mind often wanders to quite different possibilities of this world. I am also not keen on the idea because(unless I am wrong) hallucinogens damage the brain. Which is counter-productive to what I wish to achieve.

>>3166534

I just recently started taking Omega 3 fish oil, I have noticed a slight increase in my alertness and mental sharpness, even if it is placebo, it is still a welcome improvement.

>> No.3166602

>>3166577
Not the poster of the idea, but trying marijuana once will not have any significant effect on your brain. There is, however, a correlation between marijuana and lack of motivation. Note the correlation, not causation.

It depends on what you are going for. To be creative, drugs can help (although some have side effects). You need to be relaxed to be creative. However, if you are looking for a more facts-orientated knowledge, then read lots, debate with people and question everything. Also find what helps you learn. I really like listening to podcasts ('EconTalk' is a good source, sounds boring, but is excellent)

>> No.3166636
File: 137 KB, 500x667, tumblr_lcpw9qD36t1qz6f9yo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3166577

I'd say the verdict is still out with regards to Cannibus and LSD. A lot of what you hear is mainly government propaganda. But I respect your ideals. Although drugs and scientific knowledge an amazing combination.

I have the same goal as you and want to be the best person I can. All I can say is efficiancy, efficiancy, efficiancy; don't procrastinate and fit as much into your day as possible. Everything else is secondary.

>>3166602

With regards to the motivation thing. If I'm going to smoke pot I'm conscious of this 'problem' and mitigate for it. Whether it exists or not is up for debate. I'm still as productive as I used to be if not more

>> No.3166651
File: 52 KB, 500x375, 1302690881492.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Go talk to Guru

>> No.3166696

>>3166636
Agreed. I think the motivation thing is largely due to a people fitting the perceived stereotype of a 'stoner'. These kinds of people probably consume a lot of alcohol and other drugs as well, so simply putting it down to weed isn't fair.

The causation most likely goes the opposite direction as well - unmotivated people who aren't succeeding at life tend to search out drugs to find happiness and sense of purpose.

>> No.3166714

caffiene
but I've found no other substance that is safe and has the same effects.

>> No.3166731

>>3166714
Caffeine doesn't alway work. For me, I get shaky, a period of extreme concentration, then I feel too relaxed and tired to concentrate. Has a massive downbuzz

>> No.3166739

>>3166731
yeah I think really good coffee is what you need, starbucks pike + cinnamon is not bad. I am in canada, Tim hortons shittiest coffee made by man. You can also try arabic coffee it tastes like ginger but it's great. I'm also looking for an alternative.. no luck so far.

>> No.3166751

>>3166739
>starbucks
>really good coffee

enjoy your dirty water

>> No.3167049 [DELETED] 

i dissapoint /sci/, nothing else? hOKay, I continue:

*9. I have zero religiosity and i think spiritualism is utter bullshit; when I meditate I dont use a mantra. I alternate between:

a. Body Scans: start somewhere like tip of one of your toes and systematically traverse your body. It takes time, don't rush it.

b. Sensory Scans: one-by-one, cycle though your senses and be aware of all the information coming from that organ while blocking everything else out (there are more than 5, but they are difficult to fixate on without the temporal aspect eg. if they aren't changing; somatic awareness is covered by a.)

11. Do things deliberately; don't allow yourself to have an automatic response unless you've deliberately allowed it. (this is a weak tip, but important)

12. Resist comfort. Comfort = Boredom, Discomfort = Excitement (:: novelty and new ideas)

>> No.3167055 [DELETED] 

13. Don't suppress your emotions. For years I believed that if I worked to mute my feelings I would be more empirical and rational. This helped me somewhat in being more aware of my environment, but is not worth it. We evolved these attributes for a reason, and even if they are no long relavant we can't overcome how we are wired with will power. I ultimately became depressed for a number of years partially because of this. (depressed =/= sad; sad is a healthy response, and in a strange way feels good, while depressed is a deadened state) Being able to go into OFF mode is definitely a good skill to have. However, you lose the advantages of emotionality by fixing that state.

Think about the last time you got mad - you feel it in your body and your mind, it is energizing. When a troll posts something particularly ignorant a wave of witty retorts and insults comes to mind, many more than if you were indifferent. Embrace this power. Learn to wield it appropriately and in the correct context. The next time you want to memorize something you are reading, think about all the different ways you 'feel' about it and your retention will go up.

(this definitely relates to) >>3166455

14. Trying conceptualizing in terms of negative space.

15. Think, but don't make thoughts your aim

>> No.3168710
File: 23 KB, 380x353, dyn002_original_380_353_pjpeg_2621310_7c5a356d7a3425d0d68a30350932c69f[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

derp I'm stupid because I'm ugly and depressed

>pic related its me

No seriously you can only reach your potential and that's it. You can't miraculously become smarter.

>> No.3168762
File: 177 KB, 690x417, baramabump7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I will try to help, though, in the hopes that giving away a few tips might sway others to do the same.

iFail. Way hard. 0/15.

>> No.3168778

amphetamines

>> No.3168814

>>3168762
just realized all my posts were deleted when i got banned a few hours ago. i'm too lazy to repost them considering they generated zero helpful responses, but i will if anyone cares. part three of four in the following because i'm a good sport and i really want new ideas.

>> No.3168819

i dissapoint /sci/, nothing else? hOKay, I continue:

*9. I have zero religiosity and i think spiritualism is utter bullshit; when I meditate I dont use a mantra. I alternate between:

a. Body Scans: start somewhere like tip of one of your toes and systematically traverse your body. It takes time, don't rush it.

b. Sensory Scans: one-by-one, cycle though your senses and be aware of all the information coming from that organ while blocking everything else out (there are more than 5, but they are difficult to fixate on without the temporal aspect eg. if they aren't changing; somatic awareness is covered by a.)

11. Do things deliberately; don't allow yourself to have an automatic response unless you've deliberately allowed it. (this is a weak tip, but important)

12. Resist comfort. Comfort = Boredom, Discomfort = Excitement (:: novelty and new ideas)

>> No.3168821

>>3166751
>poorfag

>> No.3168881
File: 350 KB, 818x560, baramabump11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An interesting topic; unfortunately the dwellers of /sci/ (like the first poster) will be generally unwilling to give up anything that will lessen their competitive advantage to yourself, insecure about their intelligence as they are. I will try to help, though, in the hopes that giving away a few tips might sway others to do the same.

1. Brainworkshop: I've had this for a few years but don't use it regularly enough. It is a multiple n-back training program that potentially improves working memory (perhaps the largest component of intelligence)

2. Polyphasic sleep is probably not sustainable for long periods of time so it is not a real, viable option. However, you can abstract the benefits of this idea by taking an 45-90 min nap in the afternoon to decrease the total about of time you sleep at night without side effects.

3. Mnemonics, Method of Loci, and other heuristics like these really work. Practice them, because you can improve your ability to make lots of 'connections' between things which makes it much easier to commit something to memory.

4. [The Doctor] gave me these tips when I started a thread on 'Body Hacks':

"Breathe with your belly, not your chest. This gives you a deeper breath, more oxygen and better posture.

Start a ketogenic diet of mainly fat. Your metabolism will use less oxygen, you will not need to eat as much or as often.

Stimulate your immune system. It needs pathogens to keep fit."

5. You might wan to experiment with nootropics to find how to 'balance the deficits' in your brain chemistry.

"Holy Grail of Orgasms: L-Arginine, 1000mg strength, taken 1 time daily = 1000mg Zinc, 50mg strength, taken 1 time daily = 50mg Pygeum, 100mg strength, taken 2 times daily = 200mg Lecithin, 1200mg ttrength, taken 1 time daily = 1200mg

Near Eidetic Memory: Pramiracetam, 1200mg strength, taken 1 time daily = 1200mg Alpha GPC, 800mg strength, taken 1 time daily = 800mg Galantamine, 12mg strength, taken 1 time daily = 12mg"

>> No.3168898
File: 151 KB, 503x394, baramabump8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

6. Figure out your schedule and what is actually essential. If you can hone the efficiency with which you can take care of your needs (hunger, hygiene, masturbation, sleep...) you will have a lot more time for work or whatever it is you really want to do.

7. Annon posted this:

"okay another thing I observed: if you consciously open ur eyes real wide and go through the world like this, it "enhances" ur working memory (at least it seems to me like that) Same thing happens if all of a sudden you get surprised by something, the natural response is to open ur eyes real wide and keep staring at whatever triggered the surprise. Know that feel of time slowing down in high-stress situations and the exact recall of events afterwards? Its ur brain taking in or processing more information."

Narrowing your eyes might increase focus.

I don't have citations for these, but they seem plausible (Happy people smile more, but also, smiling makes you more happy)

8. Some research shows real-time strategy games improve your ability to multi-task and direct attention.

9. There is substantial evidence for the benefits of meditation.

10. The absolute, MOST important things: Eat well, sleep well, exercise Good luck OP.

>> No.3168924

>>3168881
>insecure about their intelligence as they are
>Start a ketogenic diet of mainly fat
am I being trolled?

>> No.3169076
File: 97 KB, 456x330, baramabump19.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3168924
are you being insecure? my intention was ironic, and partially motivational.

besides the ketogenic diet, which i haven't read much about, these are all reasonable suggestions (albeit, fairly mediocre ones).

i will be happy if i get one new >resource, tip, diet, exercise, idea

please help /sci/

>> No.3169093

>>3168881
"Start a ketogenic diet of mainly fat. Your metabolism will use less oxygen"
What a bunch of bullshit. Your "doctor" doesn't know physiology.