[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 53 KB, 329x336, 1303340402001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3155168 No.3155168 [Reply] [Original]

I'm not religious, but I still believe in life after death.

I think to myself:
If the universe is eternal and my body and brain is made up of its "matter", then one day all the "matter" that is making up my body now will again be united.
You see, if the universe is eternal, the same thing that happens now will happen again at some point in the future.

Of course it is incredibly unlikely for our earth to form, to produce life, to bring forth humans and eventually me.
But however unlikely it is, if the universe is truly eternal, it will happen someday and then I will become conscious again, again able to experience life.

Is there something I fail to see?
Some way to disprove what I just said?

>> No.3155170

>>3155168
The second law of thermodynamics.

>> No.3155175

Consciousness is an emergent property. So no...you are wrong. Death is a tragedy that we won't overcome for about 50 years, the Singularity.

>> No.3155182

makes sense.......

>> No.3155186
File: 19 KB, 175x190, feelsbadman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>yfw the atoms in your body will be fused into heavier elements and you will never exist again

>> No.3155188

Eternity doesn't necessitate repetition, at least not repetition of everything. Any sequence can get stuck in a loop and stay that way forever. You don't necessarily have to repetitively cycle through all conditions for something to be eternal.

>> No.3155199

If a girl drinks my piss for years until all the atoms in my body have been replaced by new ones, with the old ones incorporated into hers, do I become the girl?