[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.39 MB, 1599x1059, 1295222952404.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3147250 No.3147250 [Reply] [Original]

How do you, as a rational person, view death? Does it depress you at all?

>> No.3147259

>Does it depress you at all?
Nope. What good would it do? I'm going to enjoy the time I have and make the most of it.

>> No.3147263

"If there's no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. Because that's all there is: what we do. Now. Today."

>> No.3147276

I consider it a necessary end. As every good book, has an end, so does every life. How can you evaluate a persons worth and his life, if he lives forever?

>> No.3147282

it used to, but then after my existential crisis i got over it.

since it is evident that all consciousness, and reality is experienced because of neural transmission and a functioning brain, once that neural transmission stops, there is no longer consciousness or any experience.

so i firmly believe that at death there is nothing.

>> No.3147321

ITT:
2 deep 4 u

As someone who isn't a massive try-hard though... the concept is depressing as fuck, going from experiencing the beauties of universe to absolute nothingness.

>> No.3147338

ITT: People proclaim things as truth when no human has the possibility of knowing them.

>> No.3147362

>>3147338

so are you claiming truth in the notion that we have "no possibility of knowing them?" because if youre saying were making assumptions you are as well with that statement.

however if you accept logical deductions that are the result of scientific measurement as potential truth's or understanding of something studied then it is safe to say that some things said in this thread have the possibility of being true more so than them being 100% false.
>>3147282

>> No.3147366

i believe there will be nothing after death and it scares the sht out of me

i once convinced myself i was immortal using quantum suicide and immortality
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide_and_immortality
but realised that it was flawed, i feel very uncomfortable when i think about death

>> No.3147369

I'll age.

If I live forever, I will live forever as an old man.

>> No.3147401

It's inevitable, so why bother worrying?

If anything by the time it happens it'll be welcomed.

>> No.3147415

>>3147321
LOL
Just because you haven't gotten over your existential crisis of mortality, you think you're somehow superior? LOL

Me and all the other anons who posted above you are going to enjoy life now, for as long as it lasts.

>> No.3147447

death and immortality both disturb the shit out of me.

let's say I am inevitably doomed to a meaningless end. it would mean I am not special in any way and all my labor and sweat is without reward.
on the other hand if I am indeed the center of the universe and all existence flows relative to me, it means I am the only one responsible for everything.

I feel horrible.

>> No.3147461

>>3147447
>all my labor and sweat is without reward.
lol no. You have your life! And poor decisions make for thoroughly unenjoyable lives.

>> No.3147476

>>3147447
>I am indeed the center of the universe and all existence flows relative to me
Uh, that's not what immortality means, either in the sense of a technologically-enabled perpetual mortality or a metaphysical existence after death.

>> No.3147513

>>3147461
problem is I do not know how to enjoy life. I cannot relax. everything I do feels forced. everything takes a huge amount of effort, even doing nothing at all. I either have to sort out my thoughts (which I know is a futile attempt), or try to not think of anything, which makes me feel really dizzy. it has been like this for years now.

>> No.3147532

It's just the transition that's the problem.

>> No.3147534

I was actually thinking about this earlier today, and the prospect of death doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to. The thought of being a senile old man does though, to some extent. Death is just the natural progression after life. Hopefully I'll have made my mark on this world before it comes, but if not, what's it going to matter? Sure as hell won't bother me. I would like to know if death was coming, though. It would be nice to say goodbye to people I care about.

>> No.3147554

I don’t believe in linear time so the whole was/is/will be thing is an illusion caused by our inability to perceive it all at once.

>> No.3147591
File: 211 KB, 428x344, 1306278926604.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Quantum Immortality

>> No.3147624

>>3147591
is flawed

>> No.3147694

>>3147447
>I am not special and all my labour and sweat is without reward

Ecclesiastes, son.

>> No.3147712

I worry about, in death, the same things I worry about in life. Not a particle more. I worry about whether my loved ones will be safe and happy when I'm not around.

As for my goals, or fear of something weird happening after death, well, no. This doesn't bother me. There is no good reason to think death is anything but non-existence. So I won't care about my goals, because I won't exist.

>> No.3147736

I am so bored and uninterested in life I genuinely don't mind the idea of death, in fact I'm kind of looking forward to it, not in some kind of OH GOD LIFE IS SO DEPRESSING but more that death to me is less a terrifying void and more just complete serenity.

>> No.3147748

>>3147250
I think death is natural and inevitable. I don't know why but I think prolonging it is unnatural even though it's obvious that the process of prolonging life is by definition natural if it is done so by natural being, such as ourselves.

It doesn't make me sad because my life is a bit rough. Not horrible, or anything, just not easy and even though I do not want to rush the death process/or have it come earlier than necessary--in a small way it will be a relief from the stressors of everyday life.

I imagine that if my life was a breeze I would fear death and be more saddened by it and try to avoid it at all costs.

Now, having said that, I do value life and I know that there is so much amazing beauty in it. I can appreciate the small things in life too. Like the relief that a cool breeze can bring on a warm day, for example.

I believe that death is the end of you as you know it. I think when you die, the internal bacteria that was born with you (that you got from your mother's womb and any surroundings) helps to tear you down in the process of decomposition-- your body, your brain are eaten away and then your atoms just go somewhere else, or do something else, or are attracted to something else and who knows what they do then.

I know that this is morbid but I wonder if they have ever done studies on what atoms do when they change states. Like from solid to gas/to water etc.

I don't think our consciousness but, weirdly, I do believe that atoms (or maybe some other essense) learn. Kind of like a smart fabric can learn not to wrinkle, or something like that. I have no proof of that and don't even know if that is really possible but meh...forget about that. I'm just rambling. haha

>> No.3147758

>>3147694
You cannot be.. THAT DUDE? Are you or not?

>> No.3147793

I stoped thinking of death and put all my faith in Aubrey de Gray.

>> No.3147803

No, because I know every part of my body will be reused and put back into the system eventually. Basically, my death provides the means for other things to continue. The atoms and molecules of my body will always be around, thus achieving some semblance of immortality.

>> No.3147807

>>3147250

The fear of eventual death is an irrational evolutionary emotion, so i over-ride it.
You don't feel pain when you're dead, so it's not bad. It's just nothing. Why fear it?
It's just like being asleep.

I do fear an untimely death however, as there is much i would like to achieve with my life.

>> No.3147823

>>3147793

haha you do realise even with medical immortality people will still die from accidents, unless we all lock ourselves in super-secure safes and live through surrogate bodies.

>> No.3147826

>>3147282
I second that!
(FIRMLY)

>> No.3147833

I believe in either being cast into the same oblivion as we were in before birth, or some sort of reincarnation, but I'm not religious. You may laugh if you wish.

>> No.3147844

>>3147823
yeah but it's psychologically not the same thing, the death isn't inescapable anymore.

>> No.3147865

I'd love to be able to live forever, but I'm content with my limited life span.

>> No.3147872

Not just yet. I have a feeling it will creep up on me in an unexpected way when it's my turn.

>> No.3147896

Death frightens me insomuch as I wouldn't want to die or lose my cognitive awareness at any point. There's no logical difference in dying of old age or smothering a 4 year old, in the grand scheme of things. I'd probably grasp at anything to continue living, no matter how painful or horrifying it is or what I'd have to do to prolong my own existence. Once someone dies, an eternity in front of them continues that they'll never be able to experience or know anything about. I mean, I WANT to see what happens to mankind, to see if we kill ourselves or go into space, to understand how the universe works on even more fundamental levels and to see what kinds of technological madness scientists discover and take advantage of.

People who don't genuinely frighten me from an intellectual standpoint. The only things I can think of are accepting that it's inevitable, which is basically giving up, or figuring that your existence is so worthless you have no merit or want and never will if you COULD continue living afterward.

I think most people who say they're not afraid of death or who accept it are lying to themselves. Since almost everyone with a gun to their head or with death staring them in the face will want to go on living. Not many people will let some guy on the street painlessly kill them in their sleep tonight if the chance presented itself.

>> No.3147898

>>3147366
flawed how?

>> No.3147911

Okay, here is a question:
let's assume the universe is eternal.
Eventually, through the millennia, our brain would come back together in the same form.

Also, what is consciousness?

>> No.3147915

>>3147898
Try it out and see.

>> No.3147944

>>3147911
I consider it the cognitive continuation of the mind. It's why a perfect clone of you or a mind uploaded into something isn't you after someone shoots the original in the head. Albeit, perfect copies would be like a twin and just like you in every way, they won't be "you".

>> No.3147957
File: 39 KB, 529x458, 13_19.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3147915
Come ooon, tell me.

>> No.3148003

>implying that anyone in this thread is actually alive or even exists at all

>> No.3148007
File: 22 KB, 358x311, 00000787.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3147366
You didn't by chance stumble upon Jacques Mallah's paper refuting QI, did you?
I think QI is bullshit but that man is the worst kind of pest:
a philosopher talking about advanced physics.

>> No.3148023

>>3147944
but the key question is: what the fuck is you?
I swear this is the single question that keeps me up at night.

>> No.3148057
File: 14 KB, 156x222, 57_12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3147833
I won't laugh until we find out what consciousness actually is.

>> No.3148065
File: 200 KB, 500x375, cosmic_web_3-thumb-500x375-62263..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We are all part of the infinite one. Atheists are always so sad, lol.

>> No.3148145

>>3148065
m theory seems to go this way, but I just have to gaze at the stars to feel like a mote of dust.

>> No.3148146

>>3147896
Oh and some people are just as small-minded as religious people. They're afraid of feeling bad so ignore negative things that will happen and the downsides to death, while just blindly accepting them. I'd like someone else to give an opinion on that though. Are you just saying to yourself, "I won't notice after I'm dead so it doesn't matter!" Then what's the point of living at all? If you were going to be painlessly killed, how do you logically justify continuing to live with an opinion like that?

>> No.3148164

>>3148057
http://buddhism.about.com/od/whatistheself/a/skandhasnoself.htm