[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 23 KB, 350x295, scientist-test-tube.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3138928 No.3138928 [Reply] [Original]

So /sci/ the subject says it all. What kind of research do you do? Or alternatively what type of research do you hope to do in the future?

Me, I do developmental neurobiology with human embryonic stem cells.

>> No.3138937

>implying anyone on /sci/ actually does anything that has to do with science.

>> No.3138940

>>3138928

what's that like?

>> No.3138943

Studying to become a vertebrate paleontologist. Currently learning the bitchwork.
inb4 "OP KILLS BABBY"

>> No.3138944

I am just starting undergrad research this summer.

The project I am working on is about mapping image segmentation algorithms to reconfigurable hardware (FGPAs) in order to achieve speedup. Hopefully it should be able to get it working on real-time video.

>> No.3138950

>>3138928
This summer I will be at Brookhaven examining transient behavior of a test nuclear reactor.

>> No.3138953

Would like to clear up some things on the embryological level
Study mechanics of Alzheimer disease, hoping to find clues
Transcriptional, posttranscriptional modification research. I know this is very wide, but alot still needs to be found out.

>> No.3138971

>>3138940
what is what like?

>> No.3138975

>>3138944
Any recommendations for how to learn FPGAs on your own? There are some cheapish boards like the xilinx spartan. I have a basic understanding of digital systems and programming. Is there a book that would help with the digital stuff while explaining the HDL?

>> No.3138990

>>3138971
>>3138971
I don't think there's much to learn about FPGAs themselves, you just need hardware and software to program them.

We used Digital Design Principles and Practices by John F Wakerly for my Digital Logic course. We did not study hardware programming languages, but the book does go into some detail about VHDL and HDL. For the "Digital Stuff" it is well explained, thorough, and a good read, I recommend it.

Also, we used the Spartan in class.

>> No.3139011

i'm doing a project analysing spatially resolved spectra from the RHESSI satellite to investigate the formation of solar flares.

>> No.3139013

I look at rocks.

>> No.3139027

>>3138990
Thanks for your experience. That book seems highly recommended at amazon too.

>> No.3139037

>non-biological research
>most likely shit tier

>> No.3139060

>>3138990
>>3139027
It depends on what specifically you want to do? If you want to understand how they work, learn about reconfigurable computing. If you just want to design components and program them, learn digital design. Sorry, I don't really have any resources for you. I suggest you just buy a chip/board, get the software to program it and start writing VHDL and creating stuff. For my digital design class our final project was to create a CPU using VHDL. it was very intense, but awesome. Start with something simple like some ripple carry adders or something and just go from there. i also made a vga controller which was cool

>> No.3139076

Last year I had my own project working on Tissue Engineering and Biomechanics, specifically relating to Arteries.

Now I work at a corporate research lab doing Computational Chemical Thermodynamics (Physical Chemistry).

>> No.3139091

string theory research

>> No.3139095

>>3139060
Yeah, I'm not sure what I want either. It's been years since my digital systems class. It's not really related to what I'm doing, but I always felt like I never learned enough from the class. We did some CAD stuff, but never any FPGA.