[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 31 KB, 345x276, 1270818005180.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3135591 No.3135591 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, what would be best to learn the following areas of math up to a level that will allow me to start doing first year Uni math in each field? Khan Academy, a year 12 textbook or another resource (suggest)?

-Probability & Statistics
-Calculus
-Algebra
-Trig
-Geometry
-Topology

Thanks.

>> No.3135605

Did you not take Calculus in high school?

Necessity in a lot of sciences, but even if you didn't take it, they usually just require you to take it or suddenly just tell you one day that you need to learn Calculus on your own for this course.

>> No.3135608

>Trig, Algebra
I don't see much hope if you've got to learn those. Preparation for university level math is probably having heard of elementary calculus in the first place.

>> No.3135656

I already have a high paying job within my parents business, I never needed math in high school. I want to learn out of interest I guess, so late high school is a good place, and just see where it takes me.

>> No.3135947

>>3135591
Trig and algebra aren't fields, they're what you need to move on to more complex topics. You should start yourself off with these first then move on to calculus. Use Khan Academy backed up with textbooks and start off at GCSE level because it sounds like you don't have much experience in maths.

>> No.3135954 [DELETED] 

>>3135608
Unless he wants to major in math, many people start at pre-cal in college, even though it is technically remedial. Especially if they switched midway from business/liberal arts to a science or engineering major, or if they are entering college late and forgot high school math.

My suggestion to OP:
>Buy/rent/acquire a decent calc textbook
>If you need to, brush up on algebra and trig on khan academy/the internets
>Also, read the sticky, tons of resources everywhere for this sort of endeavor