[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 97 KB, 418x384, 106.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3131657 No.3131657 [Reply] [Original]

Ok /sci/entists i need this explained. So Baryons, being fermions, are not exempt to the pauli exclusion principle. So when two atomic nuclei are put under huge enough pressure they begi interacting to this principle, and are fixed in energy states similar to electrons. Am i getting that right? that in substances such as metallic Hydrogen the nuclei are as close as their electrons use to be relative to one another? and that because of this proximity they are fixed into a crystalline structure because of the exclusion principle? also if this is the case how can nuclei fuse in reactors? shouldn't they become metallic the moment they reach this proximity?

>> No.3131681

Baryons like protons and neutrons cant be in the same state, but such as in helium, they can be close to one another.

>> No.3131728

>>3131681
so how does nuclear fusion take place? both Protons will have half integer spin, positive charge and once close enough energy level, so how do they fuse?

>> No.3131735

>>3131728

You throw them really fucking hard at each other.

>> No.3131761

>>3131681
>>3131728
>>3131735
Guys, you're confusing a few points.

Pauli exclusion between nucleons is what holds up neutron stars. The protons have disappeared because they have combined with electrons to become neutrons, but the neutrons do not combine because of the pauli exclusion principle. When you have just too damn many neutrons in the star, not even this effective force can stop a collapse, and you get a black hole.

In fusion, pauli exclusion of nucleons is never overcome. It's pauli exclusion of electrons, and coulomb repulsion of nuclei (they are positively charged). I'm unclear as to which factor is more significant - but it's pauli exclusion of electrons that makes matter solid.