[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 136 KB, 1224x754, 2009-05-20-eye-001[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3118741 No.3118741 [Reply] [Original]

What gives you hope in humanity, /sci/?

>> No.3118763
File: 110 KB, 500x688, legolas eating skittles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>hope in humanity

>> No.3118769

god

>> No.3118772

What is humanity?

>> No.3118774
File: 31 KB, 327x240, 935[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you hang out on /sci/ long enough, you start to see little scraps of interesting information. Then you become interested in the TED talk links that get pasted. You start reading a sci-related news site like ScienceDaily. You hear all these aspiring intelligent people list what they would like to change in the world.
Threads form based on any random person asking an innocent question on how to fix some common problem. There are many times when the thread devolves into trolling, but sometimes there are those really special threads where everyone's excited and optimistic, firing ideas off each other, discussing new ways to improve whatever they're talking about. Sometimes you see someone make a whole project about getting hamster to live comfortably at the bottom of a pond. Or an attempt to build a very efficient but not well-known type of nuclear reactor to help solve the energy crisis by raising awareness. And sometimes there are those people who do things not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

'Your species is capable of such beautiful dreams... and such horrible nightmares.'

>> No.3118790

>>3118741
I never gave a fuck about humanity nor do i expect anything from it. I accept it as is. Why dont you.

>> No.3118794

That eventually something better will grow from what we currently are in the distant technological future, assuming we don't go extinct.

I have no hope in the humanity of today or that for thousands of years to come, however, and think we are still right at the beginnings of history (with some types of information, still prehistoric). I'd only keep us around so that something else can have a shot at rising up from our shit.