[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 38 KB, 324x500, 83585.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3117827 No.3117827 [Reply] [Original]

I want to become a math geek, /sci/. I see the potential wonder in understanding complex mathematics, but I need a bit of advice on where to begin...

I figured a good way to do this might be reading popular books on mathematics. I'm starting with this book... any other suggestions? Effective and entertaining math books you've read that are appropriate for beginning mathematicians?

>> No.3117843

the sticky has some good math resources, especially if you need to brush up on anything. It's also free, so there's that.

>> No.3117859

>>3117843
I'm aware of the sticky, but I think I'm more interested in generating a fascination with math as a learning method than just the raw methods of mathematics.

>> No.3117871

Shitty book is shitty. Use books actually meant for studying.

>> No.3117887

>I figured a good way to do this might be reading popular books on mathematics.

No.

The best way is to enrol in a math course or pick up a university text book and work through it.

>> No.3117900

Reading pop science/math books isn't going to grant you any significant new knowledge. They're entertainment for "science fans", not actual educational material.

I would liken gaining proficiency in math and science to body building. Both require a lot of hard work, most of which can get pretty tedious and exhausting.

If you want to understand complex math, you need to get a college textbook and work through it as if you were actually taking the class and studying for an exam. You don't need to break the bank on this; you can find old college textbooks on eBay for $10 or less. They'll be out-of-date, but with math that doesn't really matter because most of the shit you'll be learning hasn't changed for hundreds of years.

There's also MIT and Berkeley's online materials, but I would still suggest a textbook.